cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powerriegel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 661
Message 1 of 5

Hybrid graphics on external monitor with Thunderbolt dock on X1 Extreme 2019 and Ubuntu 19.10

Good morning,

I have a brand new X1 Extreme Gen 2 which rund Ubuntu 19.10. I also bought the Thunderbold 3 Workstation dock. However, the dock display out is not used in hybrid or intel mode It works only in pure Nvidia mode.

I already tried around a lot, installed bumblebee, latest nvidia driver and so on. Connecting the HDMI monitor directly to the notebook does not help, too. The notebook seems to mention a display been connected. On Kubuntu, there always came a pop up whch asked which onitor to use. But regardless what I choose the external monitor does not get a signal. On Gnome/Ubuntu, nothing like this seems to happen.

It's an older LG model 24" with HFMI and DVI ports.

Also tried this tool which sounds very interesting, but...

sudo intel-virtual-output 
No VIRTUAL outputs on "

Maybe it's worth to dig deeper here?

BIOS-settings: TB ecurity off, secure boot off, any Microsoft reated stuff off.

Conclusion:

• It's not related to Thunderbold, as direct HDMI connection does not change anything.
  • There seems to be a connection but the monitor is not fully recognized.
  • The graphics outputs seems to be disabled on hybrid or pure intel mode.
  • It would be ok for me if the monitor would work in hybrid after reboot or to call a command. But it's annoying if its not working and I have to switch to pure nVidia + reboot to get it working.
Vaal1977
Fanfold Paper
Views: 652
Message 2 of 5

Re: Hybrid graphics on external monitor with Thunderbolt dock on X1 Extreme 2019 and Ubuntu 19.10

On Windows hybrid mode is not working correctly, at least not with an external display. It becomes very laggy, see https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-extreme-screen-lag-on-quot-second-screen-o...

powerriegel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 631
Message 3 of 5

Re: Hybrid graphics on external monitor with Thunderbolt dock on X1 Extreme 2019 and Ubuntu 19.10

Does this happen in Windows with pure HDMI connection, too? Or only via Dock?

If so, the dock is useless crap.

linux-user
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 563
Message 4 of 5

What exactly is your dock? Is it the 40AN0... or the 40ANY... ? So Gen 1. or Gen2?

powerriegel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 558
Message 5 of 5

40ANO170E

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors