Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notz
Punch Card
Views: 45,214
Message 1 of 31

Installing Ubuntu 16.04 on Yoga 900S

I have no luck installing Ubuntu 16.04 on my yoga 900S because the Samsung NVM disk is not detected. I tried several BIOS options and also arch linux without luck.

Does someone has a hint for me?

7Fox7
Paper Tape
Views: 44,359
Message 2 of 31

Re: Installing Ubuntu 16.04 on Yoga 900S

Hi, for information just installed 16.04 to a Yoga X1 without too much trouble. Still have some small issues with screen/touchpad/pen and fingerprintreader.

Process used was as follows:-
1 – create USB UEFI with 16.04 on it.
2 – select boot from USB stick within windows (10) (settings, update & security, recovery, advanced start-up – restart now, Choose option -Use a device, USB HDD).
3 – Entering BIOS select USB stick with Ubuntu on it and move to top of selection order. Save and Exit.
4 – Boots from USB stick, select try first.

At this point when I tried to install Ubuntu I had the same problem in that it would not select the SSD.

5 – Using live install I ran Gparted Partition Editor – shrunk windows partition (in my case down to 100Gb). I left the recovery partition alone.
6 – using option to install Ubuntu alongside Windows boot manager (this installs Ubuntu and swap partitions into the space created when Windows was shrunk).
7 – Finish install and update package a few times – each time seemed to find something else that started working.

At this stage I now have a dual booting X1. Touchscreen works fairly well with pen and finger but in tablet mode the mouse also continues to work. Touchscreen is treating finger contact as if I was trying to draw a box to enclose an object on the screen. Pen buttons seem to function but perhaps not as well as they could. Fingerprint scanner not yet working.

Hope that this is of some use.
Now if only I could the pen working in applications under windows I would be much happier – looks like time to read the manual.
notz
Punch Card
Views: 44,345
Message 3 of 31

Do you have an PCI-E SSD and the SATA-Controller in RAID Mode? The Problem is the RAID Mode it's something intel special an not supported by linux. A complete lspci -v shoould be enough to see if the controller operates in raid mode.

Former Employee
Views: 44,176
Message 4 of 31

Does disabling Secure Boot in BIOS, followed by a reboot, allow Linux to be installed?

Thank you,

notz
Punch Card
Views: 44,169
Message 5 of 31

No, that doesn't help. We need an Bios where we can set the SATA controller to SATA mode instead of the default RAID mode. 

Competitors also have done Bios updates to get Linux support for their newer models that have a PCI-E sata drive. But they are reacting much faster than lenovo... 

Former Employee
Views: 44,130
Message 6 of 31

Thank you for confirming it is still not possible to install Linux on Yoga 900S-12ISK systems.

This issue has been escalated to the Development team. I am unable to offer a timeframe for fix at this stage in the investigation. With previous cases, BIOS fixes have been delivered anywhere from several weeks to several months. 

I will post again when I have more information on the investigation.

Thank you,

Highlighted
thomasez
What's DOS?
Views: 43,662
Message 7 of 31

Hello.

I also would like to use Ubuntu on my 900S.

Are there any progress on this issue?

jd180
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,488
Message 8 of 31

For the record, this issue is not limited to installing Linux. This problem effects any 900S-121SK owner wishing to reload Windows as well. When attempting to install Windows 10 from the official .iso downloaded directly from Micro$oft, one is unable to see the NVMe PCIe SSD as an option for installation.  This is absolutely unacceptable.  Being able to reload Windows is a fundamental troubleshooting tool for any device owner experiencing problems on their operating system.

Please fix this quickly. Opening an AHCI/SATA flag is an easy BIOS option to unhide.

Be wary of your reputation in the Linux community, Lenovo. Many of us Linux users control or have great influence over corporate hardware budgets. Guaranteed if this is not fixed, I will never purchase another Lenovo product.

Sorkvild
Paper Tape
Views: 43,416
Message 9 of 31

I've been using Linux on Lenovo laptops for around 10 years - on 2 ThinkPads and on an IdeaPad. I've bought 900s with the expectation to continue using Linux.

Inability to install Linux on it is a major disappointment. I'm waiting for the fix from you.

David_MTL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 43,287
Message 10 of 31

See our problems with Yoga 900

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/Yoga-900-13ISK2-BIOS-update-for-setting-RAID-mode-for-...

It seems that is similar...

Ubuntu user

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors