Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 727
Message 1 of 18

T580 SSD dual boot to ubuntu.

I am trying to install the ubantu 18 TLS on my new thinkpad t580 with SSD (only one drive is there.(windows10 is already installed)

I have created a 99GB of free space partition . (using the disk management tool-->shrink tool in windows. I have 99GB unallocated space)

On windows I have disabled Hibernation.

still I am not able to see the SSD during installation procedure.

Can you please help me to unblock.

2) Right now in my SATA controller settings is RST Mode. what are the issues I come across changing the settings in BIOS to AHCI. will it impact my windows usage?

3) How can I make my SSD be detected. I saw many similar posts but did not get success even after following them.

4) Does lenovo suggest changing from RST to AHCI.

5) Is changing to AHCI is just a option (or) should I install any drivers.

6) I am assuming seeing in mailing list that I should change to AHCI..is there any ither issue/

Admin note; subject editedfor clarity.

Lenovo Employee PeterZhang
Lenovo Employee
Views: 684
Message 2 of 18

Re: T580 SSD dual boot to ubuntu.

Hello,

Yes, disabling RST will impact Windows bootup and perfermance. 

And yes, we suggest changing from RST to AHCI if you want to run Linux on it, RST driver for Linux is not available by far.

To use dual boot in AHCI mode, RST feature will not be available to Window. Thanks.

Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 656
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the reply. do you have any knowledge based article what are the performances impact?

2) Thanks for conforming that I need to change from RST for ubantu. when I kept in safe mode and went to Bios and changed its giving error and giving me the option to Fix. so to make my computer work I have to change back BIOS to RST and it works.

are the drivers all needed for Change from RST already available (or) not? if not where can we download?

b) changing this will it impact my warrenty?

c)  This is the link I am following 

http://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-opera...

do you have any guidence link from lenovo. As the BIOS has this option AHCI mode I assume there should be one..please share that .

I am still not getting why I am getting Error and asking me ti repair?

also does changing the BIOS erase all the data? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 646
Message 4 of 18

Hi,

I don't (currently)  have any suggestions, but I'm following the thread out of my own interest.  A question, if you don't mind:

Does this laptop have Optane memory installed?  What is the MT-M? (like 20L90041US as an example)

thanks and regards,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 624
Message 5 of 18

yes this has  Optane memory installed. what is MT-M where can I find that 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 594
Message 6 of 18

@Thinkpaduser991 wrote:

yes this has  Optane memory installed. what is MT-M where can I find that 

The MT-M is "machine type - model" as the example I gave. It's on the box, probably in the battery compartment, readable in BIOS and Vantage, etc, etc... Optane is really what I was looking for.

I'm still new to this but here's what I think I know at this point:

RST mode is used to manage the Optane cache by binding it to the primary drive and making it appear as one drive.  Linux doesn't have RST drivers, so you'll have to select AHCI mode.  That will break the binding and as I understand it, the data on the drive will be lost - or at least corrupted.

Make recovery media or a full backup if that is your preference, and be prepared to reinstall once you've toggled to AHCI mode.  It's possible that running the offered repair will fix things w/out restoring from backup, but I can't say that with certainty.  Make sure you have a fall-back option.

Once you're in AHCI mode I'm pretty certain that Optane caching will no longer be usable in Windows.  Even if it was somehow usable, toggling back and forth between Linux and Windows wouldn't be safe since machine and filesystem state would be cached and Linux would see an inconsistent (dirty) representation.

As I said, I'm still digging into this ... but it seems at this point that an Optane machine isn't really appropriate for a dual-boot setup.

Z.

(BTW, I've pulled your "help me dual boot" post in your "GPU" thread.  It's off-topic there and will just divide the conversation.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 589
Message 7 of 18

Thank you. is it possible I can disable opaque memory so that  I can use dualboot?

Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 585
Message 8 of 18

if we change the BIOS to AHIC does it not disable the opaque also?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 583
Message 9 of 18

@Thinkpaduser991 wrote:

if we change the BIOS to AHIC does it not disable the opaque also?

Yes. My understanding is that selecting AHCI disables Optane - and probably corrupts the existing data on the main drive.

Z.

Thinkpaduser991
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 580
Message 10 of 18

if we move to the AHIC when in safe moad does it still deletes the data?. I read some where it wil not is that  true

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors