Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crust
Paper Tape
Views: 34,293
Message 1 of 3

Ubuntu 16.04 on Ideapad 510

September 23, 2016.

Hi all and thank you for this great place to use and discuss Lenovo!  My Son in law asked me to order a new laptop computer for my daughter for Christmas.  She has used Linux for several years now and likes it a lot.  I thought my experience would help those of you who are thinking about a new computer to run Linux on, so here it goes.

The criteria was:

15.5 inch screen

Cost no more than usd $650

Intel i5 processor or better

DVD burner

Enough ram to run Virtualbox

I chose the Lenovo Ideapad 510-15ISK which met all the above.

The system:

Lenovo Ideapad 510-15ISK,

Intel i5 Core 6200u @ 2.30 GHz (Skylake)  Intel Graphics 520

Nvidia 940 Graphics Card

Virtual Tech enabled

8gb 1600 ram

Intel wireless RTL8111

Intel 520 Graphics

The operating system is Ubuntu 16.04.1 Mate.  Kernel 4.4.0-38 and Mate 1.12.1.  The computer came with a one Tierabyte Hard drive running at 5400 rpm.  I changed that to a 480 gb ssd to enhance performance.  So total cost of computer $720.  The hard drive is a christmas gift.

This is one of the most Linux supported computers on the market.  The idea pad 510-15ISK has a very helpful feature to access the bios and startup screen.  If you look on the right side by the mini usb port you will see a tiny hole.  That hole when pushed with a 5mm precise V5 pen starts the bios/boot screen.

My daughter almost never travels with her laptop so I set the bios to legacy.  Also this laptop has the option to turn off the Nvidia card so I did that to save battery life since she never plays games except for non-action games.  I turned on the VT to use virtualbox with windows 7.

I booted from the usb drive and installed a fresh copy of Ubuntu 16.04 Mate and it installed without any problem at all.

Things that work:

Volumn keys

Brightness keys

Keyboard Lighting (Fn+spacebar)  nice touch.

Play, Pause, FF, keys (all multimedia keys work)

Sound

Sleep, wake, wireless

Touchpad

Card reader

HDMI output/sound

Doesn't work:

Fn key to kill touchpad (touchpad indicator program can be installed to solve this problem)

Everything worked beautifully on the Intel 520 graphics card including with Compiz on full 2d/3d mode.  All Wobbly windws, and transparency works. The Nvidia card works when the drivers are installed from "additional drivers" contained in the Ubuntu install and "hot switch from Intel to Nvidia works.  

The Ideapad sleeps and wakes instantly and has worked without problems.

Well, thats about it.  The fit and finish of the Ideapad although not as good a the Thinkpad is still good and the finish is good but can be easily scratched.

The only real gripe I would have if this were my computer is the lack of a hard drive activity light and the charging and sleep indicator lights are on the side where they can not be easily seen.  Otherwise everything else is great.  Good job Lenovo.

Crust

lvlrf
What's DOS?
Views: 27,035
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Ideapad 510

Hi Dear,

I Have This LabTop and need your help :-)

i Install Ubuntu 16.4 TLS and after install done, Download Driver from Geforce.com and Gave me a .run file should install it in terminal with this command

sh filename.run

in instalation x server, should service be stop (sudo service lightdm stop)

after successfull install i reboot the system and Cand login to user.

How do you install NVIDIA driver on it?

Please Help me :-)

Thanks Buddy

crust
Paper Tape
Views: 27,032
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Ideapad 510

Hi, what's DOS,  when I install the nvidia drivers I use the >system>preferences>hardware>addidtional drivers, tab.  If you have dual cards you will also need Primus, bumble bee and nvidia settings,  these are all in synaptic.

If your ubuntu did not come with "synaptic"  open a terminal and type:  sudo apt-get update   then after it updates type:  sudo apt-get install synaptic     after synaptic is installed open it in start>system>administration>synaptic.    Search for   Primus   bumblebee  and  nvidia settings.

You may also find that there is another update for nvidia.  Hope this helps

crust

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors