Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,331
Message 1 of 17

Linux compatibility with Thinkpad P53

Hi, I try to istall POP OS to this computer. The trackpad and the red Thinkpad pointer not work. I need to use an external usb mouse. Also, there is no wifi. Going to Setting and Network does not list wifi option nor list of routers.  Could you please let me know how to make them work? Thanks

benjoldersma
What's DOS?
Views: 1,248
Message 2 of 17

Re: Linux compatibility with Thinkpad P53

I was able to get the wifi working by upgrading to a Linux kernel version 5.1 and then using the a newer firmware from Intel for the AX200 (which seems to be the wifi model, at least on my P53):

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

basically, download and copy the microcode file into your /lib/firmware from this tgz: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/_media/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/iwlwifi-cc-46.3cfab8da.0.tgz

I had to remove the old iwlwifi module first, before I was able to get the new one working:

rmmod iwlwifi

modprobe iwlwifi

or you can probably just reboot.

I'm still working on the touchpad.

benjoldersma
What's DOS?
Views: 1,236
Message 3 of 17

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,216
Message 4 of 17

Thanks. For permanent fix, I typed the following but got an error message. What is in between protocol and ETSMBus? I tried a space, it did not work. Copied and pasted also did not work.

cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio1/protocol
ETSMBus

Alternatively, it is better to add kernel parameter  psmouse.elantech_smbus=0 to boot option? If so, what is the safest way to accomplish this?

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,185
Message 5 of 17

The correct way to fix this until the later kernel which has it fixed is released is to create a /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.conf file with the line "options psmouse elantech_smbus=0" in it and then rebuild your ramfs using "update-initramfs -u"

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,165
Message 6 of 17

Thanks. I updated the linux kernel to 5.2.2. After moving the decompressed .tgz file to /lib/firmware, I executed: rmmod iwlwifi

The system returned.

rmmod: ERROR: Module iwlwifi is not currently loaded

After I moved the iwlwifi-cc-a0-46.ucode from the uncompressed directory to /lib/firmware and re-executed sudo rmod iwlwifi and then sudo modprobe iwlwifi, it works. 

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,165
Message 7 of 17

Hi Dave, Trackpad is working now. Thank you very much.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,157
Message 8 of 17

In Windows 10, we can go to the battery icon on the bottom right and choose between performance focused and battery life focused. We can also choose between using iGPU, dGPU or auto selection. Can we do these things under Linux? I don't see the performance or battery saving option available.

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,139
Message 9 of 17

Not sure on the batery but for the other if you install the Nvidia driver set then you get a command nvidia-settings which allows for the similar switching  between iGPU or dGPU.  

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 1,112
Message 10 of 17

Am I correct that by default under Linux, the power setting is max performance rather than battery saving? Anybody knows a way to change the performance level under Linux?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors