cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎04-28-2014
Location: CH
Views: 734
Message 61 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@intelfx wrote:
is this a Lenovo branded version?

As evident from `lsusb` listing, it is not. Lenovo-branded EM7455s have VID/PID equal to 1199:9079, while mine identifies as 1199:9071.

 

so according to you the EM7455 is in fact whitelisted in the Bios, because so far I have seen mixed reports on this.

Based on the above (there is no point for Lenovo to whitelist a generic ID pair), I'd suspect a stronger statement: that X1C6's WWAN whitelists only apply to cards with PCIe interfaces. But we'll need someone with another USB-only WWAN card to verify that.

 

have you used it yet? if so how stable is the connection?

It is stable. I do not see any problems specific to X1C6.

Old message, this one is. However, in the light of the X1C7 and its optional WWAN module Fibocom L860-GL under Linux, I am going through this old thread. See also: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-7th-Gen-X1C7-first-look/m-...

 

My X1C2 has the following card:

Bus 002 Device 018: ID 1199:a001 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

And I wonder if it'll work in C7, same as it reportedly does in C6.

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
dbao
Punch Card
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎11-07-2009
Location: US
Views: 715
Message 62 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@NikosAlexandris

 

My X1C2 has the following card:

Bus 002 Device 018: ID 1199:a001 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

And I wonder if it'll work in C7, same as it reportedly does in C6.


Fibocom L850-GL has both PCIe and USB interface. Intel provided PCIe-USB bridge driver for Windows but no such for Linux. Lenovo blocks L850 USB interface on BIOS. So L850 will not work under Linux.

 

L860 is a PCIe only device (4 antennas total, last one before 5G, 5G Fibocom F300 has 6 antennas). Right now there is no Linux driver. 

 

None of Sierra Wireless card will work on x1c7, x1y3, x1y4. It can work on X1c6 with some hack (see previous discussion).

 

 

NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎04-28-2014
Location: CH
Views: 682
Message 63 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@dbao wrote:

@NikosAlexandris

 

My X1C2 has the following card:

Bus 002 Device 018: ID 1199:a001 Sierra Wireless, Inc.

And I wonder if it'll work in C7, same as it reportedly does in C6.


Fibocom L850-GL has both PCIe and USB interface. Intel provided PCIe-USB bridge driver for Windows but no such for Linux. Lenovo blocks L850 USB interface on BIOS. So L850 will not work under Linux.

 

L860 is a PCIe only device (4 antennas total, last one before 5G, 5G Fibocom F300 has 6 antennas). Right now there is no Linux driver. 

 

None of Sierra Wireless card will work on x1c7, x1y3, x1y4. It can work on X1c6 with some hack (see previous discussion).

 

 


Thank you @dbao.

 

(How much does it _cost_ to @Lenovo to provide a WWAN module/driver/you-name-it supported under Linux?

Is it about "cost"? Is it about "time"? Is it about "politics"? Is it about "indifference"?)

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
intelfx
SCSI Port
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎09-15-2016
Location: RU
Views: 636
Message 64 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@NikosAlexandris wrote:

(How much does it _cost_ to @Lenovo to provide a WWAN module/driver/you-name-it supported under Linux?

Is it about "cost"? Is it about "time"? Is it about "politics"? Is it about "indifference"?)


Likely a bit of everything — race to market, paired with cutting down on the costs, paired with politically driven indifference.

jakajancar
Paper Tape
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎08-06-2019
Location: US
Views: 357
Message 65 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04

Wow, @rushforth @intelfx, amazing work on bisecting this. There's this bit in "4116236 AirPrime EM7455 Product Technical Specification r14.pdf" (registration needed), so maybe this is what FASTENUMEN affects, not sure. Also, I saw that some laptops have Rapid Boot (not sure about X1) which disables USB at boot — perhaps that would also bypass the USB whitelist.

 

@intelfx, a few questions:

  • I'm curious how you got the idea to change FASTENUMEN in the first place?
  • Have you tried also EM7565? The timings for that (from "41110788 AirPrime EM7565 Product Technical Specification r10.pdf") are even longer. It has PCI, but it's reserved for future use. Not sure if that means it enumerates and triggers the whitelist, or if it's completely dead and invisible to BIOS.
  • Assuming *ANY* USB device is whitelisted on a device (e.g. this thread says L830-EB is on some laptops), do you think simply changing Sierra's VID/PID would work (and patching the kernel to use the right driver)? Or does BIOS do more checks than just VID/PID? Or are Sierra's limited to which VIDs/PIDs you can set?

@dbao, I doubt the accuracy of some of your statements:

  • "Final story: Lenovo remove "whilte list" from x1C6 BIOS version 1.34. If you have x1C6, you can use any wwan card after 1.34 update." — this is wrong, correct?
  • "Lenovo blocks L850 USB interface on BIOS." — this is also wrong, correct? (L850 disables it's own USB if PCIE is used - link)
  • "None of Sierra Wireless card will work on x1c7, x1y3, x1y4." — What leads you to believe this? E.g. are you sure X1C7 doesn't work exactly the same as X1C6?

Did you ever get to the bottom of why @intelfx's method didn't work on your x1 yoga 3?

 

 

NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎04-28-2014
Location: CH
Views: 324
Message 66 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04

Hard to believe there will be one. Maybe/hopefully for the newer module L860-GL?

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
dbao
Punch Card
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎11-07-2009
Location: US
Views: 308
Message 67 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@jakajancar

@dbao, I doubt the accuracy of some of your statements:

  • "Final story: Lenovo remove "whilte list" from x1C6 BIOS version 1.34. If you have x1C6, you can use any wwan card after 1.34 update." — this is wrong, correct?
  • "Lenovo blocks L850 USB interface on BIOS." — this is also wrong, correct? (L850 disables it's own USB if PCIE is used - link)
  • "None of Sierra Wireless card will work on x1c7, x1y3, x1y4." — What leads you to believe this? E.g. are you sure X1C7 doesn't work exactly the same as X1C6?

Did you ever get to the bottom of why @intelfx's method didn't work on your x1 yoga 3?

 

 


1. Not true, wifi white list removed, wwan is still there --- but now x1c7 and x1y4's wifi are fixed to board, no removable.

2. True. I did remove pci pins to enforce boot to usb interface and I can see BIOS white list error

3.  EM7455 on x1c6 is more like a BIOS bug

 

I try to build a M.2 to M.2 extenstion cable, with 2 sec delay switch on 5V power pins. By this way, you can boot thinkpad with any wwan card, This idea is similar to EM7455 on x1c6. But EM7455 has limited delay which won't work with x1y3 or x1y4. 

intelfx
SCSI Port
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎09-15-2016
Location: RU
Views: 297
Message 68 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04


@jakajancar wrote:

 

Wow, @rushforth @intelfx, amazing work on bisecting this. There's this bit in "4116236 AirPrime EM7455 Product Technical Specification r14.pdf" (registration needed), so maybe this is what FASTENUMEN affects, not sure. Also, I saw that some laptops have Rapid Boot (not sure about X1) which disables USB at boot — perhaps that would also bypass the USB whitelist.


Honestly no idea what's that "single enumeration" and "double enumeration" in the doc. I'm not too versed in USB physical layer operations, sadly.

 


@jakajancar wrote:

 

  • I'm curious how you got the idea to change FASTENUMEN in the first place?

That's very simple. You may notice in my first post in this thread I (wrongly) claimed that EM7455 will work on X1C6 out of the box. However this was only true for one particular EM7455 that I moved from my old laptop. It was partially damaged (broken diversity antenna connector), though, so I bought a new one and immediately discovered that the new one won't pass whitelist checks. From that point, I simply compared all known configuration tunables on the old one and the new one (using the old laptop) and it was fairly obvious which one to try first. Smiley Wink

 


@jakajancar wrote:

 

  • Have you tried also EM7565? The timings for that (from "41110788 AirPrime EM7565 Product Technical Specification r10.pdf") are even longer. It has PCI, but it's reserved for future use. Not sure if that means it enumerates and triggers the whitelist, or if it's completely dead and invisible to BIOS.

I actually did, but hit a problem very early: when I hot-swap the modems in S3 and then wake the laptop up, it would play a tune(!) with its internal speakers (not a beep code, but an actual tune) and then completely hang until reset. I'd bet it's related to the modem's PCIe interface (AFAIK PCIe devices have their state saved and restored by system firmware on S3 suspend/resume, and the firmware may have gotten confused when a new PCIe device appeared out of nowhere), but I did not investigate further.

 

I should just stick that modem in my old laptop and see if the same idea works, but I just haven't got around to it.

 


@jakajancar wrote:

 

  • Assuming *ANY* USB device is whitelisted on a device (e.g. this thread says L830-EB is on some laptops), do you think simply changing Sierra's VID/PID would work (and patching the kernel to use the right driver)? Or does BIOS do more checks than just VID/PID? Or are Sierra's limited to which VIDs/PIDs you can set? 

What do you mean "any USB device is whitelisted on a device"? I used to reverse engineer older Lenovos' whitelist enforcement code and it indeed looks on VIDSmiley TongueID only, so this may work. However, that's too much hassle — and if I recall correctly, you can't easily change either VID or PID on these Sierra modems (I don't remember which, and I'm unsure if that's still true).

NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎04-28-2014
Location: CH
Views: 255
Message 69 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04

For your interest

 

 

Subject: 答复: [External] Fibocom's L860-GL
From: PSREF
To: Nikos Alexandris
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2019 01:14:34 +0000

 

Hi Nikos,

Yes, both X1 Carbon (7th Gen) and X1 Yoga (4th Gen) have optional Fibocom L860-GL WWAN module.

 

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Nikos Alexandris
发送时间: 2019年8月8日 3:23
收件人: PSREF
主题: [External] Fibocom's L860-GL

 

Dear Lenovo,

can you please verify whether the listed optional module

• Integrated Mobile Broadband 4G LTE-A, Fibocom L860-GL, MIMO 2x2, M.2 card

 

is correctly present in the specifications for the following two laptops:

- https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_7th_Gen

- https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_X1_Yoga_4th_Gen

 

?

 

Kind regards, Nikos Alexandris

--
Nikos Alexandris | Remote Sensing & Geomatics GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3

 

Admin note; email addresses removed to prevent spambots gathering it / Community Guidelines

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3
NikosAlexandris
SCSI Port
Posts: 63
Registered: ‎04-28-2014
Location: CH
Views: 77
Message 70 of 76

Re: X1C gen 6 - Fibocom L850-GL - Ubuntu 18.04

I wonder:

 

- is it possible to (reverse engineer) write a Linux driver for any of the L850 or L860 modules? Obviously, without any hardware hacking.

- if yes, can someone estimate how much time does such a task cost?

- would anyone consider doing this as a paid task?

 

Thank you

Remote Sensing & Geomatics
GPG Key Fingerprint 6F9D4506F3CA28380974D31A9053534B693C4FB3

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors