Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,145
Message 91 of 114

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

Nope.  Pop works just fine with the brightness control with that Kernel release.

TwiN
Paper Tape
Views: 1,120
Message 92 of 114

So I've been keeping an eye out on this thread for a while now, hoping that one day, I'd see a fix for the speakers come up.

Unfortunately, this hasn't happened yet, but I see a few people mentioning issues with sleep.

I figured I may as well share my findings on that.

Though it's not a real fix per se, if you're using Linux and you have a SSD, boot time is not your biggest worry, therefore, the easy way to avoid having your battery drained in your bag is to simply configure your lid to trigger hibernation rather than sleep.

Hibernation, unlike sleep, will not cause your battery to drain.

While this laptop is far from having perfect compatibility with Linux, it's still a beast that performs incredibly well, and sooner or later, I'm sure it'll be fully compatible and the majority of its issues fixed.

I have my setup on GitHub, which contains some of the fixes for these issues: https://github.com/TwinProduction/dotfiles

More specifically for the lid/sleep/hibernation issue, I recommend you look at this script: https://github.com/TwinProduction/dotfiles/blob/master/scripts/hibernate-support.sh

Unfortunately, I use systemd-boot rather than grub, which means that the script above is not going to fix your issue. The key part is that you must:

- Create a swap partition

- Enable that swap partition

- Change the way your system responds to the lid being closed (hibernation instead of sleep)

Though I installed Arch on my C930, unlike most of you whom appear to be using POP/Ubuntu, I believe the process is somewhat similar.

LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 1,023
Message 93 of 114

So it looks like WiFi has been fixed with a kernel update. Sleep can be worked around either by modifying the kernel yourself or by using the hibernate workaround, but these are workarounds and NOT fixes for the actual sleep issue (fixes that we've started to see on other Lenovo laptops).

But it still seems like the audio issues with the speakers not functioning properly, and with the microphone not being recognized are still present with no current fix. Has anyone looked into these issues, maybe using ALSA to correctly see how the pins need to be configured so that everything works regardless of whether something is plugged into the headphone jack?

Or, more importantly, is there a way for us to directly contact Lenovo to ask for Linux support for this laptop? I hope they are looking at this thread, but I would love if one of us is able to contact them directly to bring it to their attention or even provide some of the insight we have. I am hoping they see the numerous users who want this, and seeing the progress they've had on other laptops (especially with their newer upcoming ThinkPads having the same speaker arrangement) makes me cautiously optimistic.

Old_Karew
Paper Tape
Views: 846
Message 94 of 114

Running UBUNTU 18.04.2 

I just updated the Bios from 8GCN30WW to 8GCN32WW No change, still no WiFi with Ubuntu.

To get WiFi, at each boot into Ubuntu I still need to suspend a module.

To suspend that module I am still using the command line command:

Sudo modprobe -r ideapad_laptop       Then enter password.

This works every time. Tried other posted options for a more permanent Ubuntu WiFi fix. No Luck

No evidence yet that there are any WiFi problems with Win10

Very disappointed with Lenovo. Still time to return it for full refund.

Not tired Sound yet...

With Ubuntu the Screen and Touch inversion work in unison very well.

FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 834
Message 95 of 114

BIOS wasn't going to fix your issue.  A kernel update does.  I will have to see if the bios update fixes suspend/sleep issues...

FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 832
Message 96 of 114

Also,

**bleep** YOU LENOVO.  I'd settle for some feedback and/or a roadmap of what you will and/or won't do.

I don't cuss easily,  This really is a nice laptop, but your communication really sucks a bag of ... you know what.

Brynstntn
Paper Tape
Views: 809
Message 97 of 114

I think it might be best if everyone takes a step back and put things into perspective.  Cursing and lowering to insults is not going to help, if anything it will cause the other party to become less responsive.

Remember, you chose to use an fringe and unsupported OS, this laptop works wonderful with Windows and that is all Lenovo promised.  As with most laptops, support usually rests soley with the open source community.  I would expect these issues to be resolved in another 6-12 months with past expireiences.

There are plenty of laptops that work perfect with Linux out of the box, many made by Lenovo.  If immediate 100% Linux compatibility is wanted, it is probably best to do some research before purchasing a laptop .

P.S.  I Love Linux, and have been using it for over 15 years on my laptops.  I know I used the term fringe OS, but I do agree that it is the superior OS.  WiFi is already fixed, and the bug was caused by Linux (not Lenovo)

FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 98 of 114

Of course I disagree. If they said - we don't support it - then I would go away and agree with you.

The sleep/suspend issue is the biggest and THAT'S a bios update that they have ALREADY fixed on other models. They can tell me to sit and spin and it will never come. I'm ok with that. If your assumption is that "they have already said that by not saying anything", then I respectfully disagree. An affirmative denial is all that is needed here - but they can't be bothered to do so.

The choice of fingerprint readers - even if they work on Windows - is deplorable.

The speaker is a mess, but have found a work around and can use external bluetooth when needed.

I realized the "fringe" nature of my operating system that I make my living in. The laptop was a payment for services (long story) and I've made it work. The inconsistent nature with which Lenovo approaches all it's laptops in regards to support is suprising to me. Some lines are great (and not always business class) and some are crickets. My guess is the target market and this particular one was shot. My experience with Lenovo support for Linux and feedback up to now has been spectacular. Do I need to curse? No. Will I again, maybe.
gongzhen
Punch Card
Views: 622
Message 99 of 114

Agree with you. Models that are fully compatible with Linux oob exist. But for most of time, this feature comes as a selling point for high-end brand, such as the latest P-series news as well as XPS, and of course, system76. However, this requires the adaptation to compatible parts which already have Linux driver, which usually have less feature.

But for ordinary customers buying a laptop, they want more than a processor and graphics update (BTW do they really have imporvement?) So I think it's a marketing issue to get those parts only supported by Windows right now.

Let's have a look at what's on the marketing materials of C930. (Taken from https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/yoga-900-series/Yoga-C930-13IKB/p/88YGC900982)

1&2. Audio system:

Yes the laptop comes with a much powerful speaker combination. 2 speaker and a subwoofer (?) in the soundbar and another 2 behind the arm rest. Good design, but what drives it? Let's check /proc/asound/card0/. Ignore the Intel HDMI codec and get that Realtek ALC298 file. The subwoofer can be enabled by manipulate 0x17 node with some issues, but there's no clue to find another two bottom speakers. But what lead to that? By marketing stuffs like Dolby, manufacturers use more proprietary drivers than basic simple layout. Btw, I assume some algorithm addition is involved in its Windows driver, as the system still treat it like traditional 2 speakers system.

On the other hand, it seems that Realtek contribute little to its Linux driver. Regarding to ALC298, it's only a device id (https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/532846/) and the driver itself has few improvement. The efforts spent on the old driver are only fixups and fixups. So far, the only following commit regarding ALC298 is only on the Thinkpad Dock. (https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/881309/) Personally I think that's only a subtle fix, since the Dock is a separate output and not a combined one. I don't count on Lenovo to push Realtek for this issue, but Realtek itself to release feature update on similar and future speaker combinations. 

3. Display

Would be better if it have higher brightness level instead of promotional terms, but that’s a hardware thing.

4. Style

Nothing to do with Linux. (But only mine stains easily?)

5. Digital Pen

The Wacom device transport data over I2C and works oob. General tweaks (eg like Gestures and Palm detections) are deemed advisable to improve user experience. Pen storage is good.

6. Webcam shutter

Privacy features are good. And I would like to discuss the microphone thing here. Old Lenovo laptops also have microphone disable function and have no issues in Linux. Why change that? Hope that's only some WMI things and could be fixed in new BIOS release.

7. Configuration

Typical configs, little disappointed for discarding 8265 and 8565 in 2018. Also I want Thunderbolt Security Level user-configurable unhidden in BIOS like in old models for better compatibility.

8. Cortana

This feature need S0ix which is the main cause of sleep issue. In fact, I doubt if there were any users really make use of this feature. There’s incomplete (or broken) support of S0ix for this laptop in Linux. Some other models (like HP Elite x2 1013 G3) suffers from it, while some (like T480s, XPS 13 9360) can switch freely between S3 and S0ix. (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&component=Hibernation%2FSuspend&product=...) Note that Windows may need a reinstall for this change. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby) What makes it even worse is the broken S3 support. I have no idea why this happened. Unlike those X1 models, the S3 states presents in the ACPI tables. But it just can’t wake from sleeping while hibernation seems good, which not a good substitute for normal sleep behavior. Someone installed hackinitosh and claimed to get sleep working. But so far I only confirmed S0 works and received no respond from him.

9. Fingerprint

Synaptic fingerprint sensors are widely used in laptops, however they have no Linux support. The SGX, modified TLS protocol and closed source driver seems to achieve better security. But I would prefer old ones which functions similarly, and also the IR camera.

Apart from these, I have to say Lenovo shouldn’t be blame for the WiFi issue (maybe?). The old ideapad_laptop model uses a whitelist for hardware radio switch. Recent commits added it to the kernel on Feb 24. (67133c6d99ef0d8917f764a9a70039b5e78d5e71) Later people changed the whitelist into blacklist on Apr 29. (5105e78e5b2414ec39efaadca1802e37e7105bb1). More description could be found in the latter’s commit note.

marrypo
What's DOS?
Views: 322
Message 100 of 114

How do you guys installed linux ubuntu on this machine?

I can't set sata mode to AHCI on my BIOS...?

Because of this i can't install ubuntu to free mem while ubuntu installer don't see my empty space...?

Any ideas?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors