Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 1,237
Message 41 of 117

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

Is there any update from Lenovo on bios updates for better support for Linux? I couldn't find a support number or email to contact them directly. As far as I know, current issues are:

1. WiFi drivers not working initially (requires blacklisting the ideapad-laptop module)
  2. S3 sleep not functioning properly (in my experience under Ubuntu, it either drains too much battery during standby or shuts down after being asleep for too long).
  3. Internal microphone not working 
  4. Subwoofer not working (reports of hacks to connect pins through software are said to work, but I haven't gotten them to work in my installation)
  5. Thunderbolt issues (have not looked into this myself)

From what I heard, many if not all of these issues require a BIOS update from Lenovo. I purchased this laptop for the audio experience, but also wanted to use Linux on my machine. Not having a working mic/subwoofer, along with a non-functioning sleep mode is very annoying. I hope Lenovo pushes a fix for these issues, or at the very least gives an update on what progress (if any progress) will be made.

droserasprout
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,203
Message 42 of 117

Hi folks!

I've bought this laptop two days ago and now actively researching how to make this piece work as it should. I've summarized all available info at my github repo, feel free to enrich/update this page as the new information arrive: https://github.com/droserasprout/lenovo-yoga-c930-linux

Thanks to everyone involved for their efforts!

droserasprout
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,184
Message 43 of 117

Good news!

S3 sleep issues are caused by ideapad-laptop unloading to fix Wi-Fi. Here's completely passed fwts s3 report, so this issue need no BIOS update to be resolved. Hooray!

I'm looking for a less destructive Wi-Fi fix atm, but nevertheless wi-fi fix is already merged into 5.1-rc1 kernel and will be shipped to not-so-stable distributions soon.

LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 1,109
Message 44 of 117

Wow, thanks for your help! It's great to see people put this kind of effort into this laptop, it has such great potential to be such an amazing machine with Linux. Looks like with some work the only major falling point is the internal mic.

I'm going to be travelling without my laptop for a while but I do have a USB C dongle I can test HDMI with. Once I'm back in May hopefully I can help out a bit. Sleep mode, the speakers, and the mic are the big things keeping me from running Linux on this machine but if we can get 2 of the 3 I'd be wiling to use it more often.

Another thing to note is that in low light, the webcam seems to go down to 10 fps rather than still keeping 30 fps by default like it does in Windows. I'm sure that's an easy fix, though I'm unfamiliar with webcam drivers in Linux.
droserasprout
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 45 of 117

It turns out fwts s3 report is not about S3 state but about suspending in general. Sorry for false alarm, suspending is still broken both with S0ix and S3. Updated "Power Management issues" paragraph. Upstream kernel bug has been filed.

Paper Tape
Views: 935
Message 46 of 117

I bought this laptop 4 months ago with the hope that it could replace the my half dead 2015 MacBook Pro (the last professional laptop that Apple made). I first tried the X1E, but it had too many build issues (faulty backlighting, keyboard problems, etc...), so then decided to try the C930.

After 4 months with the laptop, waiting for Levono to fix issues that they clearly have no interested in fixing, I'm finally giving up. I've had my 2015 MPB refurbished and have gone back to that as my primary machine. Will probably sell the C930 to someone who is looking for Windows.

I'm not sure I would try lenovo again after this experience.

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 868
Message 47 of 117

Has Lenovo showed signs of working on these issues? If so, is there a place to track them?

droserasprout
Fanfold Paper
Views: 807
Message 48 of 117

Just dropped a message to Lenovo tech support (man, these 200 character limited fields...) and also a PM to Andy_Lenovo from this forum just in case he will join this thread eventually. Gonna get some popcorn.

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 798
Message 49 of 117

I tried a newer kernel

5.1.0-050100rc6-generic

This kernel was able to keep the wifi and bluetooth running after reboot.

fbdev
What's DOS?
Views: 724
Message 50 of 117

Hi all,

Great to see an active community around here.

I recently purchased C930-IKB installed Ubuntu 19.04 on dual boot and once again picked a troublesome laptop.

Wifi was the first hiccup. After reinstallation and wifi ideapad, it works now better than on windows (keep having slow reconnections after logoff/sleep periods). Next step would be to install the newer kernels.

I haven't played much yet with the laptop but HDMI and HDMI Audio seemed to work properly via cheap 3rd party USB-c hub.

Hub worked at first shot for:

+ HDMI

+ HDMI audio

+ USB-A

+ SD card

+ charging, I didn't do any test how fast (surprinsingly this didn't show charging at all on Windows 10).

Not tested: internet connection as my hub doesn't support ethernet input.

I applied the speaker hack but it wasn't clear to me if it had much improved the performance. I found the laptop volume overall very low and disappointing on this short trial period with volume limitation at 100%.

Fingerprint and suspend mode would be nice. I still have to use this laptop on both OS for a full assessment but so far it's a nice laptop for the price.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors