Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-14-2012

UK

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 1 of 10

Using a monitor with W530 and Ubuntu

2012-08-14, 13:05 PM

I've currently got an external monitor working in Windows with my W530 but in Ubuntu the monitor isn't detected, am I missing something? Are there additional drivers that must be installed?

Options

3 Posts

08-14-2012

UK

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: Using a monitor with W530 and Ubuntu

2012-08-14, 13:25 PM

This has been solved now. I changed the graphics card to use 'discrete' on bootup.

Options

8 Posts

04-08-2012

USA

11 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 3 of 10

2012-08-15, 5:07 AM

Same situation as you; I've been trying to figure out how to get my display on my external monitor. When I choose 'Discrete' in the BIOS, and not using an external monitor, Ubuntu 12.04 would never boot all the way up, it would stop somewhere during it's purple splash screen. Even with the Nvidia drivers, Bubmlebee, etc... It looked like things would just crash.

So you're saying that if I choose discrete in the BIOS, the video signal will get sent via the VGA port? Or are you using the DisplayPort? I don't have my W530 and an external monitor in the same place to test.

**UPDATE**

So I got my W530 and monitor in the same place. When selecting Discrete, I can choose VGA has the monitor. I boot up, get GRUB, select the OS, then the screen goes blank with a flashing underline cursor in the upper left of the external monitor.

I'm using exactly what came with Ubuntu. I've not installed Bumblebee, the latest Nvidia drivers... I need to know how you have your setup to get it working with an external monitor.

Thanks.

Options

12 Posts

06-27-2012

San Francisco

7 Signins

112 Page Views

• Views: 112
  • Message 4 of 10

2012-08-16, 2:10 AM
My experience may not apply to you because I do this on a W520. But I have found two modes where this computer works well. In either case you need to make sure that the setting that switches between discrete and integrated graphics (Optimus?) is turned off. In the first mode, I set the display to discrete graphics and in the security settings I disable the virtualization settings (VT-X or something). This works well with the NVidia graphics drivers. The only negative is that in this mode VirtualBox has trouble with my VMs. I haven't tried the experiment but I am wondering if VirtualBox will work fine with a 32 bit VM. This gives the remote display and the NVidia accelerated graphics. In the second mode, I set the display to integrated graphics and I enable the virtualization settings. This also works very well and enables my VirtualBox VM's. But I don't have the remote display capability or the graphics acceleration. It works very well in this mode though also. If you find yourself switching back and forth there is one other glitch. When switching from integrated graphics to discrete graphics, I need to do an extra boot before the NVidia drivers kick in properly.
Options

1 Posts

04-08-2013

Austria

1 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 5 of 10

2013-04-08, 23:31 PM

this is a major bug in current thinkpad w530 bios!!! even latest version 2.52 from 19 Mar 2013 does not fix it!

you cannot user Virtualization (VT-x) AND discrete = nvidia graphic device without getting troubles. unfortunately only nvidia allows the usage of external monitor.

PS:I currently use kernel: 3.9.0rc5. kernel > 3.8 bring better intel HD performance.

Options

7 Posts

05-13-2013

PERU

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 6 of 10

2013-05-14, 15:57 PM

Hi guys, my little 2 cents.

Environment:

Lenovo W530 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bits

VMware WorkStation 9.0.2 build 1031769 with Windows 7 Ent 64 bits

Problem: The same, use external monitor with ubuntu

Solution used:

1. Install the "X Updates" team's PPA, and install the latest Nvidia drivers, which supports the Quadro K1000M. In the terminal enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

2. The most important step Reboot. At the Lenovo BIOS screen press "Enter" to interrupt normal startup, F1 to enter BIOS setup utility. Change Config > Display > Graphics Device to Discrete Graphics. This means the hardware will attempt to use only the Nvidia graphics card, not the Intel integrated graphics. Press F10 to save and boot the computer.

Notes:

a. Dont worry when display grub in low display resolution

b. Now I can use any external monitor using VGA port with Ubuntu

c. Additionally, configuring VM setting to use 2 monitors, I could activate "Cycle multiple monitors" and use the external monitor with my vmware session, really wonderful.

Options

4 Posts

11-20-2013

Germany

4 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 7 of 10

2013-11-20, 15:21 PM

Hi,

I have the same Environment: Lenovo W530 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bits and I did the same installation like you did.

When I open the display settings dialog, the only resolution I can select is 1920 x 1080. This hinders me to have mirrored displays.

• How can I get back my different resolution settings?

Second issue: The brightness control (F8/F9) does not work. When I press one of those function keys, the system does a hard crash and I need to switch it off.

I have tried to put the EnableBrightness stuff into the /etc/X11xorg.conf and to create a file in /usr/shar/X11/xorg.conf.d. Both does not help

• How can I get brightness control activated to have longer battery power?

Thanks for help

Hajo

Options

18 Posts

11-19-2013

Vancouver Canada

34 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 8 of 10

2013-11-23, 1:16 AM
Works like a charm for me!!

David
Options

18 Posts

11-19-2013

Vancouver Canada

34 Signins

156 Page Views

• Views: 156
  • Message 9 of 10

2013-11-26, 0:59 AM

I obviously spoke too soon ....

W530 Ubuntu 13.10 .... After installing Nvidia-current

Using bios display setting  'discrete' with Optimus disabled everything runs correctly and I am able to connect an external monitor with full control and without any signs of 'tearing'.

However I would like to be also able to utilize the 'Integrated ' mode to achieve a longer battery life for travel purposes.  I am unable to use this side of the display system at all. Tested both with Opimus both enabled as well as disabled.

Has anybody found a way around this?

David

Options

2 Posts

02-22-2012

United States of America

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 10 of 10

2014-04-21, 0:40 AM

I also just got a W530 and am very disappointed to learn that I cannot drive an external VGA monitor with Integrated (intel) graphics, but rather, must use Discrete (nvidia) graphics.    

The battery life with Discrete is much shorter than with Integrated.  I'd much prefer the longer battery life (of integrated) and I don't need fancy graphics (of discrete).  In fact, for what I do, I can't 'see' any difference between the two.    However, I do like to drive a VGA monitor and now I can't do that AND keep long battery life. 

What caused this? Where is the poor design?  Is this a HW or a SW driver issue?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms