Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo_Ubuntu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,850
Message 1 of 3

Trouble Booting to Ubuntu Live USB on T440

Hey,

I am having trouble booting to a Ubuntu Live USB on my T440. I turn on the laptop, press enter to interrupt the normal boot, and press F12 to select another boot option. But after selecting the appropritate USB, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then returns to the boot selection. It will not boot from the Ubuntu USB, only to the preinstalled Windows 8.

Other guides have recommended disabling Secure Boot (I have done this, it has not worked); others suggest enabling Secure Boot but changing to Legacy Boot (this didn't work for me either).

Once I can successfully boot to the USB, I will be installing Ubuntu, replacing Windows all together. I don't need help with that; just getting the computer to boot from the USB would be great.

Thanks.

Lenovo_Ubuntu
Paper Tape
Views: 3,840
Message 2 of 3

Re: Trouble Booting to Ubuntu Live USB on T440

Fixed. My boot USB was made with Ubuntu's Startup Disk Creator (on my other Ubuntu system). On a hunch, I made another boot USB using Linux Pen Drive on the Windows 8 machine. That one worked. I presume it was related to the format of the USB (the working one being FAT32).

So if anyone wants to easily install a Linux distibution on a T440, make your boot USB on a Windows machine.

Jaz69
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 3 of 3

Re: Trouble Booting to Ubuntu Live USB on T440

Hi! I'm trying to do this same thing.
I have secure boot enabled, and use Bitlocker with a PIN.

Can I just check, which Ubuntu version did you have success with?

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors