Options

2 Posts

11-21-2019

Germany

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 21 of 72

Re: Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2020-01-16, 15:56 PM
So the main problem of the the thread is resolved by using firmware 3.164, or are you referring to a sub-problem?

Also, any ideas on how to update the firmware without a Windows machine?
Options

Re: Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2020-01-17, 22:25 PM

My issue/setup is not quite the same, but thank you for posting about the firmware downgrade.

I'm using a P52 running Fedora 31. I was having constant issues with this dock. My boot process would freeze until I just unplugged the TB3 cable. It would also sometimes freeze after logging in. No relevant messages that I could see in the kernel logs at all.

And when it did work, half the time the monitor would just not be detected at all. Pretty much just unusable.

My coworker with the same dock, and a P53 running Linux Mint has been having similar issues. He also has the "slow cursor" issue.

I've been running with the 3.1.64 for at least a week now, and no issues whatsoever. Thank you!

Can anyone confirm if this also affects the previous generation thunderbolt 3 dock, Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock - 40AC? 

I used the 40AC dock prior to this one. While it generally worked fine, whenever the monitor changed state (i.e. change resolution, going to sleep, etc), there was a very high chance the monitor would just detect no signal. I would pretty much just turn the monitor on and off 2-3 times until it detected a signal whenever it happened. I got this dock because I was getting tired of that, and I went back to it because the workstation dock issues were far worse, up until I tried the downgrade.

Also, any ideas on how to update the firmware without a Windows machine?

Wouldn't mind knowing either.. I'm looking to completely remove the Windows partition on here in the near future, I'd hate to be just screwed if I needed to flash something later on :smileyindifferent: I don't think you could do it through a VM since the BIOS is the VM/hypervisor itself (not an expert though). Maybe some kind of live Win10 USB or WinPE solution is possible.

Edit: Saw this reply in another thread, don't see why it wouldn't work for a dock update as well: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Other-Linux-Discussions/Update-BIOS-with-Linux/m-p/4609347/highlight/true#M14173

Options

2 Posts

11-21-2019

Germany

2 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 23 of 72

2020-01-23, 8:10 AM
For future Googlers:

Yes, the firmware did solve the problem of the monitors. Am able to connect and operate 2 external monitors through the dock with no problems.

The firmware also solved an issue where the docking station was not recognized anymore after unplugging and replugging.
Options

3 Posts

11-05-2019

Switzerland

22 Signins

142 Page Views

• Views: 142
  • Message 24 of 72

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2020-03-16, 6:53 AM

Hello

I'm on the same Problem with Ubuntu and the Dockingstation "Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock Gen2". With the newest Firmware 3166, my three Monitors not come out from Standby, when i connect the Laptop to the Dockingstation.

I go back to Firmware 3164 and now it works again.

Options

16 Posts

11-16-2019

Germany

22 Signins

232 Page Views

• Views: 232
  • Message 25 of 72

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2020-04-28, 13:26 PM

@MarkRHPearson : over 5 months ago, you wrote your looking into this. The issue is still not resolved. The best workaround is to use an older firmware, which introduces other Problems.
Can you please give an update on Lenovo's plans to solve this issue?

Options

2 Posts

04-30-2020

Colombia

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 26 of 72

2020-04-30, 22:56 PM

Similar Problem with Fedora 32 (Thinkpad T480s), the display port not wake up after a lock or sleep mode .... only happens with thunderbolt Dock, HDMI direct connection works fine.

Options

293 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

292 Signins

2831 Page Views

• Views: 2831
  • Message 27 of 72

2020-05-01, 13:55 PM

Hi @linux-user

You're right - this is well overdue for an update. We have some work going on with the docks at the moment:

I know there is this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1867704 for the Gen2 dock - the fix is apparently upstream but I'm not sure how many distro's it is filtered down to (my guess would be Ubuntu and Fedora...but it's just a guess)

There were a bunch of issues resolved by a dock firmware update, and some by using an updated Nvidia driver. 

Note - also make sure you've got the thunderbolt firmware update - its on LVFS for almost all platforms (last ones should be really soon)

I don't have a dock to play with myself unfortunately to confirm...I need to get hold of one. Can you check you've got the latest and report back if there are still problems please?

Note - I'm aware dock firmware isn't in LVFS....hoping we can get that solved soon too. I have it as an open activity.

Options

4 Posts

05-01-2020

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 45
  • Message 28 of 72

2020-05-01, 20:51 PM

P72 with Quadro P5200 here with a brand new Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock Gen2 that I bought just a few days ago. On Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. 3x 4K monitors, two connected to the dock via DisplayPort and one connected via Thunderbolt to the other port on the P72.

All applicable firmware updates installed with Lenovo Vantage including BIOS, Thunderbolt Controller, and the dock itself.

In Windows, the monitors work flawlessly.

In Ubuntu, the screens will often oscillate between on and off and frequently lock up the laptop. If I make any xrandr changes to position the monitors, there is a high likelihood of it locking up.

Please fix this asap :)

Detailed replication instructions:

1. Install latest BIOS, Thunderbolt Controller and Dock firmware
  2. Switch Graphics mode to Discrete only in BIOS
  3. Install Ubuntu 20.04
  4. Install i3 (sudo apt install i3) and lightdm (sudo apt install lightdm) - ensure both set as default
  5. Log in and start an X Session with i3
  6. Observe displays are not automatically detected
  7. Open a terminal and run xrandr --auto
  8. Observe display oscillation
  9. Attempt to configure display layout with, i.e. xrandr --output DP-0 --right-of DP-1.2
  10. Observe display oscillation and hard lock requiring reboot
Options

4 Posts

05-01-2020

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 29 of 72

2020-05-02, 1:08 AM

Further to my original post, I would also like to note that the dock seems to cause problems even when no video cables of any kind are connected - just having it connected on boot freezes video on the ubuntu "loading spinners" and sometimes even hard-locks it.

I also have the slow cursor issue which is extremely annoying. 

Options

4 Posts

05-01-2020

6 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 30 of 72

2020-05-02, 23:07 PM

OK, so, I have spent the past two days trying to solve this issue, with no success.

I've tried everything. Downgrading the dock firmware version to the one suggested by others - that didn't work, downgrading my NVIDIA drivers to 435 and 290, that didn't work... and a newer kernel version did not work either. I think my next logical step will be to try an older kernel, but obviously this will be an issue for me as I am currently running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

It is also worth mentioning, that, I believe the slow cursor issue is unrelated to the dock. Any time the laptop is running exclusively off the NVIDIA GPU (either set to Discrete in the BIOS or with the prime-select tool) it will cause this issue. Whenever the cursor is moved, the screen appears to lock up and only unfreezes when it stops moving. Even downgrading the driver is not able to fix it. The only thing that solves it is switching back to either hybrid (on-demand) or intel only graphics.

This is a major issue, as EVEN IF the dock issue was not present, this would make the OS unusable as the only mode where external monitors is usable is dedicated-only.

Here is a video of the issue for good measure:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms