cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 3,204
Message 1 of 17

Does Sleep/Wake work on X1 Extreme for any Linux?

Hi Everyone, I've installed Ubuntu 18.10 on my new-ish 4K X1E. I'm pretty happy with it - just about everything seems to work OK, and its performance compared to my W520 shows it's about 2.2x faster at video rendering (yes, I was hoping for more).

But the current gotcha is that I can't just close the lid to put it to sleep and then open it again to wake it up.

When I close the lid, it appears to sleep: the screen goes dark and the red light on the cover transitions to slow-blinks. But when I open the cover, the screen stays dark, and all I can do is long-press the power button to shut it down and restart.

So I'm wondering if this problem is unique to Ubuntu, or does sleep/wake work on other Linux distributions?

In particular, Pop!_OS has been proclaimed to work right out of the box:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/09/heres-the-best-linux-distro-for-your-lenovo-t...

(The author says that sleep works - it does for me too - but does it wake up? LOL :-)

If sleep/wake works for some other distribution, then perhaps it'll eventually be ported to Ubuntu - or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks!

Jim

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 3,120
Message 2 of 17

Re: Does Sleep/Wake work on X1 Extreme for any Linux?

I’m running Pop!_OS 18.10 on the X1E and had the same problems with sleep and wake. The only (partial) solution I have found is to map suspend to the power button and then put it to sleep using the power button. If the machine is put to sleep in this manner, it will wake without issue. If it goes to sleep on its own or I shut the lid, a hard restart is still required.

I hope this helps (and that a better solution presents itself soon).

--Pete

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,053
Message 3 of 17

This appears to be an issue with the nouveau video driver (open source nvidia) if you install the oem nvidia driver nvidia-driver-410 it appears to work correctly

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 3,044
Message 4 of 17

Well,... I'm running the Nvidia flavor of pop_os 18.10, which is supposed to (appears to) come with the OEM driver preinstalled, and the only way to put it to sleep so that it can wake again is to map suspend to the power button and use the button--just closing the lib requires a hard restart. So unless I am missing something, I don't this is the answer. If I am missing something (which is very possible), please explain.

--Pete

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 3,033
Message 5 of 17

I am running Ubuntu 18.10 installed with BIOS display setting changed to discreet mode.  Then once I install the NVIDIA drivers I change the BIOS display setting back to Hybrid mode.  Settings tool power tab is set to enable sleep on power button and auto sleep based on time for both battery and power.  Tweaks tool  is set to sleep when lid is closed. All appears to be  working correctly.  

j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 3,020
Message 6 of 17

Alas, I still cannot get Wake after Suspend to work on my 4K X1E running Ubuntu 18.10. I've tried:

1. Nouveau driver
  2. NVidia 415.13 driver with Discrete graphics
  3. NVidia 410.78 driver with Discrete graphics
  4. NVidia 410.78 driver with Hybrid graphics

I've set both Lid Close and Power Button to Suspend but there's no apparent difference between them: neither work (the screen stays dark, although the Power Button transitions from slow-blink to steady on. I have to long-press the Power to shutdown and reboot.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks ...

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 3,010
Message 7 of 17

Sorry, no, not really. (And sorry, I don't mean to be a shill but... try Pop_OS.)

Do you have the latest BIOS (1.17) installed? 

I also read somewhere that turning off all wake on LAN settings in the BIOS helps. You might try that as well.

plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 2,956
Message 8 of 17

Ok, so after some further reading and tinkering, I think I've found a solution to the sleep/wake problems. Everyone's mileage may vary but the following settings appear to be working (fingers crossed) without a hitch for me. 

In /etc/default/grub add rcutree.rcu_idle_gp_delay=1 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and add nouveau.modeset=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=.  Save, sudo update-grub, and the reboot.

Note. I am running the Nvidia flavor of Pop_os (with the Nvidia OEM driver) in hybrid mode.

P.

j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 2,939
Message 9 of 17

I so desperately want this to work, but alas, I the screen stays black when I try to wakeup.

I was using (and am returning to):
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nouveau.blacklist=1 nouveau.modeset=0 nouveau.runpm=0 mem_sleep_default=deep"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="no_console_suspend initcall_debug"

With these lines I can occasionally (like 15% of the time) successfully wake up.

I am running Ubuntu 18.10, discrete graphics, BIOS 1.17.

I haven't tried Pop_OS! because of the hassle of installing a new OS that's different than my other machines.

Thanks for your suggestion, though - the fact that it's possible gives me hope, lol.

Jim
plb2010
Punch Card
Views: 2,817
Message 10 of 17

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the wake issue seemed behind me for much of the last week--so much so that I turned my attention to (focusing on my day job and my family) solving the next issue on my punch-list, getting the fans to calm down and not run so much--and then everything went to hell. Thursday evening, System76 pushed out a minor update to the kernel (4.18.0-15-generic) and their power management tools. Now, no matter the GRUB entries (or kernelstub entries in the case of Pop_os) I use, the unit will not wake from sleep 95% of the time. The no wake issue seems to be consistent no matter which graphics mode I run. :/

--Peter

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors