Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chamibuddhika
Paper Tape
Views: 3,535
Message 1 of 9

Pop OS Clean Install Failed on X1 Extreme

Any one having trouble installing Pop! OS on X1 Extreme? I saw people had gotten it to work so gave it a try. When I tried to do a clean install of it (no Windows dual boot) from a bootable USB I couldn't complete the installation and I am stuck with a Boot menu which looks like in the picture. I retried couple of times and apparently it just added more entries to the boot menu. Boot is not going forward from this point onwards. Any ideas?

IMG_20181220_214244090.jpg

bert8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,469
Message 2 of 9

Re: Pop OS Clean Install Failed on X1 Extreme

Not sure if you've seen this thread, be warned that changing BIOS settings could brick your laptop:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Black-Screen-Help/td-p/42...

That said, Lenovo just pulled down BIOS 1.15 and 1.13 from their download site. They currently have 1.10 published. I'm curious if 1.10 suffers the same problem as the later versions did. If you haven't touched your BIOS then you're probably running 1.13. If you're willing to risk it you can try to downgrade to 1.10 and switch to discrete graphics, which is reportedly what it takes to get most Linux distros running on the X1E. Just make sure you understand that this could brick your laptop, you'll have to send it back to Lenovo for warranty repair if that happens.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

bert8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,465
Message 3 of 9

Disregard my last post, Lenovo will publish 1.17 on Monday which should resolve the issue:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Thinkpad-X1-Extreme-Black-Screen-Help/m-p/430...

dandv
Serial Port
Views: 3,387
Message 4 of 9

Can't even burn a Pop!_OS image

How did you manage to get a bootable Pop!_OS USB stick? Startup Disc Creator couldn't flash their ISO, and Etcher created one that can't boot.

chamibuddhika
Paper Tape
Views: 3,376
Message 5 of 9

Re: Can't even burn a Pop!_OS image

I think my error was a manifestation of the issue that you have linked. I didn't come across that github issue earlier when I was Googling around. Anyways I ditched Pop! OS and retried with Elementary OS and the installation worked out of the box. It's been running reasonably fine so far.

dandv
Serial Port
Views: 3,351
Message 6 of 9

Does the window manager in Elementary OS support switching among windows with Super+0..9 number keys?

chamibuddhika
Paper Tape
Views: 3,322
Message 7 of 9

Tried. It works for me.
Highlighted
didierw
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,058
Message 8 of 9

Hello,

I'm running pop!os on the x1 extreme without problems on my second nvme disk.

Which version of pop!os are you using, the nvidia or intel version?

Is "secure boot" on?

If you are using the nvidia driver, you have to disable "secure boot"!

Hope this helps!

Didier

tomotello
What's DOS?
Views: 549
Message 9 of 9

Might be some boundaries have changed in the meantime (Pop!_OS 19.04, recent Lenovo Bios, chipset updates as available by mid of May 2019): 

Trying to sort out the best Linux distribution for my Lenovo Thinkpad P52 I had a look at Debian 9 Ubuntu 19.04, Lubuntu 19.04, Fedora 30 I made similiar experiecnes like described Jason Evangelho in this article on Forbes.

My best experience from these frist tries before knowing about Pop!_OS was with Lubuntu 19.04 which is running smart, no installation problems -  just same issue as with Fedora 30 no regular shutdown possible. System get's frozen.

After reading the excellent experiences with Pop!_OS on Lenovo Thinkpad X1 from Jason I was wondering how Pop!_OS 19.04 will install on my P52. Absolutely exciting! Just the same smooth installation as Jason describes! I took the Nvidia variant. 

After a first clean installation I made a second one following this instructions for dual boot option with Windows https://pop.system76.com/docs/dual-booting-windows/ . After that I installed boot loader REFind (->files-refind-bin-0.11.4.zip   install-refind script) and got a well functioning Multi Boot System.

Sometimes I attach a OWC 4M2 Thunderbolt 3 Box with windows linux instances on different NVMe's  which automatically get recognized by REFind boot loader. Note: Booting from OWC Box via (F12)->firmware boot menu was not directly possible - the EFI's from the OWC 4M2 NVMe's were not detected. As soon as cheaper Thunderbolt 3 NVMe enclosures will be out this could be a everyone's replacment for WintoGo (Windows on USB Flashes) which Microsoft no longer supports since Update 1903. 

I could just recommend Pop!_OS (>= 19.04) to everyone! 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors