Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,621
Message 41 of 76

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen S3 Sleep Linux

I ended up getting a Matebook X Pro (2018). It has great reviews from linux users & can be had for a really good price. I got the 2018 version since it was marked down and the just announced 2019 version isn't a big enough upgrade to wait and pay more - I'm happy with the specs of the 2018.

The MBXP doesn't do everything the X1YG3 does (fold in half)...but it does one very important thing the X1YG3 can't...it goes to sleep.

Good luck y'all.

#unsubscribed

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Fellowgreen
What's DOS?
Views: 1,168
Message 42 of 76

I’ll be selling this X1 Gen 3 Yoga also.

i find it difficult to understand how Lenovo could think this is acceptable. I cannot use my multi thousand dollar laptop with Linux.

goodbye Lenovo. Let us know when you provide compatible computers for professionals.

joncamfield
Paper Tape
Views: 1,009
Message 43 of 76

Adding a +1 to the need for sleep support for Linux.  Between this, touchscreen flakiness, and the absolute lack of support for the fingerprint reader and WWAN support is unacceptable for a theoretically certified laptop

jimbojim
What's DOS?
Views: 943
Message 44 of 76

The S3 issue really needs to be fixed. I don't understand how this can happen when the 6th Gen Carbon got a patch. This is clearly a priority issue, NOT a technical issue.

I always recommend T and X series to my friends for thier longevity and quality but I'm probalby going to move towards recommending another brand givien this lack of willingness to fix a simple problem.

Highlighted
zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 897
Message 45 of 76

I finally relented and patched my ACPI DSDT to enable S3 support in Linux. I was hoping Lenovo would provide a fix and I could avoid this but at this point I'm not holding out hope. I wrote up detailed instructions on how to do this in case anybody else is interested. https://github.com/zachsmith/x1yg3-suspend-to-ram. My instructions assume Fedora but should be easily adapted to other distributions.

It may sound complicated but it's honestly quite easy.

There are other instructions out there that provide similar results (here (step-by-step), and, here (script), for example) but the instructions I posted above provide a way to persist the updated DSDT across kernel updates and initramfs image builds by relying on dracut and grub configurations rather than building a cpio archive and manually patching the initramfs image  as described in other instructions.

If you use these instructions on a distribution other than Fedora, please consider providing a pull request with any necessary updates to the instructions.

This is not ideal but I hope it helps. This makes my X1YG3 so much better and wish I'd done this a long time ago...

LENOVO: YOU SHOULD STILL OFFER A BIOS UPDATE WITH S3 SUPPORT FOR X1YG3!!!

zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 813
Message 46 of 76

I've recently added solutions for the following suspend related problems I've encountered in case anybody is experiencing these:

1. Fails to suspend due to XHCI error: PM: Device 0000:00:14.0 failed to suspend async: error -16

pci_pm_suspend(): hcd_pci_suspend+0x0/0x30 returns -16
dpm_run_callback(): pci_pm_suspend+0x0/0x120 returns -16
PM: Device 0000:00:14.0 failed to suspend async: error -16
PM: Some devices failed to suspend, or early wake event detected

2. /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Device or resource busy

If you use suspend-then-hibernate you may encounter a situation where your system will not properly suspend. This can be caused by an error writing to the /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm. You'll see something like this in your journal:

Failed to write '1557511414' to /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm: Device or resource busy
systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Failed to start Suspend; Hibernate if not used for a period of time.
Dependency failed for Suspend; Hibernate if not used for a period of time.
suspend-then-hibernate.target: Job suspend-then-hibernate.target/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Stopped target Sleep.

3. Touchscreen or stylus unresponsive after resume from suspend

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 702
Message 47 of 76

Finally! And it works:  [ 0.501371] ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)

Thanks Lenovo!

CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 1.33

[Important updates]
- Enhancement to address security vulnerability CVE-2018-12126,
  (https://cve.mitre.org//cgi-bin//cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-12126)
  anticipated to be published 05/14/2019.
- Enhancement to address security vulnerability CVE-2018-12127,
  (https://cve.mitre.org//cgi-bin//cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-12127)
- Enhancement to address security vulnerability CVE-2018-12130,
  (https://cve.mitre.org//cgi-bin//cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2018-12130)

[New functions or enhancements]
- Updated the CPU microcode.
- Updated the Diagnostics module to version 04.08.000.
- Support Optimized Sleep State for Modern Standby in ThinkPad Setup - Config - Power.
  (Note) "Enabled" selection is optimized for Windows OS,
         "Disabled" selection is optimized for Linux OS.

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where system might automatically wake up right after shutdown.
- Fixed an issue where Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen2/Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock
  LAN device might not be recognized as boot device when system in legacy boot mode.
- Fixed an issue where system might hang up at POST when some KVM device was connected.
- Fixed an issue where system might not wake from suspend by power button.   

zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 651
Message 48 of 76

Looks like they pulled it. Version 1.33 was up there earlier but is missing now.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...
zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 650
Message 49 of 76

The .cab file is still up for linux if anybody is willing to try installing it...

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n25et47w.cab

Details:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n25et47w.txt

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 609
Message 50 of 76

Now, THAT is disturbing. So one of the updates must bring a major bug with it. And I have it now on my machine.. Cat Mad

Nevertheless, I did not notice any unusual behaviour, yet. Let us hope that the 1.34 revision will be there soon.

Edit: The X1 Carbon 6th Gen 1.38 BIOS with almost similar updates (release date May 13) except for S3 which came with 1.30 has not been withdrawn yet. Hence, the reason for the withdrawal may be related to the X1Y3 S3 implementation.

Can somebody from Lenovo please let us know if it is "safe" to use the 1.33 BIOS or if downgrading to 1.30 is strongly recommended?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors