Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

54 Posts

06-01-2018

United States of America

82 Signins

484 Page Views

• Views: 484
  • Message 1 of 2

I can only boot Ubuntu and not install firmware on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th

2021-05-07, 12:37 PM
I am not sure when this started but I am currently not able to boot anything but Ubuntu 21.04. I do not have dual boot. When I hit F12 I do get the boot device menu but regardless of what I select like a USB stick with a distro I want to try the screen goes blank and I get the normal Ubuntu boot. Also, there's firmware updates available. They install fine from my desktop or with fwupd, but when I reboot and the firmware is supposed to be installed I still just get the normal Ubuntu boot and the firmware is not installed. I have installed firmware many times without problems in the past.

Is there something in BIOS I may have set at some point? Could this have happened when I upgraded from 20.10 to 21,04? Anyway, if anyone know what could be wrong and what I should do to fix it it would be great.
Answer
Options

54 Posts

06-01-2018

United States of America

82 Signins

484 Page Views

Re:I can only boot Ubuntu and not install firmware on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th

2021-05-07, 15:26 PM

@ cdysthe6 wrote:

I am not sure when this started but I am currently not able to boot anything but Ubuntu 21.04. I do not have dual boot. When I hit F12 I do get the boot device menu but regardless of what I select like a USB stick with a distro I want to try the screen goes blank and I get the normal Ubuntu boot. Also, there' firmware updates available. They install fine from my desktop or with fwupd, but when I reboot and the firmware is supposed to be installed I still just get the normal Ubuntu boot and the firmware is not installed. I have installed firmware many times without problems in the past.

Is there something in BIOS I may have set at some point? Could this have happened when I upgraded from 20.10 to 21,04? Anyway, if anyone know what could be wrong and what I should do to fix it it would be great.

This got resolved. Turns out Secure Boot was enabled for some reason. Disabling that had the firmwares install without problems! 

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

54 Posts

06-01-2018

United States of America

82 Signins

484 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re:I can only boot Ubuntu and not install firmware on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th

2021-05-07, 15:26 PM

@ cdysthe6 wrote:

I am not sure when this started but I am currently not able to boot anything but Ubuntu 21.04. I do not have dual boot. When I hit F12 I do get the boot device menu but regardless of what I select like a USB stick with a distro I want to try the screen goes blank and I get the normal Ubuntu boot. Also, there' firmware updates available. They install fine from my desktop or with fwupd, but when I reboot and the firmware is supposed to be installed I still just get the normal Ubuntu boot and the firmware is not installed. I have installed firmware many times without problems in the past.

This got resolved. Turns out Secure Boot was enabled for some reason. Disabling that had the firmwares install without problems! 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms