cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stripathi
Blue Screen Again
Views: 410
Message 1 of 3

Win 10 Ubuntu dual Boot - Live USB cannot see my SSD volumes but Win10 works fine

I am look for some advice/ help on this perplexing issue that has been hounding me for days now.

I have X1 Carbon 6th Gen. It came with 512 SSD with windows 10. I split SSD into 2 parts, and installed ubuntu 18.04 into the second one. Grub is my boot manager

Everything was working fine. One day, Ubuntu crashes. On subsequent boot, it takes me to initramfs prompt, saying that I need to run fsck manually on /dev/nvme0n5. Once I run that, it says that it cannot re-mount nvme0n5 - no such file or directory exits. It happens every single time.

I googled a bit. I was told I need to run fsck on nvme0n5 externally, i.e. using a live USB. I created Ubuntu Live USB using Rufus with Gpt and UEFI. When I boot in, I was not able to see nvme0n5 using $ fdisk -l. Moreover, I can't see any parition except USB on Gparted

Since then I have tried:

• Live USB with/ without Secure Boot option
  • Disabling Bitlocker
  • Some people suggested changing SSD config to AHCI from Raid. I cannot see any such option in my BIOS utility. In fact, I hardly see any information on SSD in boot
  • Disable UEFI only boot to Legacy, Both options in BIOS
  • Run ubuntu in recovery option - it always gets stuck on purple screen with inital ramdisk ... even with nomodeset options.

In all of this, Win 10 works perfectly fine. I thought about re-installing Ubuntu. However, all the online guides suggest I do it via Live USB, and I can't find my SSD volume when I try to install via Live USB option.

Any advice/ help would be a life saver!

stripathi
Blue Screen Again
Views: 323
Message 2 of 3

Re: Win 10 Ubuntu dual Boot - Live USB cannot see my SSD volumes but Win10 works fine

For anyone facing the same issue:

I gave up on fixing the existing Ubuntu. Live USB was not able to detect drives because of sector issues on ubuntu volume. I was able to see that in boot up logs of Live USB

I went to Ubuntu, deleted the volume. And did a fresh Ubuntu installation.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 298
Message 3 of 3

Re: Win 10 Ubuntu dual Boot - Live USB cannot see my SSD volumes but Win10 works fine

Hi stripathi!

Thank you for using the community forums.

We have limited support and compatibility for Linux OS. Based on this article https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd031426?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6, the Thinkpad X1 Carbon is tested only to work with the Ubuntu 16.04 version. You may try first to install the recommended Ubuntu version and check if the issue remains.

Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors