Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Irusha2000
What's DOS?
Views: 714
Message 101 of 117

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

Hello! I bought the wonderful laptop Lenovo Yoga C930! It has a Windows 10 operating system preinstalled. I work as a psychologist and one of the requirements of the health insurance scheme was that I use a separate computer to work with it. I installed ubuntu 18 on my laptop for my needs, all works fine, but I cannot connect the built-in microphone, which I need for psychological counseling via Skype. What do you recommend to do: purchase and install a second Windows, buy an external microphone, or will this problem be solved now and Ubuntu will be able to see the built-in microphone?

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 703
Message 102 of 117

Hi all,  I am running a dal boot W10 and Ubuntu19.04.  When using Ubuntu, my screen flickers alot, dimmer, brighter.  I tried covering  up the  cam and sure enough there is a bright sensor that controls the dimming.  However the dimming is much more sensitive in Ubuntu than in Windows.  Has anyone found a way to tweek the screen brightness sensitivity?

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 701
Message 103 of 117

Hey, Irusha I have had the same problem. Skype works fine in W10 but in Ubuntu I have to use a logitech headset. I will keep playing.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 613
Message 104 of 117

Of those running Linux on C930 4K screen version, how is the fan noise when doing basic productivity, web browsing and youtube viewing (on battery vs. on AC outlet)? Is it dead silent, some fan noise some time, always noisy, etc.?

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 601
Message 105 of 117

I have not  noticed any noise historically.  

Watching The Mueller Show for last hour on YouTube.  I cannot hear the fan at all.   

I unplugged power and watched for 5 minutes. Again no fan noise. 

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 584
Message 106 of 117

What is your system configuration? CPU?
Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 559
Message 107 of 117

My chip is the i7-8550u. I am running vanilla Ubuntu 19.04. Aside from that your question is vague. Can you ask more specific question?
nadavshabtai
Paper Tape
Views: 377
Message 108 of 117

Hi

I recently replaced my Ubuntu with Elementrary OS (Same same new name), So I don't Know about Ubuntu users (Although Elementary OS is based on Ubuntu and should have everything as Ubuntu). 

After the last upgrade I closed the lid and the computer entered sleep mode just fine (Finally).

I hope it's not an illusion Smiley Happy

Highlighted
LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 277
Message 109 of 117

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've tried doing any fixes for Linux on this machine, but the Thinkpad X1 Carbon 7th Gen and Thinkpad X1 Yoga 4th Gen just came out, both having very similar specs to the C930, and also a very similar speaker arrangement. I noticed that these forums seem to have made some progress in regards to getting the subwoofer working and getting the microphone recognized:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Guide-X1-Carbon-7th-Generation-Ubuntu-compatability/td-p/4489823

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-7th-Gen-X1C7-mirophone-not-working/td-p/44841...

Can anyone confirm that these fixes work for the C930 as well?

geep
Paper Tape
Views: 206
Message 110 of 117

I've been watching this thread for the last couple of months and wanted to first thank the people that have provided suggestions and fixes to getting the Lenovo C930 running properly on Linux.

I decided to do a full clean ubuntu 19.04 install today on my c930 and wanted to provide some feedback/support here.

Good News:
It does seem that the latest kernel '5.0.0-26-generic' seems to fix the wifi problem that users were reporting, and I'm digging in to see if any of the other issues reported here have also been fixed as the package came with some sound and wifi/bluetooth additions as well.

Bad News: If booting from a live usb instance, you still have to perform the 'modprobe -r ideapad_laptop' workaround via terminal during the live session to get basic wifi working to install the operating system with 'latest updates' which then gives you the ability to install the Canonical Partners software sources.

Additional Information: Once that is complete, boot up into your new installation, run the modprobe command again via terminal. Then open Software & Updates and head to the 'Other Software' tab (2nd tab from the left) and check the 'Canonical Partners' option, this comes with various updates and will actually fix the no-wifi bug that users have been experiencing.

(Remember, in the event that you may have disabled the ideapad_laptop kernel module in the past via a script, you may want to re-enable it again, though I'll leave that up to you.)

To wrap up my long post, I wanted to pretty much report what I have working and what still needs work for this laptop to be 'fully supported'.

Laptop Technical Information: (need more info, ask?)

Manufacturer: LENOVO
        Product Name: 81C4
        Version: Lenovo YOGA C930-13IKB
        BIOS Version: 8GCN32WW (latest as of this posting)

What is working 'out of the box' with hotfix mentioned above...

* Internal Storage
* Integrated Graphics (via Intel CPU)
* Type-A Port
* Type-C Port (tested with USB-C multi-adapter from Belkin)
* Keyboard (Volume, Brightness, and other functions work as normal)
* Wi-Fi
* Bluetooth
* Headphone Socket
* Touchscreen
* Rotation Sensor (though, sometimes it flips the display when opening the lid from sleep)
* Light Sensor

Broken or Un-Tested
* Thunderbolt 3 (I don't have equipment to test this)
* Speakers (still being worked on via multiple parties across the web)
* Power Management (still need to test if this is working via the latest kernel)
* Built in Microphone
* Fingerprint Reader

We are really close to a fully functioning C930 Smiley Very Happy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals