Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 1 of 19

X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from external USD SSD results in windows bitlocker recovery

2021-05-05, 4:38 AM

Dear all,

My 7th Gen X1 Carbon comes with Windows 10 which is my main use for work. 

After hours, I would like to play around with Ubuntu and would therefore like to boot into Ubuntu from an external USB SSD. 

In simple terms - what you want to achieve is leaving my Windows 10 installation pristine, and occasionally booting Ubuntu installed on an External USB SSD.

I've created an external bootable SSD. This was done by first using the ubuntu live installer, which I booted into by F12 from the Lenovo start up screen.

The external bootable SSD was partitioned as follows: 1) FAT32 boot/efi partition; 2) linux-swap partition; 3) ext4 journaling partition for ubuntu.

I had initial bootloader / grub bash-like (?) problems with the SSD creation which I had to solve by moving the bootloader to the external SSD following the guide at https://itsfoss.com/fix-minimal-bash-line-editing-supported-grub-error-linux

I also had to clean the dual boot configuration from the internal Windows SSD following the guide at https://www.58bits.com/blog/2020/02/28/how-create-truly-portable-ubuntu-installation-external-usb-hdd-or-ssd (part F towards the end of the post).

On the X1 Carbon UEFI settings (new graphical version, not the old text version), I had to disable secure boot and enable both legacy and UEFI boot. Additionally, in Windows, I disabled the fast boot settings to enable the "enter" interrupt to the Lenovo start up screen.

I need help on the following problems booting the external Ubuntu SSD:

1. when F12 at the Lenovo start up screen, I select the SSD, but there is no effect and the UEFI screen returns to the same boot disk selection page
  2. when I give up trying to boot the external SSD, and return to Windows (internal SSD) - I must pass through the bitlocker recovery page (lucky I have the bitlocker recovery key!)
  3. even when I remove the external SSD - or any time I plug in or remove - I get the bitlocker recovery page (luckily it is not fatal)!

I need some help to resolve this. This is also cross-posted in the ThinkPad X series forums - https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-7th-Gen-booting-ubuntu-from-USD-SSD-results-in-bitlocker-recovery/m-p/5077996 

Thanks in advance.

Options

2835 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

350 Signins

14421 Page Views

• Views: 14421
  • Message 2 of 19

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from external USD SSD results in windows bitlocker recovery

2021-05-05, 8:44 AM

Hi fazz27,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Try disabling "Secure Boot" in the BIOS Security section. 

You can also try to temporarily disable the bitlocker encryption. See here

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 3 of 19

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from external USD SSD results in windows bitlocker recovery

2021-05-05, 13:00 PM

Hi Voithos,

Thanks for the reply and guidance.

I did in fact disable secure boot in the UEFI settings. 

You can also try to temporarily disable the bitlocker encryption. See here

I also tried to disable bitlocker in Windows according to the link you provided. I only dared to try the Windows one - option #1. But my Windows version doesn't have the manage bitlocker item in Control Panel. I'm not yet ready to try the other options. 

Regards

fazz

Options

17 Posts

12-17-2020

Belgium

26 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 4 of 19

2021-05-05, 16:57 PM

got similar problems with my Lenovo P17 Gen 1 laptop after install multi-boot Win10 and Xubuntu and Ubuntu, I've removed (not disabled) bitlocker (under windows) disabled secure boot in BIOS and also changed in BIOS graphics from hybrid graphics to discrete graphics. 

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 5 of 19

2021-05-05, 23:01 PM

Hi pvdeynse,

Which method did you use to remove bitlocker? 

Is it safe to remove bitlocker completely?

fazz

Options

17 Posts

12-17-2020

Belgium

26 Signins

180 Page Views

• Message 6 of 19

2021-05-06, 7:51 AM

i've used the following two documents:

FIX: Lenovo BitLocker requests recovery key at every boot

How to disable BitLocker in Windows 10 [Quick Guide]

in short:

win10 -> settings -> System -> About

in the right pane i have "BitLocker settings"

i can no longer use "BitLocker settings" because it's only part of Win10 Pro and i only have Win10 Home on my computer but i have been able to remove BitLocker from my two hard drives, hope this help for you. In order to re-use BitLocker i get the option to upgrade to Win10 PRO

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 7 of 19

2021-05-06, 14:46 PM

pvdeynse

i've used the following two documents:

FIX: Lenovo BitLocker requests recovery key at every boot

Thanks for this. Will try this out. Looks like I will have to run this in cmd mode. And do some testing.

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 8 of 19

2021-05-06, 15:48 PM

Hi pvdeynse,

I've managed to disable Bitlocker using the guide above:

I tried Option 4 from the guide using the cmd to disable bitlocker, but it didn't seem to work. After I executed the "manage-bde -off X:", the command prompt returned after a very short decryption (I am using a fresh windows install). I tried booting the external USB SSD, but I couldn't and when I returned to windows it still went through the bitlocker recovery screen.

I later tried Option 6 from the guide and managed to disable bitlocker. And it worked. No more bitlocker recovery screen.

However, I still could not boot from the external USB SSD. As mentioned in my original post - 

when F12 at the Lenovo start up screen, I select the SSD, but there is no effect and the UEFI screen returns to the same boot disk selection page

What could be the reason for this happening?

Cheers

fazz

Options

17 Posts

12-17-2020

Belgium

26 Signins

180 Page Views

• Message 9 of 19

2021-05-06, 16:05 PM

i will be back to you, i'm currently looking for a USB Hard Disk and will see if i can boot from it.

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 10 of 19

2021-05-07, 3:27 AM
Thanks pvdeynse.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)