Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,987
Message 31 of 64

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04

@rushforth
I would end up carrying around a screw driver on a business trip and just seems precarious. 

I always carry a screwdriver in my backpack anyway, so... Smiley Happy

Well, anyhow, that's a **bleep** shame. I was hoping that it really ignores non-PCIe modules in the WWAN slot.

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,950
Message 32 of 64

@rushforth
For me I would be concerned while travelling that if I accidentally run out of power completely I would then need to open the unit up to get past boot error.  Suppose if one was super dilligent about never running all the way out of power, even while sleeping, it could work, but I would end up carrying around a screw driver on a business trip and just seems precarious.

I did some actual testing. This setup survives both hibernation, soft power-off AND hard power-off (via holding power button for 5s). I do not know what differs between our configurations, but it actually works for me.

Highlighted
rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 1,902
Message 33 of 64

Would you mind sharing your bios configuration, or at least any part pertaining to power management, wwan, usb.  

For example, in the "Security", "I/O Access" area of the bios, if i disable the WWAN, it will let me start up with any card in it.

But then it seems I have no way to re-enable that once I am booted, effectively seems to just ignore the port entirely.

You meantioned ACPI Rf Kill a few posts ago - are you doing anything with regards to this? 

Is there more configuration on the linux side? 

Did you do any physical hardware modification to your em7455?

Thank you - if there is some difference in our config that would be welcomed and would give a lot of people a chance to have some wwan solution. 

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,894
Message 34 of 64

@rushforth

So.

Would you mind sharing your bios configuration, or at least any part pertaining to power management, wwan, usb.  

My BIOS settings are essentially stock -- with the exception of Secure Boot turned off.

For example, in the "Security", "I/O Access" area of the bios, if i disable the WWAN, it will let me start up with any card in it.

But then it seems I have no way to re-enable that once I am booted, effectively seems to just ignore the port entirely.

Of course, the WWAN I/O access is turned on. Yes, turning that off disables both PCIe and USB interfaces of the slot, so it would be pointless to talk about it otherwise.

You meantioned ACPI Rf Kill a few posts ago - are you doing anything with regards to this? 

No, that is unrelated completely. I'll try to explain briefly.

The "rfkill" is a software abstraction inside Linux kernel that allows to control hardware radios from inside the OS. When you press the WLAN hotkey, your DE intercepts it, toggles the corresponding rfkill, which is handled by the platform driver (thinkpad_acpi in our case), which handles it, making a call into ACPI BIOS code, ultimately contacting the EC which flips some wires on the mainboard.

The problem is that the firmware fails to detect a non-standard WWAN card and consequently does not export the control knob to the OS, which in turn does not export it as a rfkill (because you can't abstract over a thing that does not exist). Instead, it (the firmware) unconditionally asserts the W_DISABLE1 pin in the M.2 slot which makes any compliant card shut down its radios. Thankfully, W_DISABLE1 pin can be overridden from inside the EM7455 via the at!pcoffen=2 command. That's all about it.

Is there more configuration on the linux side? 

None.

Did you do any physical hardware modification to your em7455?

I actually did: I resoldered a broken MHF4 connector. Smiley Wink But that is unrelated, again.

Thank you - if there is some difference in our config that would be welcomed and would give a lot of people a chance to have some wwan solution.

There actually may have been. See the next message.

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,890
Message 35 of 64

Now about the thing that actually may have mattered.

When I first bought the X1C6, I did a sector-perfect dump of the NVMe disk, erased it and installed Linux without ever booting into Windows. When I decided to upgrade the system firmware for Linux compatibility fixes, I did it via the Linux-native fwupd tool. (In fact, fwupd told me that my existing version is too old for fwupd to be able to flash it, so I had to do it in two steps: first I flashed v1.17 via a bootable CD, then I flashed v1.31 via fwupd.)

So, Immediately after that process I got the Unauthorized WWAN card message (despite that the stock Fibocom was still inside it!).

After a reboot, it went away by itself.

The thing is, updating via fwupd or not should not have had any effect on the firmware whatsoever (because the actual flashing is performed via the UEFI capsule by the firmware itself). But, maybe something went "wrong" and disabled the white-lists as a side effect.

Again, this is a wild guess. But this is the only thing that may have mattered.

lsmith
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,838
Message 36 of 64

from my understanding people have managed to force the fibocom card into USB mode by covering specific pins but it then failed to work due to a suspected whitelist. 

at any rate I am not quite sure I understand the steps for getting the Sierra Wireless card to work: does it require hot swapping in S3?

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,826
Message 37 of 64

@lsmith

at any rate I am not quite sure I understand the steps for getting the Sierra Wireless card to work: does it require hot swapping in S3?

As it turns out, I don't understand them too.

My initial intention was to hot-swap in S3 (because I almost never reboot anyway and always carry a screwdriver, so that's no problem for me), but then it turned out that whitelists just don't trigger on my laptop, as magically as it sounds.

I made a speculation, but somebody above did some testing and could not reproduce these effects, so it must be something that is specific to my laptop.

Now, I'm making another speculation: something went wrong during two BIOS upgrades that I made (v1.xx -> v1.17 via bootable CD and v1.17 -> v1.31 via fwupd). But I have no possibility to prove it, refute it or investigate further (mainly because this is a brand new PC which is on its 3-year warranty, so I'd rather avoid disassembling it and messing with the SPI flash).

rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 1,697
Message 38 of 64

Hi,

Tonight I tried to replay the exact steps again, including all of the flashing via linux fwupdate and swapping cards in s3 state more.

I was too able to recreate the whitelist error with the stock fibocom card.  This was very exciting, becuase it did go away on its own.

But alas, after swapping back to the sierra card, the system will not survive with a fresh start. 

rushforth
Punch Card
Views: 1,686
Message 39 of 64

@intelfx  can you let me know the output of these commands:

at!usbvid?
!USBVID:

OK
at!usbpid?
!USBPID:
APP : 9071
BOOT: 9070

OK

Just want to make sure I am 100% replicating your usbvid and usbpid.  Thanks.

intelfx
SCSI Port
Views: 1,656
Message 40 of 64

Yep — that's it.

at!usbvid?
!USBVID:

OK
at!usbpid?
!USBPID:
APP : 9071