03-05-2019

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 8

Splash Screen For ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock with Carbon X1 6th Gen

2019-05-02, 16:47 PM

I've connected my ThinkPad Carbon X1 6th generation 20HK to a ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock through my charging USB-C (Thunderbolt Compatible) port. The Dock worked pretty well out of the box -- charging, external display once logged in, USB ports, audio, etc.I can even use the keyboard and other USB ports at boot via the dock. I'm left to conclued that the dock simply doesn't support this and/or the laptop doesn't know how to deal with display over USB until additional drivers are loaded. Notwithstanding, does anyone have a way to get the dock display working from boot?

The rest of this post is debug info and things I've tried.

I connected an external monitor to the integrated laptop HDMI port as well as the dock HDMI port (simultaneously through different HDMI ports).

To reduce the amount of text, note that "Dock" means HDMI port on the dock whereas "HDMI" means the integrated HDMI port on the laptop. In each case, the monitor is configured to display either HDMI or the Dock, as appropriate. Also, reference to monitor means "external monitor" whereas any discussion of the laptop display will simply be "laptop".

The laptop boots fine but I don't see anything on from the Dock until I login to Linux (I'm dual booting Ubuntu 18.04 and Win10) or, alternatively, boot to Win10. Once logged in, I have no issues running from my laptop screen, the Dock, or HDMI.

On boot, I see the Lenovo splash screen followed by the GRUB2 display.

• With "Boot Display Device" enabled and laptop lid open
    • With HDMI and Dock connected, the splash shows on the monitor
    • With just Dock connected, splash shows on the laptop (evidence the Dock display is not detected)
  • With "Boot Display Device" disabled and laptop lid open
    • Splash always shows on the laptop
  • With "Boot Display Device" enabled or disabled and laptop lid closed
    • With HDMI and Dock connected, the splash shows on the monitor
    • With just Dock connected, no splash is seen but laptop boots fine (to GRUB2 default selection

All of this functionality seems to have worked out of the box. Here's what I've tried to get the Dock to work starting at boot:

• Complete firmware upgrade using the Lenovo upgrade utility in Windows (took several reboots and reruns -- inefficient software -- grumble, grumble)
  • Set all the settings I could find in the BIOS that seemed like they could affect external displays:
    • "Boot Display Device" set to external
    • "Boot Time Extension" set to 10-second delay to give the BIOS time to detect the display through the dock
    • Thunderbolt "BIOS Assist Mode" enabled
    • Thunderbolt "Pre Boot Environment" enabled
    • "Sleep State" set to Linux
  • Modifed GRUB2 (/etc/default/grub followed by "sudo update-grub") to use my external HDMI port, native laptop display, and dock display

Options

5 Posts

03-05-2019

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

Re: Splash Screen For ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock with Carbon X1 6th Gen

2019-05-02, 17:04 PM
I just tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter. It works just like the HDMI cable -- I can see the splash screen -- when it is connected to the power-charging port (the one I'm using for the Dock). It looks like it's an issue with the dock, not with the laptop using HDMI over USB-C. Note that it doesn't work using the other USB-C port.
Options

4 Posts

06-21-2017

NL

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 3 of 8

Re: Splash Screen For ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock with Carbon X1 6th Gen

2019-05-02, 17:56 PM

About the USB devices on your dock: these are disabled in BIOS by default. On the Thunderbolt page of the BIOS Setup, there is an option 'Enable USB devices in pre-boot environment'. At least, there is on my X1 Carbon 5th gen. I have enabled that and can now use dock keyboard in BIOS and Grub.

Video: I sadly don't know. You got a dock with a DisplayLink chip, which sometimes has problems on Linux. The non-hybrid docks have no DisplayLink and have none of the display problems you describe.

Options

5 Posts

03-05-2019

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-05-02, 18:28 PM
Do you have a model number of a dock without the DisplayLink chip?
Options

5 Posts

03-05-2019

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-05-02, 18:29 PM
Also, should note that the problem I'm seeing is OS-independent since it also affects the splash screen before the BIOS has identified a bootable disk.
Options

4 Posts

06-21-2017

NL

3 Signins

34 Page Views

• Views: 34
  • Message 6 of 8

2019-05-02, 18:44 PM

I use the "ThinkPad USB-C Dock". The dock is in the office so I can't check the numbers on the bottom until tomorrow, but the ordering code is 40A90090EU for the one with a European power cord bundled.

DisplayLink chips are necessary for docking with USB-A, hence your dock contains such a chip. I think any dock that has only a USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 plug, and no USB-A plug would do the job, even non-Lenovo ones probably work.

Options

2 Posts

05-09-2019

IN

8 Signins

78 Page Views

• Views: 78
  • Message 7 of 8

2019-05-29, 12:01 PM

The ThinkPad USB-C Dock is a new universal docking solution ensuring a productive workstation. Experience all your productivity needs including video, data, and wired network all while delivering continuous power to your laptop via a robust USB Type-C port.

Options

2 Posts

08-22-2020

SE

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 8

Re:Splash Screen For ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock with Carbon X1 6th Gen

2020-08-26, 6:29 AM

For anyone else also looking for a solution, I found this in the manual under "Using the video output connectors":

"The external displays connected to the dock will not be on until your computer enters the Windows operating system."

So, I have to open the lid on the laptop on each boot to enter the BitLocker key. Sad.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete