Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 652
Message 71 of 117

Re: Linux compatibility with Yoga C930

Pop! OS works fairly well on the C930. Be aware that the same issues mentioned in this thread are present in the OS. However, it is able to detect a couple more sensors like light and screen orientation.
lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 609
Message 72 of 117

Hello, my new Yoga C930 has a 1TB SSD. I planned to replace the original 1TB SSD with a 2TB SSD but due to a lack of availability of the Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB drive, I plan to use what I have at the moment to make a dual-boot system and update to 2TB SSD later. I also have a spare Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB SSD drive. My questions are:

1. Before I install Linux as a dual-boot system, what shall I do to backup the SSD in the C930? Shall I connect an external SSD (970 Evo Plus NvME in an external case) to the C930 and then clone the internal SSD? I worry that I may do something stupid and erase some important partitions Lenovo made for the stock SSD to make recovery of the computer difficult.

2. What software do you recommend to clone it? Samsung software which came with the Samsung SSD?

3, Is there a guide to do this? I also worry that after installation of Linux, I may lose access to Windows.

Thanks.

anditosan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 594
Message 73 of 117

I am afraid this thread is about something different than working with partitions and backups. This discussion centers around Lenovo providing support for hardware on Linux that is compatible and recognizable by any OS.

For your question, I would not worry too much about the partitions. You won't erase anything important. Just follow the prompts in the installer and you should be fine. Windows provides a recovery software that you can get any time and it will recognize your system and reinstall, if necessary.

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 565
Message 74 of 117

I backed up my 1TB drive to a portable hd using macrium reflect, and I created rescue and boot media.  

There are plenty of instructions out there on how to install a dual boot.  Read up.  However make sure you write down your windows bitlocker key.  You’ll probably need it.  

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 564
Message 75 of 117

Can you recommend a reliable guide to make a dual-boot system on the C930? As you know, not all information on the internet are correct. 

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 554
Message 76 of 117

I would suggest you do a search and read up thoroughly before you do this.  

I installed Ubuntu.  Your installation of Linux might be different. 

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 531
Message 77 of 117

When users here say that Ubuntu 18.xx, Fedora, Pop!_OS are compatble with the Yoga C930, do they mean in bith laptop and tablet modes wirh pen fully functional?

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 500
Message 78 of 117

I would not make those interpretations. When you say "Tablet mode" and "pen is fully functional" you need to be much more specific.

A keyboard pops up in tablet mode.  Does that satisfy your requirements?

I have drawn in Gimp but I am having some issues with other drawing utilities.  This would be better answered by an experienced graphics professional depending on your question.

I don't believe written word to text transliteration is functional

lenovotv
Token Ring
Views: 478
Message 79 of 117

I mean when in tablet mode and under Linux, does the Yoga C930 still funciton as if it were under Windows. For example, can a user  use the enclosed pen or the Active Pen 2 for Yoga to do things that could be done under Windows. Do the buttons on these pen work under linux? A keyboard pop up in tablet mode, touch funcitonaltiy of the screen, etc.

(I have tested Pop OS on X1E. The Pen Pro worked out of the box and the pop up keyboard showed up.)

By the way, under Linux, it is possible to have a smaller pop up keyboard or split keyboard? The one that shows up under Windows occuplies almsot half the screen.

Pallamas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 464
Message 80 of 117

There is a pop up keyboard, smaller than Windows and not split.   

The pen acts at least as a pointer and paintbrush in Gimp but may have limited functionality. 

I would suggest that you attempt installation and determine whether it meets your needs.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors