Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-21-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 2

Ubuntu 16.04 bootable flash drive not detected after bios update E5CN63WW

2018-11-21, 6:12 AM

Hello,

I am running Windows 10 and Ubuntu Budgie 16.04 LTS on dual boot. After updating my BIOS to version E5CN63WW, I no longer am able to detect Ubuntu Budgie 16.04 LTS bootable flash drive in boot menu. 

In the BIOS settings, it just shows as 'USB FDD:' without drive label, before it used to show as 'USB FDD: MYLINUX' (MYLINUX is drive label). I created the bootable flash drive using RUFUS 2.11. I also tried with LiLi (It didn't work). Please help me with this issue. My BIOS config and bootable flash drive config are in attachments. 

I disabled Secure Boot and changed UEFI settings to detect flash drive.

Note: Updating BIOS deletes your Ubuntu boot loader and removes ubuntu drive from boot menu. So, don't update BIOS unless needed otherwise!!!

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheer.

Answer
Options

3 Posts

11-21-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

81 Page Views

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 bootable flash drive not detected after bios update E5CN63WW

2018-11-21, 10:10 AM

This is how I solved this issue. Installing BIOS 'E5CN63WW' changed BIOS settings to defaults. First I changed those settings as follows.

Go to UEFI or BIOS settings and disable 'Secure Boot'. Enable 'Legacy support', 'Legacy USB support', and select 'Legacy boot' as the priority.

Change USB drive. I was using a generic brand. It worked a couple of times before, but after BIOS update, my system isn't detecting it in the boot anymore. So I changed to SanDisk flash drive.

I used Rufus v1.11 earlier to create bootable flash drive. Looks like Ubuntu 16.04 or above requires, Rufus v3.3 to create correct bootable flash drive. Use the latest version to create bootable flash drive. 

Then select 'F2'. You should be able to see your bootable flash drive under one of the boot options as 'USB HDD: MYLINUX' (MYLINUX is my flash drive label) or 'F12' and select 'USB HDD:' as boot priority instead of selecting 'USB FDD:'.

Your system should boot from flash drive/pen drive/thumb drive now. Change your flash drive. Most probably it should solve your problem.

References:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

https://rufus.ie/downloads/

With Regards,

Sudheer.

Replies(1)
Answer
Options

3 Posts

11-21-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 2 of 2

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 bootable flash drive not detected after bios update E5CN63WW

2018-11-21, 10:10 AM

This is how I solved this issue. Installing BIOS 'E5CN63WW' changed BIOS settings to defaults. First I changed those settings as follows.

Go to UEFI or BIOS settings and disable 'Secure Boot'. Enable 'Legacy support', 'Legacy USB support', and select 'Legacy boot' as the priority.

Change USB drive. I was using a generic brand. It worked a couple of times before, but after BIOS update, my system isn't detecting it in the boot anymore. So I changed to SanDisk flash drive.

I used Rufus v1.11 earlier to create bootable flash drive. Looks like Ubuntu 16.04 or above requires, Rufus v3.3 to create correct bootable flash drive. Use the latest version to create bootable flash drive. 

Then select 'F2'. You should be able to see your bootable flash drive under one of the boot options as 'USB HDD: MYLINUX' (MYLINUX is my flash drive label) or 'F12' and select 'USB HDD:' as boot priority instead of selecting 'USB FDD:'.

Your system should boot from flash drive/pen drive/thumb drive now. Change your flash drive. Most probably it should solve your problem.

References:

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

https://rufus.ie/downloads/

With Regards,

Sudheer.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms