cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 3,890
Message 1 of 15

Dual boot Ubuntu on ThinkPad X1 Extreme working for anyone? Black screens or freezing here...

Nothing but issues on my end. Secure boot off; fast boot & hibernation off. Not getting much help on r/ThinkPad, r/Ubuntu, nor AskReddit, so thought I'd try here.

Black screen:

• Ubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • Xubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • UEFI only w/o CSM

Whether you select "Try Ubuntu without Installing" or "Install Ubuntu" from the bootable USB, it just goes to a black screen and sits there.

See option #1: https://askubuntu.com/a/162076/841726

Freezing GUI:

• Ubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • Xubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • UEFI only w/ CSM
  • Legacy / UEFI
  • Legacy only 

This actually loads the installer! But when asked to restart at the end of install, it freezes. Force a shutdown and try to boot into Ubuntu and it freezes at the login screen or just after entering credentials. Only twice, of a hundred or so attempts, did it actually go into the desktop... only took about 10 minutes. Then took 10 more minutes to actually open terminal or browser. Eventually just froze.

See option #2: https://askubuntu.com/a/162076/841726

White screen with gibberish

• Ubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • Xubuntu Desktop 18.04
  • UEFI only w/ CSM
  • Legacy / UEFI
  • Legacy only
  • Enable any combination of the following before install: acpi = off, nolapic, and nomodset

Installer actually loads, does not freeze when asked to restart at end of installation, but when you go to login to Ubuntu, you get this screem:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/70101/garbage-black-text-on-white-screen-on-a-server

Live Server and Standard Server:

• Ubuntu Live Server 18.04
  • Ubuntu Standard Server 18.04
  • UEFI only w/o CSM
  • UEFI only w/ CSM
  • UEFI / Legacy
  • Legacy only

It actually loads the installer in UEFI only w/o CSM! In Live Server, I can't get past the menu requiring a connection. In Standard Server, I just can't get the setup working. Probably just a lack of ability on my part.

Pop!_OS:

The author of this article pretty much ran into the same issues I did:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/09/heres-the-best-linux-distro-for-your-lenovo-t...

I've never heard of this distro, but if it supports Visual Studio Code, Docker, VMware or VirtualBox, window snapping from keyboard, workspaces, a decent Office substitute, apt-get, I'll give it a shot.

Anyway, I have Windows 10 dialed in under UEFI w/o CSM and not trying to reformat it. Was a pain getting it setup properly, especially the Thunderbolt 3. Was about to RMA it when it magically started working. 

Thanks for the help.

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 3,872
Message 2 of 15

Re: Dual boot Ubuntu on ThinkPad X1 Extreme working for anyone? Black screens or freezing here...

In BIOS did you set the graphics from Integrated to Nvidia (discrete)?

ghorwin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,871
Message 3 of 15

Re: Dual boot Ubuntu on ThinkPad X1 Extreme working for anyone? Black screens or freezing here...

Hi ??,

looks like you still run an older BIOS version.

I've setup Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS on my Lenovo X1 Extreme just yesterday successfully.

My detailed setup notes (including BIOS update hassles) are here: lenovo_x1_extreme_ubuntu1804.html

Good luck,

Andreas

ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 3,846
Message 4 of 15

Oh yeah, meant to point out I'm using v1.19 BIOS.

yfnew
Token Ring
Views: 3,841
Message 5 of 15

Dual-booting Pop!_OS and Windows 10 on my P1. I had to disable Secure Boot in BIOS setting, but after that I could install and use Pop!_OS without any big issue (NVIDIA driver in Linux is still kind of painful, but there's really no better solution).
j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 3,822
Message 6 of 15

Andreas, thank you for your post and your web page on getting Ubuntu and Windows to dual-boot.

I went through much of the same procedure to install 18.10 and Windows on my X1E. It almost all works, including a 4K display on the DisplayPort and a HD display on HDMI.

However, one feature still eludes me: sleep and wake. I can put the system to sleep by closing the lid or pressing the power button, but it won't wake up. I need to hold the power button so it shuts down, then I have to reboot.

Can you reliably sleep and wake your system?

Thanks,

Jim

ghorwin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,768
Message 7 of 15

Hi Jim,

suspend (holding ALT key pressed, then clicking on Shutdown/Pause button in menu) works. When I wake up the system later, it comes up fine but forgets my HDMI setting - have to press Special+P again to restore external monitor.

I have a FullHD display and 1920x1200 monitor, though, which may be slightly different to your setup.

-Andreas
ghorwin
Paper Tape
Views: 3,764
Message 8 of 15

Hi ??,

from your symptons it looks like you have hybrid graphics enabled in BIOS - see my post about installing with discrete graphics enabled first, and then switching back to hybrid once the nvidia drivers are installed.

-Andreas
ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 3,727
Message 9 of 15

Yeah, actually I do hybrid on. Been "affraid" to put it on to discrete. Seemed like <= 1.17 it bricked the laptop if you did. 1.18 was supposed to fix it, but it was still bricking laptops. 1.19 was finally supposed to fix it, I've just been too affraid to try it lol. But it sounds like it is all good now. I'll give that a shot. New SSD coming Monday, so will report back then.

ishraqiyun77
Serial Port
Views: 3,636
Message 10 of 15

Hi ghorwin,

Just curious if you made the Ubuntu boot medium using GPT or MBR. I've always just used MBR for the bootable USB, so just curious if I should switch it to GPT.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors