Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
taaem
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 718
Message 61 of 73

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen S3 Sleep Linux

You can download the .cab file from the Lenovo support site and manually install it via

fwupdmgr install n25et47w.cab

To the ones that already installed the update:

I still have the issue that the touchscreen sometimes stops working after suspend (especially after closing and opening the lid) are you experiencing that too?

jimbojim
What's DOS?
Views: 714
Message 62 of 73

I’m having the same issue. I’m on Arch Linux. 

wurstpfote
Punch Card
Views: 566
Message 63 of 73

Apparently, there was a good (even though not critical) reason for the pull related to S3 sleep:

<1.34>
 UEFI: 1.34 / ECP: 1.14
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where Modern Standby setting worked oppositely.

gebi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 544
Message 64 of 73

Finally. Good to hear that S3 finally is supported. I'm still on Bios 1.21 as for later versions the FAN is not working.

Can somebody confirm a working fan for 1.33/34 ?

IMHO: I feel a bit unsave to play with thinkfan.

taaem
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 540
Message 65 of 73

For me the fan is still not working on the latest, I'm just using thinkfan.
It seems the fan isn't even spinning up while doing the firmware update, so it's probably completely broken inside the firmware.
lsmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 409
Message 66 of 73

As I have the ACPI hack running I am not in a rush but I am a bit surprised that fwupd still only lists 1.30. How quickly do they normally put new versions on there?

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 338
Message 67 of 73

I know that this is a Linux thread and I'm not trying to hijack the discussion, but just in case there are any frustrated Windows users out there: the fix seems to work well on Windows 10 too.

I just installed it, disabled Modern Standby in the BIOS settings and finally - finally!! - my X1Y3 sleeps properly. Also, I can now turn off my screen without the whole system going to sleep, which wasn't possible with Modern Standby enabled.

Not a day too early.

nicok
Punch Card
Views: 292
Message 68 of 73

Just for curiosity, do the new 2019 models support normal old standby?

zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 196
Message 69 of 73

I've got the 1.34 BIOS installed and it seems to expose S3 to Linux regardless of the BIOS setting for "Modern Standby". Is anybody else noticing that?

• I updated from 1.30 to 1.34 and just left the new "Modern Standby" setting as default (which is "enabled")
  • I booted my computer up with my ACPI DSDT patch from 1.30 just to see what would happen - and it worked as before. S3 worked, etc.
  • I removed the DSDT patch, regenerated my initramfs, and rebooted by computer - still with Modern Standby "enabled" - expecting that S3 support would be lost but S3 support was there. I double-checked this a few times.

Has anybody else noticed this to be true?

Honestly, I'm glad if this is the case because I dual-boot and according to Microsoft, if you have a Windows 10 installation on a computer that supports Modern Standby, S3 cannot work without re-installing Windows. Found on this microsoft documentation:

You cannot switch between S3 and Modern Standby by changing a setting in the BIOS. Switching the power model is not supported in Windows without a complete OS re-install. 

I know some X1YG3 customers out there who are primarily Windows users have not been happy with the Modern Standby support but because I use Windows infrequently, I haven't found it to be problematic and I really don't want to have to re-install Windows after making a BIOS tweak.

This is a Linux thread so I'm not interested in talking about Windows specifics but I do find it interesting that S3 seems to be exposed to Linux by the BIOS even with Modern Standby enabled and in my opinion, that's a good thing - no need to "disable" Modern Standby to get S3 to work with Linux.

Well done, Lenovo! Thank you!

MarcusO
SCSI Port
Views: 187
Message 70 of 73

Honestly, I'm glad if this is the case because I dual-boot and according to Microsoft, if you have a Windows 10 installation on a computer that supports Modern Standby, S3 cannot work without re-installing Windows.

For what it's worth, I disabled support for Modern Standby in v1.34 BIOS and got good old Sleep back on my Windows 10 installation, without having to reinstall the OS. No more Modern Standby over here.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors