Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 11 of 19

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from external USD SSD results in windows bitlocker recovery

2021-05-07, 8:04 AM

As I was googling, I stumbled upon this post on these forums:

Unable to boot ubuntu from external ssd on thinkpad

What the OP, PaulieWalnuts described is similar to my problem.

So I followed the guide suggested by timatgca - 

There is an unfortunate bug in the ubuntu installer which may be biting you. Normally when you want to install Ubuntu on an external SSD, you want to have the machine boot from the SSD and therefore you want the Ubuntu boot loader on the SSD. This means you do not touch your existing internal HD at all. With this objective, you carefully tell the ubuntu installer to put the boot loader on the external SSD. However, you are ignored, it puts the boot loader on the first EFI partition it finds, which is the internal SSD. 

Instructions to fix that are here:

https://askubuntu.com/a/1056079/152287 (that is, my answer). 

I re-installed Ubuntu onto the external USB SSD, per instructions which significantly suggested to remove the EFI flags to the internal SSD (Windows) to avoid having the bootloader being installed on the internal Windows SSD. I did this and checked the windows "DiskPart" and saw no ubuntu directory under the EFI partition \efi\ubuntu 

So I thought all was ok.

I rebooted the X1, did the F12, selected the USB SSD to boot - but the screen went blank for a few seconds and returned back to the boot selection screen; just like what the OP PaulieWalnuts said:

But when I try to boot it from my thinkpad, the ssd is visible in my boot options, but everytime I click on it the screen turns black for a couple seconds, and I am returned to the boot menu.

So I am stuck yet again.

Options

218 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

366 Signins

2411 Page Views

• Views: 2411
  • Message 12 of 19

Re:X1 Carbon 7th Gen: booting ubuntu from external USD SSD results in windows bitlocker recovery

2021-05-07, 11:08 AM

A simpler way to make sure it only sees the USB SSD is to disable nvme support for the Ubuntu installer.  When you boot the installer edit the command line and add modprobe.blacklist=nvme and now the internal drive will be invisible

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 13 of 19

2021-05-07, 13:02 PM

DaveOber, 

Thanks for the response. 

I'm sorry I need to ask you how exactly do I edit the command line and disable nvme support. 

When I boot from the Ubuntu live installer, it goes straight to the install pages. At which point do I disable nvme support? Do I "try ubuntu" first before installing? And from there use terminal to disable the nvme support? What exact command do I use in terminal to do this?

Is this nvme support permanently disabled, or only disabled during the ubuntu install to the external USB SSD?

regards

fazz

Options

218 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

366 Signins

2411 Page Views

• Views: 2411
  • Message 14 of 19

2021-05-07, 16:47 PM

To add to the boot command line when the menu comes up select try ubuntu and hit the E key and you should go to a screen that will allow add to the Linux command line

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 15 of 19

2021-05-08, 7:40 AM

DaveOber

May I try to understand the rationale for disabling the nvme support before the Ubuntu installation? Is this to ensure the Ubuntu installer to install the bootloader onto the external USB SSD instead of the internal nvme SSD?

If this is the case - I did that in the previous attempt by removing the EFI flags from the internal nvme SSD. So it should have installed the bootloaders onto the external USB SSD. 

Is there a way I can check where the bootloaders are - both on the external USB SSD as well as check whether it had made some mess to the internal nvme SSD?

Assuming the bootloaders are in the wrong place, is there a way I can correct it without have to re-install everything all over again?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

fazz

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 16 of 19

2021-05-08, 8:04 AM

Another possible clue - I installed ubuntu onto a USB flashdrive (stick, not external SSD) and was able to boot from the flashdrive after F12 at the Lenovo start up screen.

So:

• Ubuntu on USB flashdrive stick = OK
  • Ubuntu on external USB SSD = not working; goes back to UEFI boot selection screen

What could be the possible causes?

Options

17 Posts

12-17-2020

Belgium

26 Signins

180 Page Views

• Views: 180
  • Message 17 of 19

2021-05-08, 9:07 AM

i've been able to find an old USB HDD there was Win10 on it but i was not able to boot from it with F12 boot procedure.

installed ubuntu 21.04 on a partition i've created (/dev/sda7) afterwards was not able to boot from this disk with F12 boot procedure.

then i've been looking around and used following document:

Use Linux efibootmgr Command to Manage UEFI Boot Menu

i did the following:

i created small partition on /dev/sda1 to use as efi partition

sudo umount /boot/efi                                      (this unmount the currently used EFI partition)
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi                    (this mounts EFI partition external drive) 
sudo grub-install /dev/sda --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi/

i still was not able to boot from external  drive

ran "sudo update-grub" and the a new line was added in the grub menu with my external drive ubuntu on it and i was able to boot into this ubuntu

i still need to properly document all this because i'm not sure what i have been doing up to now!

will be back . . .

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 18 of 19

2021-05-08, 12:23 PM

Wow. Thanks pvdeynse for going through all the trouble to duplicate the problem.

ran "sudo update-grub" and the a new line was added in the grub menu with my external drive ubuntu on it and i was able to boot into this ubuntu

I did something similar. I may try out your approach. But would first like to understand the logic and rationale.

When I first installed Ubuntu onto the external USB SSD (GPT), I suspected that the bootloader was not installed onto the external USB SSD (/dev/sdb) - even though I had specified it in the Ubuntu install ("something else" option screen). Upon reboot, I encounter the grub black screen of paralysis (death would be too harsh, lol).

I discovered the following guide: Fix Minimal BASH like line editing is supported GRUB Error In Linux

So I followed the guide, and booted back to the Ubuntu live installer flash drive (MBR). And mounted the /dev/sdb root partitions and the efi boot partitions. But I couldn't install the grub using - 

sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=ubuntu  --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi

But I found in the comments that I should install grub-efi -

sudo apt install grub-efi

I also had to remove the dual boot configuration from the internal SSD drive per part F of the guide in How to Create a Truly Portable Ubuntu Installation on an external USB SSD or HDD (not sure if this was necessary, but I did it regardless).

When I did that, I was able to avoid booting the computer into the grub black screen of paralysis. The computer was able to boot normally. Although still cannot boot from the external USB SSD using F12 boot selection.

Edit: when I F12 select to boot to the ubuntu live installer flashdisk - I get to the GNU Grub menu screen. But this does not happen when I F12 select to boot from the external USB SSD, I don't ever get to the GNU Grub menu screen. Any ideas why?

Could it be the grub version does not work on the X1 carbon? Perhaps this is a silly thing to suggest.

regards

fazz

Options

21 Posts

05-02-2021

Malaysia

28 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2021-05-14, 6:30 AM

Since the problem is now related to inability to boot Ubuntu from an external USB SSD, and not the bitlocker recovery problem, I have move my post to another forum topic: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Unable-to-boot-ubuntu-from-external-ssd-on-thinkpad/m-p/4505342 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms