Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

775 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

504 Signins

5996 Page Views

• Views: 5996
  • Message 41 of 85

Re:X1 Carbon Gen. 9 Ubuntu support, OEM image and instructions

2021-09-16, 18:01 PM

Thanks for the above notes - still struggling to reproduce myself. I've not been able to install the vanilla desktop edition on my system because of some strange USB issue that doesn't make any sense (it's not seeing the /boot directory....and it's definiely there and has the right permissions....and the same stick with Fedora installer on it works.) I'm bamboozled right now and I'm trying to figure out how I get an encrypted disk setup to test

If anybody is able to get it to the broken state and confirm if finalrd is causing the problem that would be useful. That's the main thing that seems different between OEM and generic images. All the X1C9 support should be in generic by this point.

@tgh21 - I'll have to try out the generate recovery media option. I'm slightly embarassed to say that I've never tried it....I have too many Ubuntu images kicking around as it is ;)

Options

7 Posts

09-13-2021

Netherlands

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 42 of 85

2021-09-16, 20:37 PM

My enthusiasm was a bit short-lived, installing the generic kernel messed with the  graphics driver, and function keys to control brightness no longer worked. Back to the oem kernel and using suspend instead of shutdown.

Options

12 Posts

09-06-2021

Denmark

14 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 43 of 85

2021-09-19, 5:37 AM

@MarkRHPearson thanks trying to help us.

Just so I'm sure, I understand the issue at your end: You are not able to reproduce the problem because you are not able to install Ubuntu? If that is the case that sounds like quite a problem.

Maybe try another stick, another X1G9 and use 'Startup Disk Creator' when writing the Ubuntu 20.04.3 image to the stick. Sorry if this comes off as banal to you but not being able to install Ubuntu sounds very weird. I have installed the image downloaded from Canonicals web-site several times without any problems.

Also I do not recognize the part about all support for X1C9 now being in the generic-kernel. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread by me and others the generic-kernel-image does not seem to be a viable option, since the buttons for controlling the backlight don't work (F5, F6). And the aspect ratio is off, can be fixed after login by setting scaling to 200pct - on my machine anyway.  

BR,

Jake

Options

4 Posts

09-19-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 44 of 85

2021-09-19, 22:56 PM

I just received my 20XWCTO1WW ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 9 about a week ago with OEM Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (Kernel: 5.10.0-1045-oem) installed out of the box. After quickly realizing it was an installation with Lenovo specific support, I quickly opted not to wipe and reinstall a fresh installation like I normally do with new machines. However I was disappointed to not have the opportunity to enable full disk encryption. After digging into the BIOS I decided I might see how the NVMe password holds up as an alternative.

That aside, everything has been working fabulously from what I can tell and I've proceeded to setup and go about using my new machine. For the first time last night I shutdown the machine for the night and noticed the keyboard was still lit even after the power light had shut off. I figured it was just a firmware capability, but this morning when I tried to power on the machine it seemed unresponsive which immediately had me quite worried. Eventually I tried holding the power button for some time until it ended up actually powering down which is when I realized it had never actually completely shut off. Based on reading through this thread I've come to understand that the OS had probably shut down but the machine still had power applied, leading me to research the problem and ending up here.

I'm a little disappointed this seems to be an unsupported OS considering it was marketed to me as being supported. I'm not sure why this model isn't listed as a Linux supported model and why there is no public link to download the OEM images. (EDIT: link) While disappointed this is an issue for the expensive machine that I bought WITH Ubuntu, I'm confident it's something that can be resolved. I've PM'd @MarkRHPearson in an attempt to obtain the OEM images and see if a fresh installation helps. If there's anything I can do to help debug this issue or any information about my machine I can provide, I'd be happy to do so. Thanks.

Options

775 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

504 Signins

5996 Page Views

• Views: 5996
  • Message 45 of 85

2021-09-20, 0:31 AM

Hi all,

Got round my very stupid Ubuntu install problem (I finally realised it kept using the rescue partition instead of my USB stuck...once I wiped the rescue partition I could do an encrypted install just fine)

I've not yet been able to reproduce the problem even with an encrypted partition - I have the 1045-oem kernel installed. I'll keep trying but let me know if there are any other tips or things I can try. I've done about a dozen so far and it's looking OK. Is the failure rate for you guys 100% or just occaisional?

@l3na - what graphics drivers are you seeing with the generic kernel? This platform just has the Intel drivers so should be good - we had a problem early on with the hi-res panel and some lagginess that was fixed (disable PSR2) so please let me know what effects you're getting as that would be a different regression and definitely something we need to look at.

@mtthlm - Linux is fully supported on this . Everything should work out of the box. It's been certified by Canonical, tested heavily by our QA team with Ubuntu, Fedora and RHEL. I've sent you the OEM image details but you really shouldn't need it at this point - the system has been out long enough and all the support for it is upstream so most distro's should work well.

Options

6 Posts

09-10-2021

Germany

9 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 46 of 85

2021-09-20, 7:31 AM

Hi Mark,

Is the failure rate for you guys 100% or just occaisional?

It is 100% if I shutdown as user (non-root).

It's about 50% if I shutdown as root.

Thanks for your efforts.

Best

Options

12 Posts

09-06-2021

Denmark

14 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 47 of 85

2021-09-20, 8:27 AM
Hi Mark. Good to know, you got the install part working. About the encryption, what I am doing during install is selection advanced options in the Ubuntu-installer and the LVM+encryption. I also choose to update packages including third party while installing. After I boot into the system the first time I update all packages. Then I reboot. When that is done the 1045-oem kernel is the one being used and I can no longer shutdown the system in a proper way.
Options

4 Posts

09-19-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 48 of 85

2021-09-20, 17:09 PM

@ HXy1121 wrote:

I'm running kernel version "5.10.0-1045-oem".

I just noticed when I execute the "halt -p" command as root, the notebook shuts down perfectly as it is supposed to be!

(This behaviour does not happen when I use "sudo halt -p", which is strange to me).

I'm running the same kernel version. I too am able to run `shutdown -h now` or `halt -p` as root (not using sudo) and the machine almost immediately shuts down and the keyboard is no longer lit and I'm able to power it back on again without a hard power off first.

I now have the OEM image I just need to find time to backup my machine as it is now and do some fresh installation tests.

Options

7 Posts

09-13-2021

Netherlands

7 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 49 of 85

2021-09-20, 20:59 PM

@ MarkRHPearson wrote:

@l3na - what graphics drivers are you seeing with the generic kernel? This platform just has the Intel drivers so should be good - we had a problem early on with the hi-res panel and some lagginess that was fixed (disable PSR2) so please let me know what effects you're getting as that would be a different regression and definitely something we need to look at.

I used the OpenCL driver from https://github.com/intel/compute-runtime

That worked out of the box on the fresh install. After installing the generic kernel, my apps that use this did not work anymore. After switching back to the OEM kernel it works again.

I also notice that with the OEM kernel, when I boot I get a message about a WiFi printer being found - I did not see that message on the generic kernel. Not 100% sure though - and I don't want to try that kernel again, just mentioning it in case anyone else can confirm.

For me the shutdown issue happened every time with the OEM kernel, but I only did that maybe five times and have stopped trying - I now just use suspend.

I have not done anything with encryption. I tried once if using halt as root would work and it didn't.

Options

2 Posts

11-19-2015

Columbia, SC

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 50 of 85

2021-09-21, 2:18 AM

I'm also having this issue on a brand new X1C9. Here are my specs:

Bios: 1.45

Embedded Controller Version N32HT47W (1.27)

I'm running kernel 5.10.0-1045-oem factory installed.

No encrypted drives.  

At first, I thought it was simply a battery/power failure and was preparing to return. Then I realized the machine wasn't turning off completely. I'm hopeful I won't need to return it now. 

Also, as others have mentioned:

sudo -i

halt -p

will cause shutdown as normal. Otherwise 100% failure rate by selecting shutdown from the menu or `shutdown 0` from terminal. 

If there is something you would like me to test I can put off immediately fixing the issue via kernel update, etc. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks!

Erik

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms