Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b0nsai
What's DOS?
Views: 2,406
Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Linux Mint - Battery Power

Hey,

got my X1 Extreme the last days and running it with the pre-installed Win 10 Pro and on another partition Linux Mint 19.

On Win 10 Pro everything is ok.

On Linux Mint i have some problems/questions:

Question:

I charged the battery to 100%, but Linux only shows about 3 hours remaining time in the system tray.

Info: Linux only used the onboard intel graphic chip 

Thanks ...

BarbadosT540p
Punch Card
Views: 840
Message 2 of 5

Re: Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Linux Mint - Battery Power

I just purchased the X1 Extreme laptop with Windows 10 and am about to attempt installing Mint 19 in a dual boot setup.  Mine has the Intel integrated graphics (not the nVidia card).  May I ask if you had any problems beyond the battery power issue?  Did you need to change any setting in BIOS prior to your installation?  If so, then what did you do?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 827
Message 3 of 5

@BarbadosT540p

I'd be interested to know the MT-M of your laptop.  I don't see any indication of an X1E - on the sales site or in the base spec - that doesn't have NViDIA graphics.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

bobbie424242
802.11n
Views: 811
Message 4 of 5

There are a few thing you can do to decrease battery usage:

- in the BIOS, enable "Thunderbolt assist". Make sure you have updated to the latest BIOS first.

- undervolt the CPU with undervolt

Try a -0.125mv undervolt and see how it goes

- disable the NVIDIA GPU entirely with bbswitch

- use the "intel" (xf86-video-intel) Xorg driver instead of "modesetting" as it is likely to be more power efficient

- running just a Windows Manager instead of a full Desktop Environment might help as less processes are running. I'm using i3wm

- generally speaking, favor newer distros with recent kernel and software. I'm using OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (on a P72),

although I would not recommend it to a beginner

- monitor you changes with s-tui and powertop

Lenovo ThinkPad P72 - i7-8850H / 16GB DDR4-2400 / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / 1TB HDD / 17.3" UHD / Intel UHD 630 / Quadro P600 / 99W Battery / Linux distro: openSUSE Tumbleweed
BarbadosT540p
Punch Card
Views: 794
Message 5 of 5

@

Here is what I have ordered.  The graphics is the Intel® UHD Graphics 630 integrated graphics.

Product Numer 20MFX002US

Configuration Details
● Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-8850H Processor (9M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz)
● Operating System: Windows 10 Professional 64 - English
● Display Type: 15.6" HDR 4K (3840x2160) with Dolby Vision, anti-glare, LED backlight, IPS, multi-touch, anti-reflection (AR) w/IR and HD720p Camera
● Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz SoDIMM Memory
● Hard Drive: 512GB Solid State Drive M.2
● Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 630
● Battery: Li-Ion Battery (80Wh)
● Bluetooth: Bluetooth
● Wireless: Intel Wireless-AC 9560, Wi-Fi 2x2 802.11ac + Bluetooth 5.0, M.2 card

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors