Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jakx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 463
Message 1 of 2

P70: One USB-C port fails under Ubuntu, both ports work under Windows

I'm trying to connect my Thinkpad P70 laptop via HDMI to two monitors, using the two USB-C / Thunderbolt ports on the back (I know I can do this thru the HDMI port and the mini-DP, but I'd ultimately like to be able to move connection between P70 and Macbook Pro--which has only TB ports. Ultimately using a dual HDMI adapter). 

I'm trying this with two Belkin USB-C to HDMI adapters.  I'm dual booted, and it works fine for Windows.  But under Ubuntu 16.04, the left port causes freezing, black screens, etc.  The right port works okay, though with a bit of flashing before it settles down. 

I've got discrete graphics set in the BIOS (version dated 2017-09-28), kernel version: 4.10.0-40-generic, machine type: 20ER, graphic card: Quadro M600M, kernel driver in use: nvidia and xhci_hcd (Intel/Lenovo Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0). 

Edit: I tried booting with latest ubuntu trial on a usb stick (uninstalled), still no dice.  But, then it's using nouveau instead of nvidia.  May try ukuu to install latest kernel and make sure it's using nvidia.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?  Thanks very much.

jakx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 347
Message 2 of 2

Re: P70: One USB-C port fails under Ubuntu, both ports work under Windows

Update: Kernel 4.14.2 (using nvidia) still provides little joy.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors