Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buckyball
Serial Port
Views: 1,491
Message 11 of 13

Re: Lenovo Y500 SLI - Linux (Ubuntu) support

> Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that I confused you with my text that got edited almost ten times.

No problem. (I've had some weird problems with the forum editor, where part of my (re)edits get zorched and cannot be recovered from the autosave buffer. I'll edit offline and cut/paste from now on.)

> But yeah, I was actually talking about the MBR part.

> If I delete all the partitions in GParted and then just install full Ubuntu on the free space, will it work? Or do I still need to convert? This is the part that got me concerned.

Yes, with one qualifier:

To avoid all of the issues with "booting-Linux-on-GPT-disks-and-systems-with-UEFI-BIOS" you will want to create a new MBR-format partition table.

For my part, the safest way to do that is to completely remove the existing GPT partition table. To accomplish this, we will use a command-line program called 'sgdisk'.

(N.B. - Simply deleting the existing partitions in Gparted will not suffice.)

[ A point of attribution - this section is based on material from Ron Smith's excellent web site dealing with all things GPT, UEFI, booting, etc.

Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux

The page dealing with removing GPT data is HERE. ]

Boot from your LiveCD.

After you have booted the LiveCD, open a terminal and issue the following command:

(the # or $ is the command prompt)

# which sgdisk

which should return something like:

# /sbin/sgdisk   

if it can't be found, let me know - the alternative is a bit more hairy.

BIG SCARY WARNING - the following assumes you only have the SDD and HDD as disk drives. If you have any other drives mounted - USB flash, etc. - stop now and let me know how it's set up.

If 'sgdisk' is there, and the above warning condition does not apply, great!

Now you can issue the following commands:

# sgdisk -Z /dev/sda
# sgdisk -Z /dev/sdb

This will "zap" the GPT data on the first two drives.

Then shut down and reboot back into the LiveCD and run the installer as per normal.

As a final note, I would really encourage you to install to the HDD only, reserving the SDD for the "drive cache" feature coming in kernel 3.9 (coming late April 2013).

The reason is this will allow all of your HDD-based filesystems to benefit from the cache vs. having only a portion of your file systems run directly (and really fast) from the SDD. Trust me, I'm a professional. Smiley Wink

May the (open-)source be with you.

Ihsan95
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,473
Message 12 of 13

Hmm.. I'm gonna install Ubuntu from LiveUSB, so there will be an USB mounted. What I want to do is the following:

Mount LiveUSB get in 'Try Ubuntu Without Installing' desktop and then just unplug the USB and THEN issue the command. Will this work? And does the Ultrabay Graphics Card count?

Thanks!

buckyball
Serial Port
Views: 1,465
Message 13 of 13

> Hmm.. I'm gonna install Ubuntu from LiveUSB, so there will be an USB mounted.

We just need to insure that you target the correct devices. There will be three:

/dev/sda

/dev/sdb

/dev/sdc

The easiest thing is probably to run Gparted and look at each of the drives (using the pull-down list). Note which one has the FAT32 file system and is the size of your USB drive. Then open the Terminal and issue the commands to the other two drives.:

> What I want to do is the following:

Mount LiveUSB get in 'Try Ubuntu Without Installing' desktop and then just unplug the USB and THEN issue the command. Will this work?

No. Some LiveCD's have an option to copy the entire CD image into RAM, at which point you can eject the boot media (CD or flash drive). As far as I know, Ubuntu does not offer this option - though I could be mistaken. Feel free to check the Ubuntu forums. They're a helpful community as well.

And does the Ultrabay Graphics Card count?

No. Managing partitions and file systems only applies to block storage devices, such as HDD, SDD, USB flash drives, and MMC/SD/SDHC memory cards.

Hope that helps.

Remember - Having good backups always lowers the cost of failure...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors