Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,059
Message 51 of 117

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

I have Ubuntu 18.10 running on my C930.  I made the modprobe ideapad change to get wifi.

However, testing my wifi speed (ookla via firefox )  in Windows 10 (Average of 3x) I get 128Mbps down.  Rebooting and running under Ubuntu (Ookla via firefox) I get about 56Mbps down (Average of 3x). 

I am using a Linksys 1900AC router. No dongles or cables attached, battery power to avoid any rfid.

Any suggestions how to tweak Ubuntu wifi?

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 964
Message 52 of 117

This issue is not necessarily related to the Yoga C930, it is more of an Ubuntu release issue. There are a number of places where you can run some fixes and see how that works for your machine. Take a look here:

https://itsfoss.com/speed-up-slow-wifi-connection-ubuntu/

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 919
Message 53 of 117

Hi, I do not have the C930 with me to test. Anybody tried the latest version of Linux? With the new kernel 5.0, what works and what doesn't?

Brynstntn
Paper Tape
Views: 820
Message 54 of 117

Looks like the Wifi issue in ideapad-laptop was fixed in late February.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/67133c6d99ef0d8917f764a9a70039b5e78d5e71#diff-eab82aebc1bb5...

Torvolds merged it to 5.1-1 in mid march.  May take some time to make it in the distros.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/dbbdf54c7206bf3f201f9ddaa5f4dd87835271cc

FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 787
Message 55 of 117

Yes - I'm running 5.1 on pop_os! and the wireless is working just fine.  Had to of course blacklist it while I was doing the update on my reinstall.  Other than that - it's the same.

1. Suspend Power Issues are the BIGGEST pain in the butt.

2.  Really annying not to have full speaker functionality like Windows.  

3.  Fingerpirnt reader is a mild constant annoyance.  And it doesn't look like anyone really cares about it.

#1 should get fixed.  #2 and #3 I won't hold my breath.

--Al

LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 781
Message 56 of 117

With the wireless issue fixed at a kernel level (and hopefully rolling out to distros in due time), the major suspend issues and audio issues (bottom speakers not working, microphone not working) are my biggest issues preventing me from switching to Linux on this machine. Would definitely love to see fingerprint support somewhere along the line too, didn't realize how useful it was until recently.

FoeQueue
Paper Tape
Views: 742
Message 57 of 117

Yeah - I missed the microphone one - but I'm usually plugged into my thunderbolt and it picks up my external yeti speaker so it really isn't quite as painful as the others.  

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 58 of 117

Do you know if anyone has been able to work the microphone?

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 606
Message 59 of 117

In this wiki, under known issues, it states the linux cannot be installed on Yoga due to Lenovo  implemented the SSD on these models in RAID mode but from this thread, looks like there is no issue as some of you succeed in installation. How is the situation if I want dual boot between Linux and Windows 10? I probably will replace the intenal 1TB SSD with a 2TB SSD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo_Yoga

imadatabank
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 60 of 117

I bought my C930 as a replacement for my Yoga 2 11 which purchased in 2015 or 2016. It had become too slow etc. 

Before changing though, I installed Ubuntu 18.10 on the Yoga 2 and apart from the WiFi had it working acceptably well. The WiFi was just toooooo slow because it was limited to 11b/g or maybe 11/b/g/n. My LAN had a Gigabit connection (Netscape Orbi Mesh) and so theoretically could deliver gigabit speed but my Yoga 2 maxed out at some ridiculaous speed - like 10 Mbits/s. To solve this problem, I bought an Edimax USB stick with 11ac capability and whamo - speeds in the mid300 Mbits/s. Problem solved.

But I was still unhappy with the functionality of the Yoga 2 overall. 

So I started looking around for a replacement. I had 3 criteria: Linux, 2-in-1, < 14" screen. (I wanted something that worked well as an enterntainment centre on planes and trains as well as a general factotem laptop.)

It came down to a contest between Dell and Lenovo. I chose the Lenovo C930 (12GB RAM and i7 processor and NOT 4k).

I am VERY happy with the machine. I've got Ubuntu 19.04 running on it as I want - except for the set backs that have been mentioned many times here: Bass sound and fingerprint reader,. The latter I don't care about. The former pisses me off, but I'm living with it and adapting. (Without some bass in the sound, the tininess of the treble is amplified significantly). 

The STYLUS works well. The TABLET format works well too (although I have installed the "onboard" virtual keyboard that i can click on to bring up when the default one doesn't appear). And I'm getting over 600 MBits/s over WiFi.

All in all it's a swift and reliable machine with more than enough grunt to do the things i want.

It handles CPU intensive activities like video editing in KDENLIVE and internet access equally, with sublime ease.

Because there has been such a deluge of frustrated folks wanting to run Linux on their C930, I am going to produce a video of the installtion and experience which I'll post on YouTube, and notify here when I've done that. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors