Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marija-p
Paper Tape
Views: 725
Message 1 of 6

S3 Sleep Mode on Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen with Ubuntu 16.04

Hi,

I recently purchased a Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen laptop on which I'm running Ubuntu Linux 16.04. I'm generally happy with my purchase, however, I have a major issue with the fact that it does not support S3 sleep. Smiley Sad When I close my laptop cover, the entire battery drains within a few hours and the device severely overheats. This makes it very difficult to travel with... Not to mention the waste of time in setting up my workspace after powering off!

I've seen a patch here to enable deep sleep mode with the laptop, however, not with my operating system. As I have zero experience with patching, the instructions are a bit difficult to adapt/modify. Smiley Wink

Has anyone managed to enable S3 sleep? or any info when a BIOS update might be out? Sleep without battery drain would save so many headaches! Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Marija

PS: - Sorry if this is a duplicate question, but I wasn't able to find a good/recent answer with my set-up.

Techn0o
Fanfold Paper
Views: 710
Message 2 of 6

Re: S3 Sleep Mode on Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen with Ubuntu 16.04

Is there any reason you are running 16.04? 

Have you tried 18.10?

I installed OpenSuSe, Mint, Kbuntu on my Yoga 730 15" and ran into many issues with it. I would suggest you go to the Ubuntu Forum since they deal with these kind of issues more often.

marija-p
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 3 of 6

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I'm running 16.04 for now because of compatibility with some programs we use at work. I'll give the forums a shot, good idea. Smiley Happy

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 553
Message 4 of 6

The version of Linux is not the issue with this model.  This model of laptop supports what windsows calls modern standby in the place of S3 standby. Modern standby is similar to your cell phones standby mode with instant on, hence the battery drain.  Adding in the acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 to the linux boot line may help reduce the amount of power used when is sleep mode.  You needto have a 4.13 or higher kernel for this to be used 

joncamfield
Paper Tape
Views: 407
Message 5 of 6

Note that adding this line disables wake-on-laptop-screen-open, and can cause problems with wifi drivers waking back up as well.  It is a way to prioritize better battery life at the cost of utility; but is not a solution. The similar X1 Carbon received a BIOS update enabling "classic" S3 sleep for Linux, and this needs to be rolled out for the X1 Yoga line.

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 249
Message 6 of 6

The latest BIOS 1.33 now released has the setting to allow it to be switched from S0 to S3 standby which should solve your issue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors