Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

Is there a known way to get the battery to stop charging at 60% with Ubuntu on a Lenovo g50-30?

2021-05-04, 20:26 PM

I recently setup dual boot to Ubuntu on my Lenovo g50-30. One of the reasons for doing this was because I was getting annoyed that 'conversation mode' (using Lenovo Energy Manager) was being reset every time the power was removed on shutdown. Conservation mode remains on reboot, but if the laptop isn't continually connected to power, conservation mode is reset once I log back in to Windows.

I read some threads on setting a charging threshold on Ubuntu, so I thought it would be possible. However, now that I have dual booted the laptop, it doesn't seem so easy.

I have found these threads which are somewhat related: here, and here. I've tried some of the methods, but I run into errors, which I believe is expected because they seem to be specific methods for Asus machines or Lenovo Thinkpads.

Some people have had a 'problem' that their computers have been stuck in conservation mode after dual booting Ubuntu with Windows, but this 'problem' is what I want. I tried to set conservation mode on windows and log back into Ubuntu, but once I rebooted and removed the power, it had reset again.

I am searching online specifically for "g50-30" and specifically not for "Thinkpad", but nothing comes up so maybe it's not possible?

Does anyone know if there's a way to set a charging threshold that works on a Lenovo g50-30? Or perhaps a way I could set in on Windows and get it stuck, so that it doesn't reset when I remove the power.

Thanks.

Answer
Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

3 Signins

10 Page Views

Re:Is there a known way to get the battery to stop charging at 60% with Ubuntu on a Lenovo g50-30?

2021-05-05, 20:03 PM

UPDATE:

The current version of TLP doesn't work for Lenovos that aren't Thinkpads. Fortunately, the Ubuntu Stack Exchange pointed me to an alpha test for TLP 1.4 which introduces compatibility for other models of Lenovo plus other manufacturers of laptop also. For Lenovos, it used the existing conservation mode driver which limits the charge to 60%.

This worked perfectly for me, and solved the problem. I haven't yet tested whether it resets when power is removed like it did on Windows, but this method will allow me to turn on conservation mode from the command line, so I should be able to easily implement a daemon on reboot to deal with this if I have to.

Replies(2)
Options

1259 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

528 Signins

6505 Page Views

• Views: 6505
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Is there a known way to get the battery to stop charging at 60% with Ubuntu on a Lenovo g50-30?

2021-05-05, 14:11 PM

Hello,

The exact keystrokes or graphical buttons/sliders to effect changes on battery thresholds depends on exactly which distribution, which version of the distribution, which desktop GUI environment, Which version of the desktop environment, and which graphic backend mode the graphical environment was started to use.

So as you discovered, how the computer was set up under Windows 10 has absolutely no latent effect when Windows is stopped and the other operating system is activated.  Your other operating system is some kind of Ubuntu.....

You are probably using a graphical windowing enironment, using the mouse to click on icons :).   To find power control options available use the mouse and open your settings screens.   Battery charging thresholds may be present.   If option you want is not available on the graphical page, the power management application might have command line options, not accessible from the graphical environment.  Find which power management application is used.    I don't use ubuntu but do use GNOME desktop.  GNOME desktop uses power management package named upower.

IF you are using GNOME:   (Either default startup  in Wayland graphics with mutter backend compositor, or started with special command option to use X_Org backend.)

Open a terminal window and type "man upower"    and "man Upower" to learn what command line options are available for the upower package.

If what you want is available, you can place the command shell instruction into a .profile script that is always executed when your computer starts up.  There are a plethora of command shell scripts that execute at startup, depending upon details... :(

IF upower doesn't have the coniguration you want  available try installing a package named "tlp"

Other users may have suggestions, especially for graphical interfaces available for installation as additional software packages.

Good Luck,

Usedtoberich

Answer
Options

2 Posts

05-04-2021

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 3

2021-05-05, 20:03 PM

UPDATE:

The current version of TLP doesn't work for Lenovos that aren't Thinkpads. Fortunately, the Ubuntu Stack Exchange pointed me to an alpha test for TLP 1.4 which introduces compatibility for other models of Lenovo plus other manufacturers of laptop also. For Lenovos, it used the existing conservation mode driver which limits the charge to 60%.

This worked perfectly for me, and solved the problem. I haven't yet tested whether it resets when power is removed like it did on Windows, but this method will allow me to turn on conservation mode from the command line, so I should be able to easily implement a daemon on reboot to deal with this if I have to.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms