Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

05-10-2021

United States of America

12 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 31 of 54

Re:Ubuntu OEM images available for download from Lenovo site

2021-05-10, 22:18 PM
I have a T14 AMD ordered and in transit. Do I need to send it back before I open it, or is there some way to mitigate this problem until it is officially worked out? I am not a road warrior so I can be plugged in most of the time, but I am not keen on frying my new battery right out of the gate either.
Options

21 Posts

08-26-2020

France

26 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 32 of 54

2021-05-23, 18:52 PM

Hello,

I've bought a ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL. without OS because Linux was not an option in France where I live.

I've seen that Ubuntu is available because https://certification.ubuntu.com/hardware/202008-28154 says the laptop tested was installed by Lenovo.

Alas, I'm unable to download any Linux image on the Lenovo Support site. The only proposed option is Windows.

So I'll be happy to hear how you did it if someone succeded

Many thanks in advance for your answer and help !

HAve a nice and bright day and stay safe !

Options

72 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

264 Signins

1316 Page Views

• Views: 1316
  • Message 33 of 54

2021-05-23, 21:24 PM

download the official Ubuntu LTS version and that will automatically install the Lenovo drivers and kernel. After installation look at the repositories, and you will see that the extra repository has been added (simon sutton).

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2021

Australia

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 34 of 54

2021-07-26, 4:01 AM

Hi Mark,

I have an M90n-1 which runs Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server fine but I'd like to run Ubuntu Desktop on it.  The Live USB works fine but once I do an install it fails to see the ethernet interface.

Lenovo certified with Ubuntu | Ubuntu

says they have certified the M90n-1 with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. but it appears that I need the Lenovo version.

Can you clarify where I can find/download it?

I followed your general instructions for "Order Recovery Media" but all I seem to have access to is USBRecoveryCreator for Windows.  Upon unboxing I immediately installed CentOS so I have no need for Window Recovery.

Cheers

Options

72 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

264 Signins

1316 Page Views

• Views: 1316
  • Message 35 of 54

2021-07-26, 14:06 PM
for my P17 , I downloaded the stock image from canonical (certified for that machine) and automatically detected that it needed to add the lenovo repositories and install the additional software.
Options

860 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

532 Signins

6451 Page Views

• Views: 6451
  • Message 36 of 54

2021-07-26, 16:59 PM

Hi

@iAlchemist - can you send me the kernel logs for your issue. I'm just looking at a problem where on the M90n with the Realtek LAN card only one ethernet port is working. It looks like a kernel regression but I'm still building/checking. I can get you the OEM image if you want (PM me) - but it's pretty old now.

For the download images - the support team switched everything to their new download recovery tool and you'll only get the Linux image if you ordered a Linux preloaded system. If you brought a windows machine you'll get the Windows image (and no-os gets nothing). We had a lot of debate about this but from their point of view it fits with their support model. I don't myself agree with it but we agreed that they were supposed to have the manual download images available on the site in the meantime, at least until we actually had the Linux systems rolled out worldwide and available to order easily. Looks like they removed those manual links and I need to go and figure out how to get those back up.

As people point out - if you install the Ubuntu standard image then you'll get the OEM fixes automatically. The only caveat is on new platforms as it takes a while before fixes from the OEM stream make it in - but that's pretty small now. 

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2021

Australia

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 37 of 54

2021-07-27, 4:25 AM

Hi,

@MarkRHPearson - I've done another clean install of Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.5 LTS on my N90-1 with the same results.  It boots from the USB into Ubuntu and I have access to both ethernet and WiFi ... I then do a minimal install to the whole drive including getting updates but when it boots from the SSD only WiFi is accessible ... wired networking isn't even an option.  Software & Updates acknowledges that NIC is not working.

Is the driver available separately?

I have the kern.log for the initial boot after a fresh install.  I hope it contains useful details.  What is the best way to deliver it?

Yes I'd like to try the OEM Image Ubuntu reference.  It would be nice if it was accessible from where they identify the machine as being certified.  Well may it be old, but surely one can simply apply updates?

Buying a machine without an OS was not an option when I ordered the M90n.  I chose Windows 10 Home as there is no point paying for Pro when you intend to erase the SSD and install Linux anyway.  The box has been running CentOS 7.8 just fine but the app I need to run is only going to be supported on Ubuntu going forward and presently requires 18.04 ... not 20.04.

I have a couple of ThinkCentre M920q machines also running CentOS 7.8 which need to be moved on to Ubuntu 18.04 sometime.  Looking for a box about the same size as a Mac mini which can be run headless.  It would be ideal if it came with Ubuntu rather than Windows.

Cheers.

Options

7 Posts

05-12-2021

Russian Federation

12 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 38 of 54

2021-08-09, 12:55 PM

Could anyone please share a link for Ubuntu on ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6 (Type 20XY, 20Y0) ?
I saw, that Canonical already certified this.

Options

109 Posts

12-26-2020

Austria

60 Signins

840 Page Views

• Views: 840
  • Message 39 of 54

2021-08-09, 22:37 PM

If you have downloaded an image, can you upload it elsewhere or create a torrent? AFAIK, there shouldn't be a problem given the GPL.

Options

5 Posts

10-10-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 40 of 54

2021-08-20, 0:38 AM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

Hi

@iAlchemist - can you send me the kernel logs for your issue. I'm just looking at a problem where on the M90n with the Realtek LAN card only one ethernet port is working. It looks like a kernel regression but I'm still building/checking. I can get you the OEM image if you want (PM me) - but it's pretty old now.

For the download images - the support team switched everything to their new download recovery tool and you'll only get the Linux image if you ordered a Linux preloaded system. If you brought a windows machine you'll get the Windows image (and no-os gets nothing). We had a lot of debate about this but from their point of view it fits with their support model. I don't myself agree with it but we agreed that they were supposed to have the manual download images available on the site in the meantime, at least until we actually had the Linux systems rolled out worldwide and available to order easily. Looks like they removed those manual links and I need to go and figure out how to get those back up.

As people point out - if you install the Ubuntu standard image then you'll get the OEM fixes automatically. The only caveat is on new platforms as it takes a while before fixes from the OEM stream make it in - but that's pretty small now. 

Hello! Has there been any movement on providing manual links for Linux images? The laptop I have says it is certified by Canonical, but Lenovo does not offer Linux preloaded on it so I can't request a downloaded image or recovery media.

Thanks for all of your help, we really appreciate it!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms