Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

0 Posts

02-09-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 4

[Ubuntu] X1 carbon 7th gen intermittent touchpad issues

2020-02-10, 9:21 AM

50% of the time when I boot up my touchpad doesn't work. Dmesg gives me the error "i2c_designware controller time out", but disabling the feature/blacklisting the kernel module has no effect.

Has anyone been able to resolve this? It could be a hardware issue as it persisted a reinstall of my OS. I am currently running Kubuntu 19.10

Answer
Options

886 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

538 Signins

6611 Page Views

• Views: 6611

Re: [Ubuntu] X1 carbon 7th gen intermittent touchpad issues

2020-02-13, 21:40 PM

Hi,

There is a touchpad firmware update available for the X1C7 on LVFS - I believe it's this one of these:

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPad.TMP3468.firmware

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPad.TMP3467.firmware

(I'm running the 2nd one - the 1st one isn't installing on my X1C7 which is curious - need to look into why)

Check what version of firmware you have installed on yours and update if it's older than 1.3.3013337. Easiest way to check the version is with fwupmgr get-devices.

Note, if it fwupdmgr doesn't work (the touchpad isn't displayed) you may need to update your version of fwupdmgr - the easiest way I've found on doing it is with snaps. For Debian and derivatives:

sudo apt install snapd

snap install fwupd --classic

#Note – either logout/login or add /snap/bin to your PATH

fwupd.fwupdmgr get-devices

There was an issue where the smbus locked up sometimes on reboot - a power cycle would fix it before this firmware was released. It sounds for the X1C7 case as if that's what you're hitting.

For the X250 - that sounds different. I'll see what I can find. Check the firmware - you never know :)

Mark

Replies(3)
Options

1 Posts

02-13-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2020-02-13, 20:03 PM

Maybe not the same thing but: I have a ThinkPad X250 running Debian 10 with standard v4.19 linux kernel.

After updating packages shortly after Debian 10.3 was released (Debian 10.3 was released February 8th, 2020) I started encounter these symptomps:

• when running the graphical deskop, my mouse cursor would very slowly start to moving towards the lower left of my screen
  • the touchpad would either only work on the outermost corners, not work at all or only work on one or the other reboot

IIRC when I updated my packages on the release of Debain 10.3, I updated from kernel 4.19.0-6 to 4.19.0-8. I do not recall anymore all the other packages that changed.

Anyhow. For about four days I wasn't able to use the touchpad (which is super annoying to say the least).

I compiled kernel 5.6 and ran it. But weird enough it would happen with this kernel as well.

I will try going back to kernel 4.19.0-6 but my feeling tells me it is something else. Maybe the synaptics touchpad driver firmware (if there is one that goes with the driver). I also suspected it might be a hardware issue that was cause by bending the a circuit board while holding the laptop only on its lower left conerer for some time.

Open for suggestions on how I could debug further. I will look into identifying the device file that respesents the touchpad in the /dev/input file system in order to read its output while I operate the touchpad. I am not sure how exactly the touchpad is wired to the mainboard of the laptop. Maybe SMBus/I2C?

@lenovo: Always happy to receive schematics : )

Answer
Options

886 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

538 Signins

6611 Page Views

• Views: 6611
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-02-13, 21:40 PM

Hi,

There is a touchpad firmware update available for the X1C7 on LVFS - I believe it's this one of these:

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPad.TMP3468.firmware

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devices/com.lenovo.ThinkPad.TMP3467.firmware

(I'm running the 2nd one - the 1st one isn't installing on my X1C7 which is curious - need to look into why)

Check what version of firmware you have installed on yours and update if it's older than 1.3.3013337. Easiest way to check the version is with fwupmgr get-devices.

Note, if it fwupdmgr doesn't work (the touchpad isn't displayed) you may need to update your version of fwupdmgr - the easiest way I've found on doing it is with snaps. For Debian and derivatives:

sudo apt install snapd

snap install fwupd --classic

#Note – either logout/login or add /snap/bin to your PATH

fwupd.fwupdmgr get-devices

There was an issue where the smbus locked up sometimes on reboot - a power cycle would fix it before this firmware was released. It sounds for the X1C7 case as if that's what you're hitting.

For the X250 - that sounds different. I'll see what I can find. Check the firmware - you never know :)

Mark

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

0 Posts

02-09-2020

United States of America

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-02-14, 8:25 AM

Thanks, this worked perfectly!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms