Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fermatseye
What's DOS?
Views: 5,343
Message 1 of 4

Ubuntu Install on Thinkpad 11e

Has anyone successfully installed Ubuntu 16.04 on an 11e with Windows 10? I've had several issues. Finally got a complete install but it will not boot from grub. Throughout all my attempts there is a soft lockup that occurs usually on CPU#1 or #2 for ~23s and then it locks up completely. The complete install happened after I changed the quick splash option to noapic in the boot protocol.

Secure Boot has been disabled, windows hibernation has been disabled, I've tried with and without partitioning drive space prior to install, all solutions that Ive been able to find online have been tried. Booting from USB CD  on thumb drive created with Rufus, boot order has been properly configured on BIOS/UEFI.

I would think this would be a straightforward install, all my other experiences with Lenovo machines have been smooth, which was why I bought the 11e in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Fermatseye
What's DOS?
Views: 5,331
Message 2 of 4

Re: Ubuntu Install on Thinkpad 11e

OK, I got Ubuntu to load properly. I did run boot-repair in the interim, although I'm not sure it changed much. Note: I had to change the boot order from USB CD specifically to the USB which contained boot-repair.

When I rebooted into Grub, I again changed the quick splash kernel option to noapic. Booted right up after going through the usual routine. After some use I will report back if things are going well. Surely I'm not the only one who has gotten hung up on this process!

Another question would be: what is it about the lenovo hardware setup that requires the APIC to be circumvented?

Vlad_K
Paper Tape
Views: 5,279
Message 3 of 4

I successfully installed Ubuntu-mate 16.10 without any hiccups. The key is simple: Kernel 4.7 and up.
This is not the problem of Lenovo, this is the problem of Linux/Intel. This is my report on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R25AQGRBFCQHHN/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01EP...
Fermatseye
What's DOS?
Views: 5,224
Message 4 of 4

Upgraded to 16.10 Ubuntu-Mate but same problems persist. >4min load in time, will not shut down system, etc.

When I have the time I am going to do a clean install and will report back.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors