Views: 1,164
Message 21 of 80

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen S3 Sleep Linux

Thanks, can I also ask what the output of

cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
is?

It should say:
s2idle [deep]

I found out that when I have [deep] sleep support on in my system with BIOS firmware 1.27, it immediately wakes up again.
I installed Manjaro next to Fedora, and found out that s2Idle is the only thing that makes my system go te sleep.

But it gets stranger, my system does not go off anymore either! It immediately turns on again after shutdown. And not only in Linux, but under Windows as well! I cannot turn my computer off anymore, until I runs out of battery, or I hold the power off button in the BIOS boot/setup screen!
LvanderRee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,130
Message 22 of 80

After a lot of trial and error I fixed my issue.

Don't know what caused it, don't know what fixed it!

But for future reference, and anyone who experiences the same issue, some hints:

• I downgrade my BIOS Firmware version to 0.1.25)
  • I loaded all setup defaults in my BIOS (of course disable secure boot, and restore thunderbolt rights without bricking my device)
  • I entered BIOS setup, and turned off my computer by dissabling the battery. Result: computer stayed off until power was connected.
  • I booted Windows, entered power management settings, and restored and reaplied the default power profile, see: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1C6-BIOS-1-34-update-halved-my-battery-time-...
  • I disabled in Windows all the (W)Lan adapters ability to wake on (W)Lan (WoWLAN, magic packages, etc)
  • I entered my BIOS again to verify all power settings, and Windows/Other OS compatibility settings and whatever I could find.

My guess is this last step changed something, but I don't know how it got changed that breaked it (Firmware update?), I don't know if it is incombination with other changes I made.

phsamuel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,089
Message 23 of 80

Please do not hijack this post and let Lenovo know that they should fix the bios themselves. The solution is out there for X1 carbon 6th gen, which is essentially same architecture as X1Y3. There is no reason why Lenovo can't bring a fix for yoga. It is a $3000 laptop and it is ridiculous that sleep does not work out of the box. And they haven't given a single response on when an actual bios fix as X1C6 will be available.

AlexXXL
SCSI Port
Views: 1,013
Message 24 of 80

@phsamuel, to be honest, it might look like Leonovo doing right thing : windows 10 is pushing that modern standby. So they may say : it is up to drivers, software, windows, blah-blah. But actually, we have left on our own with things, we have : 3K laptop turned to boiler and piece of junk.  And all claims, Lenovo says, must be read like : yeah, we missed the target, but look : bullets left the barrel, so this problem is on target's side.

It is nice shot, Lenovo, to claim your glorious CoproNomy leadership

dawid_w
Fanfold Paper
Views: 963
Message 25 of 80

@AlexXXL:

Uhm, and what prevents Lenovo to implement this option in their BIOS and disable it per default?

Users which never heard of sleep states won't turning it on and users which know what they are doing (or pretend to do so) are able to switch it on, with all "consequences" in their mind.

@Lenovo:

I just bought a X1Y3 and I want to be solely the one, who is switching things on and off.

I purchased a brandnew, extremely expensive convertible, so this is *my* property...

Why should I keep that machine for 2.500 bucks, if I am not allowed to use it how I want?

And to make sure someone of the mods actualy read this, I will report this comment for myself.

gwilson19
Punch Card
Views: 907
Message 26 of 80

Lenovo, please add proper S3 support to the X1 Yoga 3rd Gen BIOS as you did for the X1 Carbon Gen 6. Please.

dawid_w
Fanfold Paper
Views: 848
Message 27 of 80

*coughs*

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 772
Message 28 of 80

As a owner of a X1CarbonG5 and a X1CarbonG6: that S0 is still not available for yoga is really very disappointing. I'm definitely NOT going to buy a new laptop until I'm 100% sure that it supports S0 as an option. I've tried Si03 for months, but Modern Sleep is just not usable - in the worst case you will take out your laptop with empty battery as a hot brick with broken bezel. Sry Microsoft, but at this point you have failed without measure.

jinming868
Punch Card
Views: 743
Message 29 of 80

why lenovo doesn't give up s3 sleep for x1 yoga 2018,but it has gave s3 to x1 c 2018!!!!

why lenovo doesn't give up s3 sleep for x1 yoga 2018,but it has gave s3 to x1 c 2018!!!!

modern sleep 's desc is so good, but it's work so bad in my x1 yoga 2018,and it's cost so much power in sleep!!!

can you image ,a night it has cost more than 30% battery...

tg16
Paper Tape
Views: 588
Message 30 of 80

I want to add my voice to the disgruntled users of this thread.

Lenovo, please fix the S3 sleep issue with the X1Y3. You did it with X1C6, you can do it with the Yoga.

(For any Linux users who are contemplating Lenovo laptops -- please do thorough research before you buy. The X1Y3 has at least 2 serious functionality problems under Linux. One is Lenovo's fault: the S3 deep sleep debacle. The other is more likely a Linux kernel thing: touchscreen functionality is hit-and-miss -- mostly miss -- after a wake-up.)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors