06-15-2019

DK

3 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

Dual-boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on two separate SSD’s

2019-06-15, 20:44 PM

I’ve recently purchased a ThinkPad T480, and installed an extra SSD in the WWAN slot. The two drives are:

WDC PC SN720 SDAPNTW-512G-1001 (would like to have Ubuntu on this drive)

Toshiba RC100 240GB (would like to have Windows in this drive)

Currently, Windows 10 is installed on the former, and so my plan is to do a clean install of Windows on the Toshiba drive, format the WD drive and follow this guide - https://askubuntu.com/questions/726972/dual-boot-windows-10-and-linux-ubuntu-on-separate-hard-drives - in order to install Ubuntu on it. My questions/concerns are as follows:

1. Is this a good way to do it?
  2. TMP 2.0 is currently enabled in the UEFI BIOS. I know that it is something different than the “secure boot” setting, which has to be disabled according to the guide above, but can I leave it as is, or do I have to disable it as well?
  3. I’ve read that Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode should be enabled for Linux, but that it can cause some problems with newer versions of Windows. What does it do exactly, and how should I configure it?

I hope the questions make sense.

Options

7585 Posts

01-13-2008

US

76748 Signins

2145383 Page Views

• Views: 2145383
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Dual-boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on two separate SSD’s

2019-06-16, 0:28 AM

Hello and welcome,

A couple of comments.  Others will have things to add - and disagree with ;)  In no particular order...

You don't need to disable secure boot to install Ubuntu.

I'd make recovery media with the running Windows and use that later to install to the Tosh SSD.  Truly "clean" from MS media is fine too if that's your preference, but you'll probably find that you need some of the Lenovo stuff anyway.

Everybody loves Rufus but it isn't remotely necessary for a UEFI install.  Download the Ubuntu ISO and copy its _contents_ to a FAT32 flash drive.  Use 7zip or even just Windows Explorer to do that.  (You can make bootable MS clean install media the same way.)

I like to install an OS to its target drive w/out another drive in the machine.  That makes sure the OS installs are independent and one hasn't hijacked the other's EFI partition or boot loader.

So: make recovery media and set it aside.  Make sure your BIOS boot mode is UEFI only.  Boot the Ubuntu install flash drive and let it have the entire WDC drive. Reboot once done to make sure Ubuntu is OK.  Pull the WDC drive, install the Tosh, boot and run the Win recovery or install media you made.  Once that's up and running reinstall the WDC and you should be good to go.

Select the OS you want via F12 at boot time.  Turn off fast startup in Windows or you won't have an F12 option at boot time unless you shut down prior with SHIFT+shutdown.  Restart should allow F12 regardless of fast startup.  Generally speaking fast startup (which turns Win shutdown into something more like hibernation) isn't appropriate for dual boot configurations.

Aren't you sorry you asked...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save