Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,068
Message 61 of 117

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

I was able to dual boot by shrinking the windows partition, then going into the linux distribution installer and selected that free disk space for linux. Followed regular installation instructions and it worked. However, UEFI was a problem, so I had to disable it and then I was able to see GRUB and select the OS I wanted. One way to tell where to install Linux or what disk to shrink is looking at the partition that has the most GB for it. The other ones are reserved for Windows system stuff.

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,029
Message 62 of 117

Kudos.    I’ll be interested in your video.   I installed 18.10 on a dual boot without issue but I am still suffering from low WiFi bandwidthunder ubuntu.   I hope upgrading to Disco Dingo will fix it.   I’m interested in whether your install had good WiFi as a function of the new kernel.   

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 998
Message 63 of 117

I think I read somewhere that Lenovo swapped the wifi card with an Intel one and wifi became speedy under Linux?

droserasprout
Fanfold Paper
Views: 971
Message 64 of 117

I decided to sell my laptop and never pay a cent to Lenovo again. If you want to be a maintainer of my github repo with logs and workaround instructions - drop me a message, I'll give you editor permissions.

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 964
Message 65 of 117

Thanks for he hard work.   I have my old Acer running Linux but I’m keeping my c930 as a dual boot when I need it.  Certainly not ready for Linux.    

But then again if I wanted a Linux machine I wouldn’t have bought this one.  

LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 912
Message 66 of 117

The X1 Yoga 3rd Gen just got a BIOS update to support deep sleep in Linux. The C930 has pretty similar hardware to the X1Y3, maybe a BIOS patch for us is coming soon?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/X1-Yoga-3rd-Gen-S3-Sleep-Linux/td-p/4235264/pag...

Alternatively, there also seems to be some workarounds to get S3 sleep working with the X1Y3. Has anyone more familiar with Linux given something like this a shot?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Thinkpad-X1-Yoga-and-Ubuntu-19-04-a-tale-of-woe...

Also, for what it's worth, apparently the speakers are all fully working on a C930 Hackintosh. Maybe with some digging there's a way to see if we can get it working on Linux?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-yoga-c930-13ikb-4k-i7-8550u-99-working-updated-7-feb...

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 903
Message 67 of 117

I think we have to nag Lenovo a bit more. This is important. I have tried looking for workarounds but get very little headway. Thanks for posting the links and doing the research.

LawMac96
Paper Tape
Views: 888
Message 68 of 117

Agreed, we need to keep nagging Lenovo and making this a big deal to show them that it's important. I can't seem to find any direct contact links other than support chats so I feel like continually giving this topic new information will show our dedication.

I'm hoping that the recent X1Y3 update they did bodes well for this laptop as well given their similarities (other than the speaker system). I'm really, really hoping they're watching this forum and seeing how important it is to us as end users.

kxra
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 69 of 117

For reference, here is the bug report against the kernel to track progress on this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203409

There is also some discussion here that sadly never got to a resolution: https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2018-November/142369.html

As far as Lenovo goes...

It's not right that customers can't take full advantage of what they paid for because of this.

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 666
Message 70 of 117

Hello, any progress with the video?

My C930 has arrived. I plan to replace the SSD to a 2TB one and install Linux as a dual-boot systme. I don't care about fingerprint sensor. I am more concerned about funciton keys to adjust LCD screen brightness, speaker volumn, wifi, quietness, good battery life and other basic functions. Perhaps also good hibernation/sleep? Which distributions have been tried to work well?

On the X1E, Pop!_OS works very well right out of the box. However, X1E became very noisy under Linux even when I only launched a browser. Anybody tried Pop!_OS on the Yoga C930?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors