Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DECH
Punch Card
Views: 594
Message 1 of 5

Booting Ubuntu from a USB

Followed the directions on the Linux site and downloaded "Ubuntu" and an apparent required programme called "Rufus" and then nothing. Some guide suggested clicking on F12. Fn/F12 produces a Boot Menu screen but it was unresponsive i.e. no options were reachable. Someone suggested that with 2BG of RAM /1.3GHz (Idea Pad 100S) it would barely run but this seems odd if Windows 10 runs alright. Any suggestions?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 592
Message 2 of 5

Re: Booting Ubuntu from a USB

It may help others to help you if you indicate what model laptop you're working with.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

DECH
Punch Card
Views: 562
Message 3 of 5

Have edited initial query in light of further developments. Further search resulted in a msg. that this machine does not support opening an operating system from a USB.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 537
Message 4 of 5

@DECH wrote:
Have edited initial query in light of further developments. Further search resulted in a msg. that this machine does not support opening an operating system from a USB.

That doesn't sound quite right.  The 100s should boot an OS from USB but it requires a 32-bit UEFI boot image.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

DECH
Punch Card
Views: 434
Message 5 of 5

Thank you; having attempted replication under Settings/Recovery (Win. 10) & selecting the USB option the msg. was that System doesn't have any USB option.... I wanted to try Linux Ubuntu just to be aware of the option - As if there was any real likelihood that their online instructions would be sufficient. I have no idea what a 32-bit UEFI boot image is (Rufus?) I would have and did hope that after all these years the Linux community would have comprehensive instructions with footnotes regarding any abnormal circumstances - not that a fairly new computer but with less than median RAM etc. is that odd.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors