Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsUbuntu
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 23

X1 Nano deep suspend

2021-04-09, 6:30 AM

Hello,

I have been using my new X1 Nano for a few weeks with Ubuntu 20.04 (self-installed, not pre-installed since this was not available in my territory). I have noticed an issue with putting my machine into suspend, namely that the battery drains ~5% per hour.

Examining `cat /sys/power/mem_sleep` shows that only [s2idle] is supported, i.e. no deep suspend.

Reading previous reports for other ThinkPads (X1C6 for example), suggests that in these older models, hardware support was there but it needed to be enabled with some patching -- and eventually the addition of a suitable BIOS switch for 'Linux' vs 'Windows' suspend types (https://delta-xi.net/blog/#056, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=234913). But it appears that the X1 Nano doesn't support the deep (aka S3) suspend type (https://jcs.org/2021/01/27/x1nano).

Since Ubuntu comes pre-installed in certain X1 Nano models, I assume that this issue is resolvable as a 5%/hr drain is simply unacceptable during suspend mode (battery nearly fully dies overnight!). Can anyone help with this?

Options

218 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

366 Signins

2411 Page Views

• Views: 2411
  • Message 2 of 23

Re:X1 Nano deep suspend

2021-04-09, 9:36 AM

S3 suspend is not supported on TigerLake model processors as a design decision by Intel and is not a result of lack of support in the BIOS.  I am sorry to hear you are having large power drains while in standby mode.  When I tested this I found that the battery for me was draining at about .8% per hour.  Please verify that you firmware BIOS/EC are at the latest levels

Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 3 of 23

2021-04-10, 20:46 PM

Yes, I discovered that Tiger Lake doesn't support S3 but still it appears that even with s2idle suspend, my X1 Nano is clearly using far more power than expected.

My BIOS version is 1.39. I checked for BIOS updates with `fwupdmgr` which indicated that there are no available firmware updates, but I see from Lenovo's support site that BIOS 1.41 was released just a week ago (no idea why fwupdmgr is failing here).

So I rebooted into Windows to update. This was nowhere near as smooth as I would have liked, with the first couple of attempts corrupting the BIOS and needing to be restored by the self-healing mechanism... another story... anyway, it now looks like I have 1.41:

sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
N2TET63W (1.41 )

My suspicion is that there is something about the vanilla Ubuntu install which isn't set up right, though, rather than the minor BIOS update. Do you generally install vanilla Ubuntu direct from the live image, or are there ThinkPad-specific kernel / driver / modules / settings / something else which you also apply?

Other things that come to mind:

- I installed TLP (necessary to get battery life from 6h --> 10h) -- default settings. Are you using this? (And if not, how do you reach advertised battery life with Ubuntu?)

- I'm not really sure how best to test configuration changes, since waiting overnight after every change to test whether it has any effect on battery drain is impractical

Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 4 of 23

2021-04-11, 6:41 AM

Another possible clue: sometimes, when the machine is docked (monitor, external USB drive, keyboard, mouse, ethernet) and suspended overnight -- power light and Thinkpad lid indicator blinking -- I come back in the morning to find the machine fully switched on.

I'm not sure what causes it to wake up in this scenario, but perhaps this indicates that even in suspend mode, the laptop is never fully asleep and is able to be woken up by events. On battery (e.g. in my laptop bag) I guess remaining in this partially-awake listening mode is what is draining the battery, although without the possibility of a LAN event to actually wake up, since there is no ethernet cable plugged in and no wi-fi when away from home. The laptop appears to stay suspended with the blinking lights etc. when in my bag, but maybe some deep process is still keeping the CPU active and listening...?

Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 5 of 23

2021-04-13, 6:52 AM

Confirmed, also with BIOS 1.41, battery drain was about 40% last night when left unplugged right before going to bed. Something is badly wrong - this is not suspending at all.

Options

218 Posts

12-17-2018

United States of America

366 Signins

2411 Page Views

• Views: 2411
  • Message 6 of 23

2021-04-13, 11:04 AM

For reference I am running 1.39 BIOS and I was not testing on Ubuntu, actually I have Fedora 33 installed at the moment.  I do not have TLP installed.  I will reinstall with stock Ubuntu 20.04-02 and see what my findings are.

Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 7 of 23

2021-04-15, 9:57 AM

It may or may not be related to my high-drain suspend problem (I will test this overnight later), but I've noticed that while docked to the ThinkPad USB-C dock (connected to external monitor, USB keyboard and mouse, and ethernet), my X1 Nano always immediately  re-wakes from sleep. Related to this issue perhaps: https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/view/15028/5070505?page=2

A post elsewhere concerning a slightly different issue highlighted that settings in /proc/acpi/wakeup were causing issues: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1920960#c6

The author of the last post in this thread observed problems with the wakeups on some attached devices (WWAN modem) using the pcieport kernel driver. My X1 Nano doesn't have a WWAN modem but it does still have three devices using the pcieport driver (see attached lspci report). These three devices are also all set to 'enabled' for wakeups in /proc/acpi/wakeup (see attached report) so I wondered what happens if I disable the wakeups:

for dev in PEG0 TRP1 TRP2; do sudo sh -c "echo $dev > /proc/acpi/wakeup"; done

Now my machine appears to stay suspended even when docked -- providing I use the power button. (If I then close the lid, the machine wakes up again!).

I don't know if this will have any impact on the battery usage while suspended, but perhaps there's something here of relevance?

Whatever the outcome, suspend on X1 Nano + Ubuntu appears to be very badly supported (I am certainly not the only one reporting high-drain issues either: https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/mc9gww/x1_nano_running_linux_recommended_settings/). I'd still be interested to know what Lenovo's pre-installed Ubuntu flavour does differently to vanilla, if anything, since I can't believe the laptop is sold with such poor suspend support out of the box...

Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Views: 5346
  • Message 8 of 23

2021-04-15, 17:29 PM

Hi @tamias 

A recent piece of mildly interesting information I came across is that apparently on Windows when you connect a TBT device the device appears to be asleep but it does actually wake up but just keeps the screen off so you don't 'see' it. We don't have that feature on Linux so everything wakes up and you see it (and then will eventually suspend again). 

For the Nano - we've tested that internally, and done energy cert, and confirmed the CPU is getting to the lowest states so I'm scratching my head a bit. I can make the OEM image available for you if you want to try it (PM me and I'll share the link - it's not on our support page yet). I'm not convinced it will make a difference though - there's nothing special done for the OEM image, but it would be great to have as a data point.

Mark

Options

13 Posts

04-02-2021

Switzerland

10 Signins

55 Page Views

• Message 9 of 23

2021-04-15, 17:40 PM

Hm, that is interesting indeed! That behaviour at least explains the wake-ups when docked.

I'd be interested to try the OEM image in that case (will PM you) -- I assume it will be a "fair test" if I run a live image from a USB stick? I'd rather not wipe and re-install unnecessarily, since this is my primary machine...

Options

676 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

471 Signins

5346 Page Views

• Views: 5346
  • Message 10 of 23

2021-04-15, 20:37 PM

Hi,

Sent you the image, but it will wipe your system I'm afraid so you might not want to use it. It's designed to rescue a system back to the same state it would be in manufacturing I'm afraid....

I'll have a think if I can come up with an alternative....might get you to run some tools to confirm if your system is sleeping but I need to check if I'm allowed to share them outside Lenovo first

Mark

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms