Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,885
Message 41 of 119

Re: Linux on Ideapad D330

I got Manjaro Matte working on my full HD model. Grub just takes forever to load. Ohne interesting thing i noticed during booting was that the screen showed the boot logo ans system messages correctly without any tearing etc. Maybe it has a better hardware recognition. Is any of the 1280x800 people willing to try it?

@ppdevelop:

Which desktop are you using on Linux Mint?

from my experience Ubuntu or ANtergos with Gnome 3 are working best as far as touchscreen usability goes.

skudo
Paper Tape
Views: 1,882
Message 42 of 119

@hideme wrote:

I got Manjaro Matte working on my full HD model. Grub just takes forever to load. Ohne interesting thing i noticed during booting was that the screen showed the boot logo ans system messages correctly without any tearing etc. Maybe it has a better hardware recognition. Is any of the 1280x800 people willing to try it?

@ppdevelop:

from my experience Ubuntu or ANtergos with Gnome 3 are working best as far as touchscreen usability goes.

I'll try it tomorrow.

ppdevelop
Paper Tape
Views: 1,867
Message 43 of 119

wrote:

I got Manjaro Matte working on my full HD model. Grub just takes forever to load.

@ppdevelop:

Great to hear that Manjaro also works! For me, grub loads as fast as expected.

I am using Cinnamon desktop. This is a good desktop, but indeed not very touchscreen usable. Gnome 3 would be a better match.

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,853
Message 44 of 119

On your previous attempts did you boot in legacy or UEFI mode? I got into some problems with apic on another device in legacy which didn’t appear on UEFI.

D330-user
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,732
Message 45 of 119

@skudo

That's interesting you have the N5000 with the low res display, being a display issue I don't like the chances of it getting sorted.

I tried Manjaro Gnome during my testing, it didn't work either. 

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,502
Message 46 of 119

After the latest bios update i had to reeinstall my complete System... great job Lenovo... you know how to do stuff!

I decided to give the Antergos cinnamon desktop with xorg a try and noticed that the touchscreen doesn't rotate with the desktop orientation.

I found this solution https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=236853 change the -1 to 1 by try and error but it works for me.

Automatic orientation can be achieved by using the surface tools on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tablet_PC#With_Screen_Rotator

*edit*

Wayland seems to rotate the touchscreen correctly with the display. In my opinion Ubuntu 18.10 with gnome 3 on wayland an xorg support seems to be the best distro. the only thing not working is automatic rotation but if you use iio-proxy to get it working you lock yourself out of manual rotation options for the integrated display.

xeropero
Punch Card
Views: 1,177
Message 47 of 119

Hello everyone, did anyone manage to get the Rotation issue fixed? I'm still on Portrait and it has been 2 days now and i'm really bothered by this. (MY DEVICE: 1280x800 32GB MMC from Australia)

I tried many distros, most of them work but the screen is flipped (android ones i tried never worked). I tried sensor proxy and scripts for auto-rotation and they give me an error.

So far... i press E in Grub Boot Menu, modify the commands such that i replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset". (or append it but put space)

and i do "set gfxpayload=800x1280" instead of "set gfxpayload=keep". Then i press CTRL+X and this starts the OS but in Portrait mode. (this fixes the dark screen and the corrupt screen issues.)

Help!!! 

UPDATE: Android-86 worked but the same Portrait issue persists.

lordee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,166
Message 48 of 119

There's no fix yet, but I believe one is coming due to this bug report:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=108826

hideme
Punch Card
Views: 1,061
Message 49 of 119

As soon as you boot with grub options, especially nomodeset, you are limiting your options with xrandr and proxy sensor. 

I guess you have the pentium N4000 version?

Do you have a USB-C to Display adapter?

D330-user got the external display working without any grub modification.

Maybe we can get  more informations to work with from that.

xeropero
Punch Card
Views: 1,033
Message 50 of 119

Yes, it is the Celeron version with the 32GB storage. I might buy a USB-C to HDMI soon, however i already logged in and i believe i made a full update (including Kernel) from Linux Mint and it seems the patch for this issue is not yet released.

I might try again though:

1. Get a Linux Distro installed, modifing etc/default/grub to use nomodeset and gfxpayload fix

2. Make a full update then remove nomodeset and see if the display will be recognized on its own

If this doesn't work then we better wait for the patch to be released by the team. (which i hope will be quick)

Note: I believe the FullHD version is much easier to get Linux installed on, not sure why but i see that all successful installs were on that version.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors