Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacibreiro
Paper Tape
Views: 2,028
Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock for linux

Hi,

I have a brand new ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock. Because of work reasons I had to install ubuntu 18.04 LTS in my lenovo T470 but the dock doesn't seem to be compatible with the laptop with linux, it doesn't recognize it either using the thunderbolt nor the USB ports. Is there any way to have both workin together in linux?

Thanks!

Highlighted
MatthewW
Paper Tape
Views: 1,241
Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock for linux

Hi,

I have or "had" the same issue...

new Lenovo E590 and new Dockingstation "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock", one/two screens connected to the HDMI ports, Ubuntu 18.04.

Unfortunately, the thunderbolt support can't be used in Ubuntu, I think they kicked the BIOS option because of the bricking cases at the end of last year.

EDIT #1: the Dock, the powering of the laptop, the USB Ports and the Ethernet were working out of the box in Ubuntu 18.04! Only the displays were not recognized.

EDIT #2: Tried the laptop with ubuntu and USB-C connected to a DELL WD15 dockingstation... everything is working out of the box... even with "secure boot" enabled... sad that the orginal lenovo dockingstation can't handle that... Smiley Sad

First, I tried to install the DisplayLink drivers for ubuntu from https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu ... still no success.

After that, I went to the BIOS and deactivated "SECURE BOOT"... after that, the screens were recognized by Ubuntu. That's my solution at the moment.

BUT (#1): Sometimes, when I boot Ubuntu, the Laptop screen is flickering/flashing with die Ubuntu, but does not boot to Ubuntu. One press on the power button shutdowns the laptop. The next boot is to Ubuntu is working..

BUT (#2): Also sometimes, if the Dockingstation is connected to Laptop and you power on the laptop, there could be a really AWFUL sound/beep from the speaker... if you're lucky, the sound is  low-pitched... if you have bad luck, the sound is creeping high-pitched and you're in public... 

BUT (#3): Dunno if it's related problem: When the Dock is connected via USB-C to the laptop, and the laptop ist shut down. The Ethernet port keeps flashing at a high frequency, like there is a lot of package sending. The problem: Sometimes our TP-Link DesktopSwitch TL-SG105 is going nuts and kills the ethernet connection of all other PCs connected to that switch... Never had a problem with that switch. Probably i should open a new topic for that...

With Windows 10 (dual boot), everything is alright...yay... Smiley Wink

I even updated the firmware of the dockingstation via windows 10... still no luck...

sbalko
What's DOS?
Views: 869
Message 3 of 3

ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock with Lenovo ThinkPad E480 running Ubuntu 18.04:

I followed these steps to get the Lenovo USB-C docking station support two external monitors (Apple 27' cinema display with miniDP/F to DP/M adapter and a simple 1080p HDMI monitor) with my E480 (running Ubuntu 18.04):

While neither of these steps is exactly hard to perform, I wish Lenovo would get their act together re supporting Linux. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors