Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 378
Message 1 of 5

X1Y4 Trackpoint not working with Linux Mint 19.2

I bought two identical X1Y4, one for me and one for my wife.  They arrived at the same time and I performed all updates in Windows. 

For the model that was intended for me, I then installed Linux Mint, and everything worked as expected (with the known issues on this forum).

The model that was intended for my wife had a broken touch screen (non responsive) and was essentially dead on arrival. Lenovo replaced this one with a new identical model, and I performed the same updates in Windows and installed Linux Mint.  The only problem...the trackpoint and trackpoint buttons do not work (the touchpad DOES work).  I rebooted into the BIOS and tested the hardware, and the trackpoint is recognized in the BIOS, just not when I boot into Linux Mint.  I tried rebooting into a live USB and the same results.  When booting into the live USB, the trackpoint will work on my laptop, but not on my wife's.  I also tried installing the synaptics driver with no results.

Does this sound like a driver issue?  Should I reinstall Windows to try and update the driver for the trackpoint?  Any other suggestions?

I would like to make sure that this is a software issue that can be resolved before my return window closes.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Lenovo Employee DaveOber
Lenovo Employee
Views: 351
Message 2 of 5

Re: X1Y4 Trackpoint not working with Linux Mint 19.2

Can you tell me if the to systems have the same trackpoint hardware.  You can identify the them by the color of the peg under the red rubber thackpoint.  They should be either white or black.  This could help identify if it is a driver/firmware issue.

ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 316
Message 3 of 5

Hi Dave,

So my laptop (the working model) has a white trackpoint while my wife's has a black trackpoint under the nipple.

Any advice?

Thanks for your help!

ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 254
Message 4 of 5

Bump.  Thanks to anyone for help on this issue!

ThinkOperator
Fanfold Paper
Views: 126
Message 5 of 5

Quick update - this problem fixed itself somehow.  I hopped on my wife's laptop to install something, and noticed that the trackpoint is working and buttons are working now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors