Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dwhiting56
Serial Port
Views: 183
Message 1 of 5

X1 Carbon 6th Gen cannot boot 32-bit Linux off USB

I just got a brand-new X1 Carbon 6th generation. For years I have used a multiboot (YUMI) USB flash drive,  with variious tools on it, such as different versions of Linux and Acronis (which uses Linux to boot). I have used it successfully on dozens of different computers from Lenovo (T400, T420s, T430s, T460, T460s, etc) and other manufacturers (Dell, HP, ASUS, etc). However, with my new X1 Carbon, I cannot get the 32-bit version of Linux or Acronis to boot -- it hangs part way through the startup process. The 64-bit version of each of them works just fine, including different versions. This is very repeatable. It seems to be a 32-bit problem.

Thinking the problem might be the way YUMI set things up on the flash drive, I burned a DVD with Linux Mint 19.1, 32-bit, and tried to boot from that using am external USB DVD drive. Same problem -- it hangs! See the attached image.

This feels like some kind of a BIOS issue. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks!

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 138
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Carbon 6th Gen cannot boot 32-bit Linux off USB

Since you state 64 bit is working why would you ever need to boot a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit machine.  All 32 bit applications should run fine on a 64 Bit base installation.

dwhiting56
Serial Port
Views: 136
Message 3 of 5

Some of the tools are 32-bit. I have about a dozen tools on the flash drive. Yes, my main OS is 64-bit Windows, but this is about booting temporarily from USB to get some job done. It seems that Lenovo has broken something (in the BIOS, I assume) that has worked for at least a decade in their Thinkpads

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 99
Message 4 of 5

As I stated you can create a 64 bit OS boot key, you may need to install the 32 bit compatability libraries for some of your applications to run correctly.  The main distrobutions for Linux have been dropping support for a 32 bit bootable kernel since all 32 applications will run on a 64 bit install.

dwhiting56
Serial Port
Views: 95
Message 5 of 5

Understood. The world is going 64-bit, and that's great. But I still claim that Lenovo has broken something in terms of compatiblity with existing 32-bit Linux. I have used these versions of Linux for years on lots on lots of different computers. My X1 Carbon is the first machine that doesn't work with them. I know that Lenovo prides itself on being compatible, but in this case it is failing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors