Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

09-15-2019

Czech Republic

20 Signins

184 Page Views

• Views: 184
  • Message 71 of 72

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2021-01-15, 17:54 PM

By the way, there is only one mention of Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode in this thread. Support suggested I turn it on in order to speed up my boot (and it helped: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Slow-UEFI-bootup/m-p/5058465 ). I wonder if it would change things with recent versions of BIOS and the Dock, but probably not. But it seems this setting is recommended to be enabled for Linux (but there are some reports on Reddit about bricked devices, but hopefully that is a thing of the past). 

Options

14 Posts

12-09-2019

United States of America

13 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 72 of 72

Re:Thinkpad P1 Gen2 & Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock & Linux (Ubuntu): Monitor(s) black

2021-01-18, 19:00 PM

Ok, so i've tested latest 3.1.68 Firmware (Released 4 days ago) and the situation is exactly the same.

I didn't notice any speedup or change on TB connection negotiation, still, 144hz refresh rates didn't work (both Windows and  Linux), i would say that it is even worse than in 3.1.67 because at least when i tested that version, one monitor could do 144hz while the other didn't come up unless i set it to 60hz.

Gladly, i could revert to 3.1.66 again and all works. But this is clearly annoying.

@MarkRHPearson Seems pretty clear now that the issue is the dock, as this happens to me in both OSs, also, the thunderbolt firmware of the Laptop itself is up to date.

I don't know if this happens in other TB3 enabled laptops, but this Display Port Hub fiasco has to stop, it is an open spec Lenovo, c'mon!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms