Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Domin0
What's DOS?
Views: 252
Message 1 of 3

Ideapad 710s-13ISK got bricked because of the linux only BIOS

Finally got around to trying to put Ubuntu on my Ideapad after installing the needed BIOS that was released back in Oct 2016. BIOS install was fine. It wasn't until installing Ubuntu did I run into a issue. Started to run the full installation of Ubuntu when the laptop error'd and crashed, ultimately corrupting the install.

My laptop is now utterly useless unless I take it apart and pop in a new SSD with a OS already installed. I've tried booting to a USB to re-install Windows or multi different linux flavors but it won't recognize the USB ports now. The only thing I can get too, regardless of the BIOS settings is the 'Boot Menu' with the ATA HDD: Samsung, USB HDD: Generic Storage Device, and Windows Boot Manager. All 3 of which do nothing at all.

I'm at a point where I have a paperweight of a laptop.

Lenovo Support has been behind worthless on this, being the only way it seems I could get ahold of someone is to pay for their techexpert support.

Any advice or ideas how to fix?

bbaker6212
Token Ring
Views: 132
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ideapad 710s-13ISK got bricked because of the linux only BIOS

" but it won't recognize the USB ports now. " this makes no sense.  If the BIOS was once working it should still work, you just need to have a properly prepaired live-USB boot drive.   Try one of the many "Boot repair disk" or "system rescue" boot drives.
Often when the Grub boot manager in most Linux install disks won't boot I download and create a rEFInd boot manager USB drive.
If this boots it will recognize and boot pretty much anything windows or linux installed on any drive partition or plugged in USB drive.
So you can create two USB drives - one with Ubuntu or LinuxMint and one with rEFInd.  Then you should be able to boot and install Linux.
There are also ways to create bootable Windows USB drives.  rEFInd should be able to detect and boot these as well.

Ideapad 330S-15IKB 81F500NSUS, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 AC-WiFi
OS: Win10, Win7(mostly), Manjaro 18.0.4 Xfce k/4.19.24-1, Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15
bbaker6212
Token Ring
Views: 131
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ideapad 710s-13ISK got bricked because of the linux only BIOS

Once you can get Linux to boot from a live-USB drive you should be able to "wipe" the SSD clean before attempting a new re-install using the linux "dd" command: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/aosymm/what_is_your_process_of_wiping_a_linux_install/

If you need more help try asking on linuxquestions.org

Ideapad 330S-15IKB 81F500NSUS, Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO 850 SATA SSD, 14GB Optane M.2 PCIe NVMe, QCA9377 AC-WiFi
OS: Win10, Win7(mostly), Manjaro 18.0.4 Xfce k/4.19.24-1, Linux Mint Mate 19.1 k/4.15

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors