09-12-2019 04:06 PM
Does anyone have Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon running on the latest variant of the Thinkpad X1 Extreme?
I currently run various flavours of Linux as virtual machines under Parallels Desktop on an aged Macbook Pro, but I want to break out of the Apple walled garden and run Linux natively as my OS of choice. At the moment my likely choice of new laptop is this year's model of X1 Extreme - sometimes called the X1 Extreme Gen2
I really like Mint, but I'm wary of buying the laptop without having first had it confirmed that Mint will run on it without problems.
I know the 'old' X1 Extreme is certified for Linux where it is purchased as a Linux system, but I haven't seen anything about the later version being similarly certified.
Does anyone have any experience of attempting a Mint installation on this system?
10-25-2019 06:35 AM
Yes. I tried, and failed.
Unless you're running a kernel later than 5.1 the inbuilt-wifi won't work (AX200 802.11ac). However around the same time as the wifi was added, the tpm log parsing was also broken.
So you need to find yourself a kernel later than 5.3.0-18 for that fix... And finding a distro with that combination was (Last week anyway) difficult. I had to use a USB Wifi dongle to update Ubuntu 19.04 to 19.10 which only just got the kernel update around thursday or friday last week)
Other issues I had were a 60% failure rate on USB booting once distros were written to a USB stick. It seems to be dependent on the stick used. I had an older 4GB SanDisk Cruzer that would boot some images. And a later 32GB Cruzer Glide that would boot images that the 4GB wouldn't. But there were quite a few I found I couldn't get to start booting at all (The Boot from USB option would attempt and then just return to the menu of locations to boot from. No error. Just no boot)
I also had issues with the thermals. Mine was perfectly capable of overheat on boot from cold and throttle back the CPU. That was annoying.
Maybe in 6 months it will be easier.
10-25-2019 09:09 AM
Thanks for your detailed response.
That all sounds a bit too wobbly for me. As you say, the situation may well change over the next few months.
I'll put it on hold for the moment and wait for developments to catch up with the hardware.