Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zaxmyth
Fanfold Paper
Views: 957
Message 71 of 80

Re: X1 Yoga 3rd Gen S3 Sleep Linux

Good to know! I updated my X1YG3 notes and added a link to your comment.  https://github.com/zachsmith/x1yg3-suspend-to-ram

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 72 of 80

@gebi
Am on 1.34 fan does work as it should and has on all prior BIOS updates.  Ubuntu 18.04.2 is my primary OS and did kick in on win10, though I rarely boot into it.  One thing I hate about last 1.34 BIOS update (and some prior versions too) after bios flash, when it reboots, fan kicks in for a second or too like it's about to explode.  No other times have I experienced such suddent jolt spooling up.

@lsmith
On 5-28-19 when trying out Fedora, it's update did show 1.34 available.  Though I later updated through win10 Lenovo Vantage.

Wasn't aware about S3 workarounds/patching.  Been hibernating so far, since ~10%/hr in standby isn't what I call inovation in this day and age.

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 798
Message 73 of 80

wow, the wheel has been reinvented.  ~5%/11hours vs 10%/hr with modern standby disabled.  Less battery wear, once again.  Thanks Lenovo.

tg16
Paper Tape
Views: 656
Message 74 of 80

Hello all,

I am on FW 1.34 and I run Ubuntu 18.04.2 with the 4.15.0-52 kernel. I think the latest update broke sleep functionality: when I close the lid (or suspend via other means) the computer seemingly goes to sleep (screen goes blank, keyboard goes dark, red LED starts blinking) and then a few seconds later the computer wakes up.

dmesg tells me that ACPI still supports S3 sleep but it also comes up with the following message:

ACPI: button: The lid device is not compliant to SW_LID

It's been more than 6 months struggling with this machine with maybe a 3-week hiatus of FW 1.34 working correctly (I was doing the ACPI hack until then). I have no idea what reasonable recourse I have other than switching to windows ro selling the **bleep** laptop.

Any ideas?

---------------------

Installed FW 1.35 via windows (Lenovo Vantage) and sleep functionality is back on Linux. Should I just ignore all subsequent kernel updates?

---------------------

2019-06-29 update:

I spoke too soon. The computer does go to sleep but wakes up after some time on its own (no wake-on-LAN or bluetooth connections). I don't know how long it takes -- less than a few hours. I am at loss again.

gebi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 581
Message 75 of 80

hi,

did you try a newer kernel ? I'm on Ubuntu 19.04 5.0 Kernel and S3 sleep works now.

There are backports for 18.04.

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 498
Message 76 of 80

@tg16

I'm on 18.04.2 with current 4.18.0-25 kernel.  No sleep, no hibernate issues, or wake ups.  Wake ups on windows 10 is what got me to the linux side of things ~ end of 2018.  Tried Ubuntu, liked less wear and tear on battery and cpu besides everything else being 4-6x faster.  Current bios 1.35.  I dual boot.  Learned Ubuntu and it became my primary OS.  When I learned about new update of "proper sleep", I changed bios setting to "don't reduce the life span of my battery and HW", "modern sleep-disabled".  Windows update, I think it was from 1809 to 1903, changed it's priority in bios to boot first.  Which I changed and put it back in it's place, second.

tg16
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 77 of 80

I updated the Kernel but no luck. Finally, I re-installed 19.04 with the 5.0 kernel and I have had good results so far. In the beginning I thought I had the same problem -- unprovoked wake up -- so I put first the computer to Airplane Mode and then closed the lid. That definitely worked.

After a few tries, I closed the lid under normal conditions (active Wifi but inactive Bluetooth) and it has been successful as well -- the machine stays in S3 for long periods (>24H) and does not wake up on its own. My next attempt will be to try S3 while BT is on (I have a BT mouse).

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 429
Message 78 of 80

@tg16 My machine goes to sleep with Wi-Fi on, manually or...

@tg16

My machine goes to sleep with Wi-Fi on, manually or “auto suspend” after set time, Wi-Fi shouldn’t have any affect on S3. I don’t use Bluetooth mouse, so no comment on that.

You might know this but I’ll mention, FN wakes up the machine and if you have enabled in BIOS “Power On with AC Attach”… and you mentioned “wake on lan”.

19.04 is nice. New features, snappier, RAM management seemed better, battery might last a bit longer. My preference is for LTS and am looking forward to 20.04 LTS.

Do keep Linux, windows and Vantage side of things up to date.

gebi
Fanfold Paper
Views: 406
Message 79 of 80

Re: @tg16 My machine goes to sleep with Wi-Fi on, manually or...

Nice to hear that,

I agree with you, 19.04 is a very good release. IMHO the best so far.

My only complain is the not working fan ! I had to setup thinkfan - bummer.

The second (minor) issue is, that you have to press the power button for wake-up from S3.

Opening the lid is not sufficient.

Keep
Punch Card
Views: 379
Message 80 of 80

@gebi

Does your fan work as supposed to under windows?

Myself don’t have a problem, though windows runs hotter than Ubuntu.

Just did a quick check, since I don’t use all these.

Waking from S3: Power button, FN key (just one press)(some bios settings might affect this), opening the lid, closing the lid, flip/fold into tablet (but not out of).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors