Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

872 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

535 Signins

6521 Page Views

• Views: 6521
  • Message 11 of 54

Re:Ubuntu OEM images available for download from Lenovo site

2021-03-08, 16:49 PM

P17 isn't released yet I'm afraid - looks like it hasn't completed e-cert. Hence why no image on the support site.

I can give you the certified image (PM me), but be aware that it's not completed our full internal process. 

Mark

Options

18 Posts

03-21-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 12 of 54

2021-03-21, 19:26 PM

Is there a timeline for when the image for the Thinkpad P15 Gen 1 will be available (for Ubuntu 20.04)?

My preference is to switch to Linux Mint, but if that doesn't work out..., then I want to be able to move back to the Lenovo-tuned Ubuntu...

Thx!

Options

872 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

535 Signins

6521 Page Views

• Message 13 of 54

2021-03-22, 16:00 PM

Hi,

P15 Ubuntu is available online now. I need to chase the support team on the downloadable link but just let me know and I can share that image directly.

Mint should work - depending on which graphics card I recommend using the proprietary nvidia driver. The RTX4000 has some nasty  nouveau driver issues that have shown up on the P15 that is blocking our Fedora release currently. If you see problems around suspend/resume then make sure you're using the proprietary driver until we get the issue solved and a fix out.

Mark

Options

18 Posts

03-21-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

175 Page Views

• Views: 175
  • Message 14 of 54

2021-03-22, 17:14 PM

Thx Mark.

I have a little time to spend getting ducks in a row, etc., since the machine gets delivered tomorrow, and I need to put it to immediate use prior to the weekend.  I just want to know that when I have some experimentation time on my hands, that the image will be available for fall back purposes.

Cheers!

Options

1175 Posts

04-21-2020

Turkey

758 Signins

12786 Page Views

• Views: 12786
  • Message 15 of 54

Ynt::Ubuntu OEM images available for download from Lenovo site

2021-03-22, 19:36 PM

Hello

Out of curiosity: What's different between Lenovo's Ubuntu OEM images and Ubuntu ISO's?

I don't think it's a custom kernel, maybe it is a configuration? Also, do Ubuntu OEM ISOs have TLP (or some extra pkgs) installed in addition to regular Ubuntu?

I don't want to use Ubuntu (bcs of Gnome3 and snaps) so that's why I'm asking. AFAIK some ThinkPads use regular Fedoras. Why regular Fedora but custom Ubuntu?

Sorry if I'm asking wrong questions here

Thanks in advance

Options

872 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

535 Signins

6521 Page Views

• Message 16 of 54

2021-03-22, 21:53 PM

Hi @ugurcansayan 

All good questions :)

We don't actually change or add anything to the Canonical image ourselves - the OEM image we get is provided by Canonical and we don't tinker with it.

It is a bit different from if you download the image from Canonical directly as they do the HW enablement from our platforms which means:

- They use their OEM kernel rather than the regular kernel. This means HW support gets integrated a bit earlier without impacting existing users. Canonical can take newer patches with less risk to their general users and take fixes before they're accepted upstream. This all gets merged into their mainstream fairly quickly (I believe usually a month or two) but let's OEMs get their shiny new HW out sooner. This is actually quite important - Linux is awesome but the process of getting fixes submitted, approved, upstream and then back down takes quite a lot of time - we're trying really hard to get our platforms out with Linux support as quickly as possible which is quite a challenge.

- They do enable the Nvidia proprietary driver by default which isn't done in a stock image. There are arguments for and against this but the reality is that the majority of people who buy a system with nvidia want the proprietary driver so it usually makes sense.

- I believe the browser is different - but my memory has gone blank on which one has which. I think we have chromium installed by default because it has better touchscreen support (or maybe it's Firefox...). 

- Our OEM image has documentation and warranty info and other boring paperwork in /opt/lenovo. For those with insomnia

You're right, we do Fedora on a few platforms, and the agreement with the Fedora community is we don't alter their image at all except for the documentation in /opt/lenovo which we got special dispensation for. It means for open source folk who want just open source they get that experience and can be confident they are getting just Fedora. Hopefully we'll grow the Fedora project - it's a bit more work for us internally but they're a fantastic community. Note, we also do RHEL certification on the majority of our platforms.

Our aim is to get all support upstream so any distro will work. Some distro's can take longer than others, depending on their process and when they pull in updates, but this week I've run Debian on a couple of my systems and helped a user with audio issues on Gentoo - and it's all good. We want Linux to work well on Lenovo and we really appreciate the work the community and our partner distro's do to make that happen - both Canonical and Red Hat/Fedora are genuinely awesome to work with in that respect.

Sorry - long answer :) I started rambling, but hope that helps a bit

Mark

Options

1175 Posts

04-21-2020

Turkey

758 Signins

12786 Page Views

• Views: 12786
  • Message 17 of 54

Ynt::Ubuntu OEM images available for download from Lenovo site

2021-03-23, 0:06 AM

Hello @MarkRHPearson 

First of all, I appreciate this 'long' reply of yours because it is well-explanatory and informative for me:)

I was worried that there were some exclusive drivers and programs with custom configurations, which won't be available for anyone who is using anything other than the OEM image, and your reply explained everything I needed to know!

Thanks for your time and  information :)

Options

72 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

264 Signins

1316 Page Views

• Views: 1316
  • Message 18 of 54

2021-03-23, 5:34 AM

I installed the official distro (20.04.02 LTS) from Canonical.   The installer detected that I have a P17 and added a repository called simon.sutton that is for specificaly for Lenovo support.  Eventualy after a series of system updates, the machine is now running "5.8.0-45-generic", but if I look at all the kernels that I have previously installed on this machine I can see oem too (see list below) .  

Question: Is the idea that the features contained in 5.6 (specifically for lenovo) were eventually rolled into 5.8?   At the moment the machine is is running "5.8.0-45-generic"

ii  linux-image-5.6.0-1050-oem                 5.6.0-1050.54                         amd64        Signed kernel image oem
ii  linux-image-5.8.0-45-generic               5.8.0-45.51~20.04.1+1                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
ii  linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04              5.8.0.45.51~20.04.31                  amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
ii  linux-image-oem-20.04                      5.6.0.1050.46                         amd64        OEM Linux kernel image

Options

872 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

535 Signins

6521 Page Views

• Message 19 of 54

2021-03-23, 17:48 PM

Hi @Alex238 

I'd forgotten Canonical added the system detection and auto-enablement of the oem meta layer - thanks for that point.

Yes, everything gets rolled into the kernel updates.  In most cases the OEM kernel just has upstream patches that got backported, or fixes that are proposed upstream. Once you've updated the kernel that's no longer needed.

Mark

Options

6 Posts

03-13-2021

Australia

17 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 20 of 54

2021-03-31, 8:33 AM

Hi @MarkRHPearson 

Any chance that the AMD P14s (Gen 1) units are going to get Ubuntu-certified ? I'm currently testing them out and whilst they run vanilla Ubuntu 'almost' perfectly, would be great justification if they get officially certified (and supported) . The current price-point / power fits our linux-based use case very well. Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms