Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,746
Message 1 of 8

Erasing Windows 10 and installing ubuntu 16.04, laptop doesnt boot

Hi All, 

I just brought a new lenovo P72. I started it and completed the formalities like login etc in windows and it looks fine. I wanted to install ubuntu 16.04 on it and so while installing I selected the option "erase disk and install ubuntu". This is because I do not use windows so did not want dual booting. Since I had done the same in one new laptop I proceeding with instaling ubuntu. The installaton is successful but I am not able to boot now . Please see the file attached. "Lenovo1" shows the error that I get at the start when I try to install ubuntu from my usb. 

If I dont use "erase disk and install ubuntu" and use "something else" instead, I see that the "device for bootloader instalation is "/dev/nvme0n1 unknown (256.1GB)" . I was expecting it to be  "Intel ssd**" in place of "uknown". Is it correct. Either way the installation in successful but when I try to restart I see the same error as shown in "Lenovo1.jpg". When I force shutdown it and restart, I just see a black screen with: 

/dev/nvme0n1p2: recovering journal

/dev/nvmee0n1p2: clean, 187925/15097856 files, 1942610/60375296 blocks .

and nothing happens. I am basically help with no windows and ubutu not booting. is it a graphics problem. I tried setting "acpi=off" in grub but that doesnt work. 

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with this. Its a new harddrive so I do not need a backup. 

Thanks, 

Indrajeet

aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 1,635
Message 2 of 8

Re: Erasing Windows 10 and installing ubuntu 16.04, laptop doesnt boot

Is there any reason why you want to install the old 16.04 LTS release?  I would try installing the latest 18.04.1 release first.

The current LTS release has a newer kernel and it might detect the hw properly.  Also an oem 18.04 image is certified to boot on the P72. 

Otherwise disable "secure boot" in UEFI settings  and  verify that the USB flash drive boots in UEFI mode.

You might try booting the last  16.04.5 release, but I think  the chance to successfully install Ubuntu on this system is to try 18.04.1  LTS   or the latest 18.10 non LTS release. 

inds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,625
Message 3 of 8

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I tried installing ubuntu 18.04 but I am not even able to complete the installation. In between the installation, the computer hanged. I tried to time with different usb's. the successful installation was with ubuntu 16.04.5 and 16.04.3 both but using none I could boot.
aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 1,594
Message 4 of 8

I guess the system is still too new to be fully supported.  
How many SSDs are installed?  Make sure that you disable any RAID configuration in BIOS/UEFI.

Before installing any OS, wipe the first few MBs  of each ssd with dd to overwrite any gpt or even mbr signatures.

Than again try 18.04.1 , not the first 18.04 release, or even better try installing 18.10. 
18.04.2 should be released soon  according to this release schedule.  So you could try one of the current pre-release daily images of 18.04.2. Most likely they still have some bugs...

Otherwise, I would try installing a minimal installation and see if this works and go from there.

If I understand this report of a successful installation, than they installed the linux-oem  kernel and not the default kernel line.
I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu, but maybe there is a point in  the installation process where  you can select which packages/kernels you want to use.

inds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,556
Message 5 of 8

Hi, thanks again, for replying. I have only one SSD. I have disable RAID configuration and secure boot. Yesterday I tried again. I entered grub and added an extra keyword as explained in the first answer here:
https://superuser.com/questions/1277670/bios-acpi-error-message-when-installing-os-on-msi-z370-a-pro
Apparently something to do with nvidia drivers but I do not understand it. After this change I could install both 18.04.1 and 16.04.5.
I first tried 18.04.1, it worked but the problem was that I could not move mouse from the touchpad. terminals and all the folders were working ok but the moment I tried to find system information either from command line or system monitor it hanged. On restart it would work but again hang doing something else.

I then erased it and tried to install 16.04.5. This is because 16 is what I really want. Again the same nomodeset trick and it got installed, ubuntu opened but sometimes I just see blank screen on boot without any startup screen or sometimes I see everything but it hangs randomly.

I will again try to reinstall it again tonight and try to install nvidia drivers if that changes anything.

if trying to install ubuntu after downloading it from the official site there is no option of selecting a kernel, so I dont know how to install oem kernel. I will call Lenovo's tech support while installing it tonight.

Thanks,
Indrajeet
aUserHasNoName
802.11n
Views: 1,520
Message 6 of 8

according to this message an Ubuntu derivative named POP! OS works well on the P72.

nomodeset  instructs the kernel not to switch console to  higher resolutions, avoiding issues with newer gfx cards.

Installing the linux-oem kernel might be possible with the text based debian installer.

Is the system stable if you boot just into text mode (no gui)?  Than you can install the kernel with 'apt install kernel-oem'.

But you'll still need to install a newer Nvidia driver to get system fully stable. I guess right now POP!OS might be the way to go.

Did you try one of the daily 18.04.2  pre release images?

inds
Paper Tape
Views: 1,514
Message 7 of 8

Hi,
Thanks again! Yesterday I was lucky to install ubuntu 16.04.5 normal kernel. I read about nomodeset and you are right that it forces not to load video drivers.
During installation I changed "quiet splash" to "nomodeset" in grub and got it installed, however, I still had the problem of not getting the startup screen. I tried restarting a few times and could get it fortunately. I immediately installed nvidia drivers and since then it is working fine. I installed ROS, few python packages, restarted it multiple times and it booted fine. The only issue is that touchpad doesnt seem to work but I didnot troubleshoot it so far.
I am just wondering if making a bootable usb with an ubuntu image that has nvidia drivers installed would help get rid of this issue in future.
I really appreciate your help.

Indrajeet
ChrisM5
Punch Card
Views: 1,421
Message 8 of 8

I had no issues installing Kubuntu 18.04 and later upgrading to 18.10.

I guess one important point it so switch in the BIOS to discrete graphics (make sure you have a current BIOS version first, older version were bricking the machine!).

The touchpad got a fix in newer kernels. 

So as it's brand new hardware 18.10 might really be the best version (and then upgrading till the next LTS comes along and then stick to the LTSes)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors